Just purchased the s60s -- question about what receiver to get?

New here--If I only plan on using the s60s for music in the 2.0 setup, not for surround or home theater, do I still need to drop big $$$$ for the pioneer elite like I read in an earlier discussion, or can I get something in a lower price range and still do the s60s justice? I guess my question is, what is the most affordable receiver I can purchase that is appropriate for the S60s. Thanks!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    For 2 channel music you definitely do not want an AVR, you want either an integrated amp or separates.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited June 2020
    alextwolfe wrote: »

Yes that would be much better than an avr. I really think you should step up to the 801 to power those towers...looks like the 701 and 801 are basically the same except the 801 adds a usb DAC, so if that’s not important you could save $100 and get the 701...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    If you don’t mind the “no frills” aesthetics, this NAD C316BEE V2 is a great deal from a very reputable dealer (Safe & Sound).

NAD Electronics C 316BEE V2 Stereo Integrated - Refurbished - $315 shipped.

Includes a toroidal power supply, and is 4Ω stable (without resorting to the use of a “safety” switch, like some systems).

I have owned both NAD and Yamaha, but neither of these exact models. I would expect NAD to have much more authority than Yamaha, with more dynamic sound, especially for two channel.
    Alea jacta est!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Kex wrote: »
    If you don’t mind the “no frills” aesthetics, this NAD C316BEE V2 is a great deal from a very reputable dealer (Safe & Sound).

NAD Electronics C 316BEE V2 Stereo Integrated - Refurbished - $315 shipped.

Includes a toroidal power supply, and is 4Ω stable (without resorting to the use of a “safety” switch, like some systems).

I have owned both NAD and Yamaha, but neither of these exact models. I would expect NAD to have much more authority than Yamaha, with more dynamic sound, especially for two channel.

Dude that weighs 12 pounds. I would be highly a skeptical that it can push anything other than a very small or very efficient speaker well...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited June 2020
    I saw that too, @rooftop59, but I’ve never met a NAD that couldn’t drive with more authority than the specifications might suggest.

The Yamaha doesn’t have a toroidal power supply, and uses a limiting switch to protect itself from damage with speakers rated 6Ω or lower. That to me implies that it doesn’t really have the same grunt, which is also what my experience with the brands would lead me to expect.

Neither are bad options, though. Marantz and Cambridge Audio would also be worthy contenders. It’ll be tough to beat the performance for just over $300, though.

P.S. Buying from Safe & Sound is also a much better proposition than A4L, if there’s ever a need for customer service, after sales advice, or a return request.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I would be highly a skeptical that it can push anything other than a very small or very efficient speaker well...

Well, you'd be wrong.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Clipdat wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I would be highly a skeptical that it can push anything other than a very small or very efficient speaker well...

Well, you'd be wrong.

I agree. The "power envelope" technology developed by NAD works very well and the C 316BEE that I have has had no issues driving the Polk L200 speakers or the ELAC DBR62 speakers. FWIW, towers are actually easier to drive than their bookshelf counterparts. Cambridge Audio CXA60/CXA80 would work very well. Musical Fidelity M2si. Denon PMA-600NE/PMA800NE. I haven't personally heard a Marantz or Yamaha integrated amp so I can not comment on them.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Look into the Marantz PM7000N streaming integrated amplifier. Have tried it personally with the S60 with great results and the streaming features are super convenient if thats your thing.