Consensus on Full Sized Pickup Trucks

124»

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 26,573
    Toyota Tundra
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I wouldn't base a vehicle buy on tech toys. Especially a truck.

That's a big 10-4 (in my book, at any rate).
    Trucks are for those days when you need a bunch of 8 foot 2 x 10s. Don't need a 12" touch screen for that.

:|

• Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 7,430
    Toyota Tundra
    Toyota seems to be always lagging in bells and whistles but the resale value is always higher... coincidence? or just better engineered.I had a couple of "Toyoda" trucks and FourRunners as well as a few Lexus vehicles (GX470 and GS 350 AWD) and was always pleasantly surprised at the resale value, reliability and overall quality of the vehicles...So the Tundra gets beat up for lacking "technology" and being due for a "design update" which really has nothing to do with reliability and overall quality. What "tech" features is it lacking for y'all as I really don't see something that I need that is missing?

I do like the Ford with the V8 too but comparatively costs more.

I am listening for info to come out on the '21 models to see what's new and maybe to get a deal on a leftover.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • KexKex Posts: 4,343
    edited June 26
    Any truck available today will do the job intended (which in this case, like the vast majority of trucks today, seems to be more about driving than real hauling or heavy work). So the choice is more subjective.

Good resale value is reassuring, but since our truck is 26 years old, it’s not always a priority for those who keep their truck more than ten years (people leave notes on our truck asking if we’ll sell it to them). Reliability is also important. From our community of horse haulers (anywhere from a hundred miles to over a thousand), there is no real consensus on which brand is least likely to leave you on the side of the road - which spirited horse owners dread, because horses are fickle beasts, and if they get stressed, could even die from being stuck in a trailer on the side the freeway for too long.. Ford and GMC or Chevrolet are the most popular, by far. RAM is also liked by some. (No Toyotas at all, if anyone is wondering, because they don’t have the specifications required for horse hauling, but that’s not a consideration here). Most of these vehicles are kept for about 200,000 miles, and then replaced.

Previous stuff that I read would suggest the RAM had the best interior of all the current generation, although I preferred the look of the interior of that Tundra pic you posted earlier in cognac brown. The interior is where one spends most of one’s time in any vehicle and the 2021 F-150 has a much better interior than the 2020 from the photos. I hated the 2020 interior, so subjectively, I would never have bought one. Some of the newer technology makes the vehicle nicer to drive, and a more comfortable place to be, especially for longer drives. Some of it might be just bling. When I compare the interiors of newer models compared to my older stuff, I would never go back.
    Alea jacta est!
  • JstasJstas Posts: 14,247
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I wouldn't base a vehicle buy on tech toys. Especially a truck.

That's a big 10-4 (in my book, at any rate).
    Trucks are for those days when you need a bunch of 8 foot 2 x 10s. Don't need a 12" touch screen for that.

:|

Depends on what you're doing with the truck. Not all trucks are work trucks or lumber yard haulers. If you're towing something long distances like a boat or a camper or a horse trailer or a race car trailer or something of the sort, having the navigation and all the trailer monitoring stuff as well as comfortable seats can be a big benefit.

I've driven a basic truck very long distances (1200 mile round trips) and it wears on you after a while what with the road noise, rough ride and less than desirable vinyl bench seats. I would have much preferred a more car like interior on those runs instead.

And the turbo thing...the turbos that had the problems on Saabs...that was 30-40 years ago, folks. 30-40 years. The turbos on the Saabs died early deaths because of not only design issues centered around inadequate cooling and oiling but really loose tolerances for something that is spinning 9,000-15,000 RPM. Additionally, the engine management technology was not nearly good enough to manage the fuel mapping for a turbocharged engine. Worse yet, many were carbureted engines and that tech was no where near good enough to properly meter fuel through a turbo's operating range. Especially as fuel demands change the faster the turbo spins. A single set of jets cannot adapt to that so you either run super rich when not under boost which blows a bunch of soot into the turbo housing or you run lean at the top end of the boost and cause severe problems due to overheating. Modern fuel injection has fixed all of that. Turbo tech and mass machining capabilities are light years beyond where they were in the early to mid 80's. Turbos are not as fragile as they used to be. Lighten up and step out of the past already.

