Consensus on Full Sized Pickup Trucks

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Toss up between Toyo ans Ford. There is a reason Ford sells lots of 150s.
    Why does it matter where the money goes, it's going to help your neighbour, your city, your state if the product is made in your country. Bob, Bill and Rob need jobs which in turn they spend in your neck of the woods. So toyo for reliability and resale.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Toyota Tundra
    The raptor is an absolute beast but it’s basically a one trick pony......it’s build for off road / speed. And it’s 80k+. No doubt it’s a beautiful truck with incredible specs....but completely impractical for the average person.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Chevy/GMC
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I don't know why he is so hell bent on naturally aspirated. That twin turbo Ford has out with a 6 banger is faster than my truck that has a Corvette LS1 engine sittin' in her.

When I had my truck in the shop for hail damage, the insurance company gave me a Ford to drive while it was in the shop. I went to the mountains for a vacation that week and the entire time, I swore I was driving a V8.

It was when I went to fill up the gas tank that I knew something was off. It was small and a heck of a lot cheaper to fill up than mine. Plus, it dawned on me that I had been driving around for a while....so I looked.

I was astonished that it was a 6 banger twin turbo. It sounded like a V8. It drove like a V8. It scooted like a V8 and apparently, it was rated to haul 1500 more pounds than my 2500HD.

That Raptor is a good lookin' truck!

Tom

+1 on this. I drove an “eco boost” F150 as a rental for 4 months and 20,000 miles, and absolutely fell in love with it as a daily driver.

If the OP were open to turbo, this discussion would be “case closed” as far as I’m concerned.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Toyota Tundra
    I have been looking at trucks too but since I live in a crowded city environment the Honda Ridgeline would suit my own needs best.

Sounds like the Tundra is the best option for what the needs are. The Platinum trim and 1794 Edition have ventilated seats, which are a good idea for warm climates. The Tundra V8 with dual exhaust sounds great! At least Toyota prices their trucks realistically. None of the $70K MSRP and then routinely knock $12K off the sticker games of the US brands.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited June 2020
    Toyota Tundra
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I have been looking at trucks too but since I live in a crowded city environment the Honda Ridgeline would suit my own needs best.

Sounds like the Tundra is the best option for what the needs are. The Platinum trim and 1794 Edition have ventilated seats, which are a good idea for warm climates. The Tundra V8 with dual exhaust sounds great! At least Toyota prices their trucks realistically. None of the $70K MSRP and then routinely knock $12K off the sticker games of the US brands.

I commute to DC every day with the tundra. The gas mileage stinks but it’s comfortable, safe and I can’t see myself going back to a car. That said, I DO have a garage at my place of employment that has ample room
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Toyota Tundra
    My brother has a Ridgeline and loves it.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Chevy/GMC
    If you don't care about MPG, then the Tundra is a nice option. I'm in the market as well for a full-size truck and with kids the rear seats are a big issue.

The only cab I've liked is the Ram 1500 Laramie since the rear seats recline slightly, not sure about the Tundra but that's not an option due to it's lower tow rating.

Reclining rear seats is not the ultimate deal breaker but is very high on the list.

The Ram 1500 Laramie with the 3.0 diesel can tow a little over 12,000 lbs and gets 29 MPG hwy....and is very comfortable. Even though it can tow 12K, I get the fact a large skid steer is different than a 35' travel trailer.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Chevy/GMC
    What is the "level kit"? Did it have the Carolina squat when you got it?

Nice lookin' truck BTW....and I am being serious. What is a level kit?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Toyota Tundra
    Raises the front to be level with the back
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • daddyjt
    Chevy/GMC
    VR3 wrote: »
    Raises the front to be level with the back

Why? Is there a mechanical advantage?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• VR3
    Toyota Tundra
    I believe it's just for looks, makes the truck sit flat versus angled
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Chevy/GMC
    Gotcha, thanks. I guess if you haul then it's wasted money because you WILL be doing the Carolina squat. My truck levels out with a heavy load.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Level kit in my case was Toytech Boss kit up front . Better shocks and springs that are adjustable from one to three inches and shackles in the rear with better shocks for added 3 inches up front and one inch in rear. Let’s you have bigger and wider tire options. Levels out the truck compared to as was said lower in front than rear stock. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Toyota Tundra
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I'm torn....

dcj66clpapfj.jpg

owd7lfm53p0i.jpg

ysyrwojawcw6.jpg

vvsujji3thu2.jpg
    That Tesla reminds me of the truck in the arcade game Moon Patrol
  • Mikey081057
    edited June 2020
    Toyota Tundra
    I like a truck without badging.... especially decals... I like white and silver... No dark colors here in FL.

