The Garden/Landscape Thread

Comments

• Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Hi,

Does anyone have an idea what are this? They have started spreading all over. I have try the normal selective weed killer and the more aggressive BioAdvanced DuraZone Weed & Grass Killer. To no success.

During the summer I don't water the lawn is too big and will required a lot of water as it gets over 98 degrees regularly.

But this one are still nice and green. Interestingly they grow around the edges.

8pfy6ouq0eo1.jpg
    q6ezugeipl0d.jpg

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    The top photo looks like Dandelion Leaves
    The bottom photo, with its Saint's fleur de lis style leaves doesn't register.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    A type of thistle. Spray it down with vinegar and salt. I use 1 gal. Vinegar and 1 cup salt in a pump up sprayer. To keep cracks free of weeds spray some used vegetable oil. Nothing will ever grow there again
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Yep it's green because the roots are about 2 foot or longer.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Will try it over the weekend.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    When the yellow Irises fade, the purple start to pop. Louisiana Gamecock......yes it's a dirty flower. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Where dat be at yo'? Dis yo' backyard digs?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbiron
    The wife and i are going to look at trees this weekend.
    Possibly a Prairifire Crabapple, a Snowdrift Crabapple, Pagoda Dogwood, or some other variety of dogwood.

More to report on this later as i have picked up 1/2 a truckload of massive retaining block for the next outdoor project...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Be careful with the dogwoods. Blight can kill a new planting in just a couple years. So if you are looking at them, look for a blight resistant strain.

If you can, see if there is a local gardener with established trees that are putting up saplings. You can cut one of those saplings out and a whole tree will grow fairly quickly. Established trees are more likely to be blight resistant and not affected as much by the various leaf fungi that can plague a dogwood.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mrbiron
    Thanks for the help J. We ended up sticking with the Prariefire Crabapple. Hard to find and a little spendy.

Almost done with this project. The best part about living in Worcester County is the ridiculous amount of rocks lurking under the grass.

Just need to level, make a water ring, fert, mesh and mulch. More plants will be added next week.

l53gu8p0jxnz.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I don't think I realized your new digs were in Woosta County! We useta live in Woosta County! B)

Looks grrrreat!

Now I have to whine a little bit. Our grass is dying/going dormant here -- it's been crazy dry and it's recently turned hot just to add insult to injury. No sprinklers here (though in years like this, it crosses my mind). If I added sprinklers, I'd want to give them a dedicated well. We are aggressively watering the gardens; so far, so good.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Very nice 👍
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Wow bro. Looks fantastic!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Congratulations on a beautiful job! I love it!
    Carl

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Great design, the straight lines and colors of the walk highlighted by the curves and plant colors of the bed. Awesome!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mrbiron
    Thanks guys. Now, i just need to get that damn grass to grow back so you get a better pop between that and the mulch. Then ill be a happy camper. Too bad i did so much digging and trampling with the tractor that i need to do it all over again. It did give me an excuse to use the extra loam to shim the low spots.

The good thing is that grass is the easier part to reapply. Drag some tines, maybe aerate, throw some grass see with starter, and let the irrigation take care of the rest.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Looks great, nice clean design.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Looks nice pal....who's buried under that new landscaping ? Sorry, old habits...just curious. :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    mrbiron wrote: »
    The wife and i are going to look at trees this weekend.
    Possibly a Prairifire Crabapple, a Snowdrift Crabapple, Pagoda Dogwood, or some other variety of dogwood.

More to report on this later as i have picked up 1/2 a truckload of massive retaining block for the next outdoor project...

Have you ever seen a Japanese Stewartia Zones 5-8. Beautiful long lasting flowers and amazing fall colors and bark...

https://landscapeplants.oregonstate.edu/plants/stewartia-pseudocamellia

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mrbiron
    One of our prerequisite was it had to stay in the 20’ ballpark. Although that tree looks great, the photos would have scared me off due to magnitude. She’s a big’n. ;)
  • joecoulson
    Hey hey!! Looks great! We just did that too. Been enjoying it every day since. Congrats
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Nice deck!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • joecoulson
    we used a 2x8 cap on the railing so we had almost a bar of sorts for parties - its wide enough for plates and drinks, not too late to add @hochpt21
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    joecoulson wrote: »
    we used a 2x8 cap on the railing so we had almost a bar of sorts for parties - its wide enough for plates and drinks, not too late to add @hochpt21

Yes, we do need to add that as well! The plan is to put a deck board up there, but we ran out. Have to finish the stairs, add that and adding one more support beam just because I want it overbuilt.

Hopefully, finish next week.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A