Also, the Toyota resale vs Ford/GM/Dodge is due solely to quantity and demand. Toyota has this undeserved reputation for being well engineered and really reliable because of the same dated mentality that makes people equate 40 year old turbo technology with a modern turbo setup. It's all hype and dated/misinformation. Maybe in the 80's it was different but from about 1992-1993 to present, it's not true anymore and the rest of the truck manufacturers have stepped up their game and pretty much closed the gap. Mainly because Toyota, Nissan, Mazda and Isuzu were eating their lunch and they HAD to or they would have been out of business.

Toyotas have higher resale value because for every Toyota out there, there's 10 Fords and 10 Chevies. Toyota's error rate is actually higher than Ford or Chevy, statistics show it and statistics also show that the customers of Toyota are more willing to overlook small issues like shoddy window buttons or poorly wearing seat upholstery because of the idea that the Toyota is better, no matter what. Whereas those same people give damning marks to Dodge, Chevy and Ford for similar problems. But, because of this biased hype surrounding Toyota and the fact that there's a tenth of the Toyota trucks out there as Ford or GM or Dodge, supply is low and demand is high. So of course people are going to pay a higher price for a used Toyota. I mean, if you have 30 used trucks on your used car lot, statistics say that you're likely to have 10 Fords, 12 GMs, 5 Dodges and 3 Toyotas in that mix. Maybe a Nissan and only 11 GMs. If you get 20 customers coming and 8 want GMs, 5 want Fords, 2 want Dodges and 5 want Toyotas, you're going to have a price war on your Toyotas and 5 Fords, 3 Dodges, 3 GMs and a Nissan that didn't sell unless a Toyota shopper or two decided to get one of the others instead.

The false hype breeds a seller's market which keeps resale high. Yet statistically, Toyotas are no better than the Fords, Dodges or GMs. In fact, the statistical differences are so small between those 4 that due to the sheer numbers of Fords out there, alone, no including GM, the differences end up being the equivalent of a margin of error. Include the GM and Dodge production numbers and Toyota's total production is a margin of error while the overall production error rates across all trucks, not just a single manufacturer, is so small that it's pretty much a rounding error. So they are all on pretty much even ground. So basically, it comes down to human prejudices and brand loyalty. Has nothing to do with actual engineering, quality, longevity or statistics.

Except Nissan. The Frontier makes up for the Titan a bunch but the Titan has abysmally poor reliability and quality marks that are so bad that despite the Frontier being an indestructible vehicle and out selling the Titan almost 3 to 1, it can't overcome the Titan's poor marks. Maybe that's changed recently but with all the issues that Nissan has had, especially with the Renault/Peugeot relationship, I don't think it's changed much in the last 10 years.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,761
    edited June 26
    Toyota Tundra
    Ford needed to step their game up with their interiors on $70K trucks, and they have for 2021.

That onboard power generator thing is intriguing. Apparently has the capability of two 20-amp circuits with the engine running. Not sure how they can do all that. Must be some kind of magic involved. Could run a good home theater system with that though!

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/06/5-fun-facts-about-the-2021-f-150s-onboard-generator.html
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A31 and A23 amps; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 and JC5; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Marantz SA8004 SACD; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Anthem Pre-2L SE; Parasound A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; PS Audio Power Director 4.7; MIT S3 cables
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 1,596
    Chevy/GMC
    Jstas wrote: »
    but really loose tolerances for something that is spinning 9,000-15,000 RPM

Multiply by a factor of 10. Not to go off on a tangent, but that was one area I was referring to in regards to using good synthetic oil in general.

Those turbos spin around 150,000 RPM, some slightly less, some higher. High quality oil is a must.
    gmcman wrote: »
    but really loose tolerances for something that is spinning 9,000-15,000 RPM

Multiply by a factor of 10. Not to go off on a tangent, but that was one area I was referring to in regards to using good synthetic oil in general.

Those turbos spin around 150,000 RPM, some slightly less, some higher. High quality oil is a must.

Not the ones from 1980's Saabs, dude.

More modern, stuff, yeah but that's because, like I said, higher tolerances as well as smaller sizes.

Toyota Tundra
    Small displacement turbo charged motors show no evidence of being as reliable as large or small displacement normally aspirated engines...are they better then they used to be ?