The Tundra 1794 in white has a nice "baseball glove" leather interior.

znat5als2xy5.png

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    What's the significance behind calling the Tundra 1794 the Tundra 1794? "

I mean I get Ford's "King Ranch" trim level, King Ranch is an actual cattle ranch. I get calling the similar trim package in the Dodge, Laramie Longhorn for similar reasons. But I'm not seeing the significance of 1794. Especially in regards to Toyota.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Mikey081057
    Toyota Tundra
    They bought a property in TX which was the "1794 Ranch" or some hoopte.

http://news.millertoyota.com/colonial-legacy-is-honored-with-toyota-tundra-1794-edition/

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    That's kind of a stretch. I mean, I see what they are trying to do but they are using the name/date from a Spanish ranch to show how "American" their pickup truck is? I mean, it's not even a "Texas ranch" since it was created before even the idea of the Republic of Texas was around. I mean, in 1794, it was even called Spanish Texas and that's after it was called French Texas and before it was called Mexican Texas which was before it was the Republic of Texas and way before it was the State of Texas.

Whatever.

Silly marketers.

Pay attention to your history classes, kids. They're important.

I digress.

Back to your regularly scheduled content.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Mikey081057
    Toyota Tundra
    Right ... So you have a truck that by name says it could brave the Arctic Tundra built at an old Spanish Texas ranch made by TexMexskimos?

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Toyota Tundra
    Saw an all black Ridgeline yesterday, good lookin grocery getter.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    anonymouse wrote: »
    I have a 2014 Silverado in their top High Country trim. I wanted to buy an American truck, so immediately ruled out Toyota. I did look hard at the RAM and Ford. The Ford steering seemed too lazy to me. Maybe they have changed that. The RAM had a loud cabin, with engine and road noise above acceptable levels for me. The Chevy is whisper quiet inside - something to do with how they have managed the door seals and sound dampening materials. It basically is the comfort of a cadillac with a truck bed on the back. I looked at the GMC as well, but did not like that it was only available in black interiors in their top trim. The high country had a more country style feel to it with brown interiors.

It's been reliable for the most part - but had its fair share of recalls. I am NOT happy at all with how GM has handled their responsibilities. Most recently, there has been a widespread issue with the brake pump, and GM did not issue a recall, just an advisory. This is a critical issue where the power brake assist fails without warning, and you have to literally stand on the brake to stop it. GM's position is that the vehicle still stops, so not worthy of a recall unless the brake pump has basically failed. Total bull if you ask me... I hit a wall in a parking lot because of this issue. GM also discovered a seatbelt issue where the seatbelt was fraying because of friction with the interior trim... their solution was to have the dealer rip into the interior trim with a... get this... exacto knife. Yes, they wanted the dealer to rip up the interior of a $60K truck with a knife... and considered that an acceptable solution. Oh... and the truck does have a chassis rust issue... but I think all trucks do. They need to learn a thing or two from Hyundai... I have an 11 year old Hyundai with almost no rust.

Overall good truck, really poor warranty and penny pinching on defect remediation by GM.

Would you be interested in changing your vote.
  • Mikey081057
    Toyota Tundra
    That would rule out GM for me... I have had app 1M miles on Toyota/Lexus vehicles with out any troubles at all... No recalls No in or out of warranty failures. My last GM vehicle might have been my last. I am between Ford and Toyota. The Ford is expensive but the Tundra is a gas guzzler... $8000 buys a lot of gas tho...

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Toyota Tundra
    Get the Toyota Already.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • daddyjt
    edited June 2020
    Chevy/GMC
    That would rule out GM for me... I have had app 1M miles on Toyota/Lexus vehicles with out any troubles at all... No recalls No in or out of warranty failures. My last GM vehicle might have been my last. I am between Ford and Toyota. The Ford is expensive but the Tundra is a gas guzzler... $8000 buys a lot of gas tho...

Not that it will (or should) factor in to your decision making, but In the interest of full disclosure - On a “per vehicle sold” basis, Toyota actually has quite a bit higher recall rate than GM...

92casjiyhi3p.jpeg

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn