The Garden/Landscape Thread

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    mrbiron wrote: »
    If its less that 30" above grade, he shouldn't require them.

And that is a church.
    I know a steeple when i see one.
    The huge stained glass windows are also a dead giveaway.
    He is putting an altar on the lower deck Apse.
    And finally, he has a Crossing between the Northern and Southern Transept.

All symptoms of a Church!

Sounds like the genesis (heh) of a Jeff Foxworthy bit.

You may live in a church if...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Doesn't your son-in-law have a farm?

I mean, on a farm, I can see that.

A home owner with a couple acres? That's WAY too much machine, dude. Sure it will last him for decades but that's mostly because he's not going to use it. Honestly, neither would I.

I'm all for overkill but that's just a waste of money for me. I'd sooner buy a used, 1-ton diesel pickup truck for that much than a tractor that would take a 1/4 of my property to be able to just turn around when mowing the lawn.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Beautiful Joe!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand the desire to add on to that deck as it looks perfect as is.
  • mhardy6647
    Jstas wrote: »
    Doesn't your son-in-law have a farm?

I mean, on a farm, I can see that.

A home owner with a couple acres? That's WAY too much machine, dude. Sure it will last him for decades but that's mostly because he's not going to use it. Honestly, neither would I.

I'm all for overkill but that's just a waste of money for me. I'd sooner buy a used, 1-ton diesel pickup truck for that much than a tractor that would take a 1/4 of my property to be able to just turn around when mowing the lawn.

85 acres, mostly wooded with 7 acres of fields and small vegetable gardens (so far) -- yes, it's not for a suburban lot. The funny part, though, is the bigger tractors are much more cost effective than the gentleman farmer tractors. Much better value per dollar spent in those 'midrange' tractors than, say, a 25 HP 4WD Diesel.

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand the desire to add on to that deck as it looks perfect as is.

He needs worship space. ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Not much has changed on my front. (Pun intended) 12 hour days are limiting my progress. A little more sub grading, hand tamping tomorrow, and it will be ready for sand during the snow on Saturday.

wrbgw6kq8rz8.jpeg
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    There's a puerile joke in there somewhere about hand tamping... but, of course, such shenanigans are beneath me.

B)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Change of plan.
    Completely rebuilding the deck.
    Adding 8’ in depth.
    Will be 30x20
    Adding additional wide stairs.
    Adding integral stacked stone fire pit coming through the deck.
    Should get contractor’s sketch this weekend and will post.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Are you gonna incorporate the egg into the stonework?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • joecoulson
    Not yet because I don’t want to be married to the old egg. A new egg might be part of the equation and if it is, a nice new table (on wheels) with it. 😬
  • treitz3
    Awe. come on Joe. You don't need wheels....it's not like they are heavy or anything. o:)

BTW, you want the ultimate? Check these bad boys out >>> https://komodokamado.com/

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • joecoulson
    Whoa bro. That’s insane.
  • treitz3
    No doubt! The big boy is 1,688 lbs and close to 10K. Wowzers.

Tom
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Looking good @mrbiron
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • treitz3
    Get 'er done! This weekend, we planted a Dogwood tree in a new area of the yard that hasn't already been designated as a "garden" area in honor of Mother's Day. We can see if from the MBR, kitchen and sun room. Yesterday, we planted about 12 more perennials that we will enjoy for years to come, removed a tree, trimmed even more trees, cut even more bushes back and worked on that back garden even more.

That back garden in a freakin' BEAST.

Landscaping is fun but my back would argue otherwise sumphin' awful.

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    We plant perennials and the deer munch on 'em :| They eat most of the annuals, too, sooner or later. Not all, but it's hard to get new stuff established here (with a few exceptions).

We do have two crabapples I planted last year out front that -- knock on wood -- ain't lookin' too bad so far.

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Last weekend, (5/2) the 10 day forecast looked great! Lows overnight not predicted to be below 39. So we picked up our plants and vegetables at a local nursery. Rolled the dice and planted 6 tomatoes, 4 zucchinis, and 2 cucumbers. Then two days later, the forecast changed drastically. 5 days in 10 with overnight lows below freezing (bottoming out at around 25). We made a futile attempt at covering the small raised gardens, but lost all our newly planted vegetables... Mother Nature's a ****! Oh well...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    The old tale as to never plant gardens until after mother's day stands tall.
    The last two years have proven that is sage advice
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Depends what you plant. My lettuce, broc, caul, and snap peas are doing fine. Lost my peppers though.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    getting ready to pick first crop of egg plant and peppers this week
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The old tale as to never plant gardens until after mother's day stands tall.
    The last two years have proven that is sage advice

Depends on where you live, though. Up here, the rule of thumb for the sensitive plants ('maters, peppers, etc.) is to wait until at least Memorial Day. After getting a couple of inches of snow Saturday -- yeah, we wait. :)

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Plant potatoes on Good Friday.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    You suck at Tetris. But you can still recover.
    There are so many rocks in my yard!
    This is all I could get done today. Was hoping to finish the main body and feel Noah the cuts throughout the week.

Autocorrect put in “and feel Noah” instead of “and make”. I’m leaving it. :D
    jhptirvc5fes.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    scubalab wrote: »
    Last weekend, (5/2) the 10 day forecast looked great! Lows overnight not predicted to be below 39. So we picked up our plants and vegetables at a local nursery. Rolled the dice and planted 6 tomatoes, 4 zucchinis, and 2 cucumbers. Then two days later, the forecast changed drastically. 5 days in 10 with overnight lows below freezing (bottoming out at around 25). We made a futile attempt at covering the small raised gardens, but lost all our newly planted vegetables... Mother Nature's a ****! Oh well...

I had a Vietnamese friend when I was in elementary school that grew veggies year round just outside of DC. His parents made a foot and a half tall frame and covered it with thick, clear plastic (couple of layers). I remember one time, we had snow on the ground and his mom asked for us to go get some lettuce.

We went outside and even though it was well below freezing, when we opened up the door and crawled in, it must have been 70 degrees inside that little "greenhouse" and it was very humid as well. Picked up a head of lettuce and some carrots, closed her back up and we were on our way to eat some sammiches.

While it was a pain to crawl around to get what you wanted, he always had fresh veggies. FWIW.

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    msg wrote: »
    You suck at Tetris. But you can still recover.
    There are so many rocks in my yard!
    This is all I could get done today. Was hoping to finish the main body and feel Noah the cuts throughout the week.

Autocorrect put in “and feel Noah” instead of “and make”. I’m leaving it. :D
    jhptirvc5fes.jpg

As soon as the lockdown ends, that stand-up comedy career beckons!

B)