Perhaps

https://www.designnews.com/electronics-test/are-small-displacement-turbo-engines-reliable-long-term

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 698
    Ford F150
    I can say there are plenty of people on the F150 forums complaining about the recent 5.0 motor between noises and oil consumption issues.

I had a 2010 ram hemi and now own a 2019 F150 with the smaller 2.7 EcoBoost. For everyday driving the small EcoBoost is hands down quicker, more fun to drive, and about 7mpg better for back road work travel. Time will tell on longevity but there are multiple people already over 200,000 miles on theirs with just regular maintenance.

Mind you I don’t tow a ton except for a couple ATVs from time to time. If I did tow a bunch I’d be shopping for a 3/4 ton myself.
  • shawn474shawn474 Posts: 3,134
    Toyota Tundra
    Toyota has this deserved reputation for being well engineered and really reliable.....

It's all based on easily tracked data and information.

Toyotas have higher resale value because for every Toyota out there, there's 10 Fords and 10 Chevies. Toyota's error rate is actually higher than Ford or Chevy, statistics show it and statistics also show that the customers of Toyota are more willing to overlook small issues like shoddy window buttons or poorly wearing seat upholstery because of the idea that the Toyota is better, no matter what.

The proven reliability and value breeds a seller's market which keeps resale high.

Fixed some of this for you....

I won’t disagree that the tundra is inarguably a dated, but bulletproof platform. Same with the 4runner.

Perhaps some are willing to overlook the bells and whistles and small oversights on interior and such because it is still one of the most economical “investments” available. In an inherently diminishing valued asset, long term return on investment is important. To suggest that a $70k truck that doesn’t have nearly as big as resale value as a “better” truck is a losing argument.....unless said truck meets your specific needs.

And also, it must be mentioned when you speak of misinformation that the tundra is one of the more “American made” trucks on the market......
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
    I would appreciate it if you weren't so arrogant as to twist my words to fit your agenda.

edited June 26
    Toyota Tundra
    I would appreciate it if you weren't so arrogant as to twist my words to fit your agenda.

Noted John.....I then would appreciate you sparing the forum of your monologue spreading misinformation to further your agenda and getting your feelers hurt when someone counters. I didn’t realize that statement of fact was “furthering an agenda” except to say that Toyota makes a vehicle that IS high is resale value and IS high in reliability and IS more made in America than most realize.....is there an argument to be made there that you’d like to expound upon?
    Shawn
    Toyota Tundra

shawn474 wrote: »

Noted John.....I then would appreciate you sparing the forum of your monologue spreading misinformation to further your agenda and getting your feelers hurt when someone counters. I didn’t realize that statement of fact was “furthering an agenda” except to say that Toyota makes a vehicle that IS high is resale value and IS high in reliability and IS more made in America than most realize.....is there an argument to be made there that you’d like to expound upon?

Screw you.

I'm entitled to speak my mind just as you are entitled to not read it

Toyota Tundra
    Screw you.

I'm entitled to speak my mind just as you are entitled to not read it

So I will take that as a “no” answer to my question?
    Shawn
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 5,533
    Chevy/GMC

Still relevant...
    “If your eyes didn’t water, it means I didn’t go deep enough” says the nurse administering my COVID19 test. She was sweet...
    Toyota Tundra

Toyota Tundra

Toyota Tundra
    More speculation

• boston1450boston1450 Posts: 6,678
    Chevy/GMC
    Do it
    Randy/Maine .. SDA-CRS+TL-RTA15TL-Cs1000p
  • verbverb Posts: 10,313
    Chevy/GMC
    I'm biased of course!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cables, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,518
    Ford F150
    F150; I'm basing this mostly on my last weeks purchase of a new 2020 Ford Ranger. Chevy's flimsy body panels kept me away from them and I also wanted a domestic made vehicle so Toyota was out. I originally was going with a F150 but the Ranger was a better fit for my situation. 7,500lb towing, 1850lb load capacity and 20-24 mpg with a 2.3L twin turbo that has 270hp and 310 ft lb's torque. Good luck with your purchase. It had been a while for me and I had forgotten just how stressful new vehicle shopping can be.