One year without alcohol

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited July 2019
    audioluvr wrote: »
    My best friend is one of those people that can't stop at one. It's all or nothing with him and this saddens me terribly.

It's really difficult to do so, but consider mentioning to him that you're concerned and saddened by his consumption of alcohol. If he is your best friend, he should appreciate you doing so. But, speaking from experience, it'll be difficult for him to accurately "see" the situation he's in, until he's out of it.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I do but you're absolutely right. He just doesn't see it as a problem.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    I can relate to the above. My BIL is probably what is termed a functioning alchy. Several years ago he told me that his blood work was cause for concern regarding his liver. For awhile he went to light beer and rarely drank gin....that's all history now as each day it's beer at noon followed by several gin and tonics the rest of the day.

I've been down the road of booze abuse, a very slippery slope. I'm glad I got it under control and I now drink for the enjoyment of the taste and not the need. Glad you figured out where you were on that spectrum Drew, many do not until it's too late.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • audioluvr
    Congrats! I made it 3 days once. 3 days of aches and pains and insomnia. I only drink for medicinal purposes.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Hope you guys don't mind that I'm going to bump this thread every year. Today makes three years of no alcohol for me!

congrats Drew
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Fantastic Drew and yes, One day at a time.
    I have a couple years myself!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Post every year my friend. ;)

You remind me of almost 32 years I've done without. I've had about 6 or so beers in this span though.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Congratulations Drew and others that have made smart choices. You have much to be proud of.
  • Clipdat
    Thanks for all the support guys, I sincerely appreciate it.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Hope you guys don't mind that I'm going to bump this thread every year. Today makes three years of no alcohol for me!

Don't mind and not only is it encouraged but expected now!! this is something to celebrate.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,492
    Congrats Clipdat. Very nicely done.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    Good work Clipdat!
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    Excellent progress on your daily journey. Congratulations and you have my upmost respect!
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    Congratulations not an easy thing to do for those addicted.

Regards Snow
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Congrats, keep on keeping on!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Congrats and I look forward to this thread being bumped by you on a yearly basis...……...have a few friends that I wish would see the big picture as you have.....you have my upmost respect
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited June 2020
    Congratulations Drew, very well done! One day at a time, Pal. I look forward to seeing your annual bump of this thread!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Congrats, Drew. Another year, another hashmark. Some mornings after I consider doing this myself.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Very cool Drew! Awesome achievement!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hey brother!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Congrats Drew!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Drew, Congratulations!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Congrats!!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • audioluvr
    Quitter!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Congrats again. ;)

That's a hard goal to keep after especially after the past year and a half.

Keep it up till you can sit and enjoy one or two.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    congrats!
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • Clipdat
    Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Tony, I appreciate the sentiment but I'm going the rest of my life completely without. I can't ever go back to drinking alcohol.