Power Line EMI Meter - Alpha Labs (Demo Program)

Options
123457»

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    Woo hoo!
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Brother @indyhawg added to the list! :smile:
    l53ic81pevch.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Thx for the add Dave.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    wgjsxebbs9yn.png

Great Demo program. Thanks Dave.

I took measurements for a few days both during the night and day. Overall, the measurements for the same room at the same time of day were reasonably consistent. I’m pretty happy with most results being < 100 mV around the house except for the computer room. I can understand this with 2 computers, router, network switch, printer etc. It was only hovering around 300 mV. The Panamax downstairs significantly lowered the readings by approx. 30 units.

I definitely want to go to dedicated lines for the music system downstairs at some point. It’s just kind of a PITA with everything already finished. This should already be in dragon’s possession. Thanks again Dave.

Mike
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • dragon1952
    Options
    OK...I've got the meter and have been playing around with it. I'm not real concerned with most of the house. It's a newer house (3 yrs) and in a relatively lower population area. I played around with some of the noise harvesters a while back and they hardly ever blinked so I think we have relatively clean power. Throughout the house I read mostly 50-60mV and under.
    Now to the man cave.
    My man cave is a spare bedroom (10 x 19) that has a 3 x 4 alcove in the back where I have my desktop computer and desk. At the other end of the room is my stereo system. All components are plugged into a Furman PFi 15 elite power conditioner.

Per the manual, the meter displays as a peak to peak value in millivolts in frequencies from 10kHz to 10MHz. 50Hz and 60Hz frequencies are ignored. A reading below 50mV would be considered 'low noise'.
    Here are some measurements I took throughout the room.

To get a baseline I started with the desktop computer and the Furman both turned off and I was measuring under 50mV at the stereo outlet and all other outlets in the room. Low noise!
    When I turned on the computer and the Furman still turned off the reading went up to 500mV at the stereo outlet and all other outlets. Wow...noisy desktop!
    When I turned the Furman on, and with the desktop still on, the noise went back down to under 50mV, at the stereo outlet. But all the other outlets in the room were between high-300's to mid-500's.

So what exactly is happening at the stereo outlet when the Furman is on? Is it absorbing all the EMI and is it getting into the stereo system? Or is it shunting it off somewhere?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote: »

To get a baseline I started with the desktop computer and the Furman both turned off and I was measuring under 50mV at the stereo outlet and all other outlets in the room. Low noise!

When I turned on the computer and the Furman still turned off the reading went up to 500mV at the stereo outlet and all other outlets. Wow...noisy desktop!
    When I turned the Furman on, and with the desktop still on, the noise went back down to under 50mV, at the stereo outlet. But all the other outlets in the room were between high-300's to mid-500's.

What is the reading with the Furman turned on, and the computer turned off?

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dragon1952
    Options
    Under 50mV
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Interesting. It’s the same as the other outlets with the computer turned off. I would have thought the Furman outlets to be lower than the other outlets with the computer off.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Just to be clear, I didn't measure the actual outlets on the Furman itself just the wall outlet that it's plugged into.
    I just checked the actual Furman outlets and they are measuring ~26 - 28mV.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Okay. Got it. Thanks.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    My Furman 20i does the same thing. It lowers the emi a lot on the dedicated circuit it's on and even more out of the back of the unit. To a lesser degree it also lowers the emi on my other dedicated circuits on the same 120 leg when it's turned on.
    It also makes me wonder where is all this extra emi being disposed of? Does the furman send it away or does it gather it up and store it?
  • dragon1952
    Options
    My Furman 20i does the same thing. It lowers the emi a lot on the dedicated circuit it's on and even more out of the back of the unit. To a lesser degree it also lowers the emi on my other dedicated circuits on the same 120 leg when it's turned on.
    It also makes me wonder where is all this extra emi being disposed of? Does the furman send it away or does it gather it up and store it?

Anybody know?

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Little fairies scoop it up, converting it to fairy dust. They then fly far away and use it for good things like curing cancer, making angry people happy and other top secret tasks...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited April 2020
    Options
    All of the basic power filter circuits I know of sends the EMI interference to ground.
  • dragon1952
    Options
    So you think the noise makes it to the Furman through the power cord and then gets filtered back out? The Furman is plugged into one outlet on a dual receptacle and with it turned on I measured just 50mV on the spare outlet on that same receptacle, whereas every other receptacle in the room was measuring ~500mV. Just trying to understand what's happening.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Well I didn't have to work this weekend so I'm home tinkering with the AlphaLab EMI meter (Thanks Dave!).

Initial tests showed some interesting things I was not expecting. With everything unplugged in the house, both the left and right bank outlets (separate phase circuits) showed low noise (50 to 52). The only things plugged in and running were the aquarium filter pump/heater/air pump and LED light about 15 ft away and my laptop which is plugged in via a power strip in a different outlet in the living room but on the same circuit as the right bank. Since I have my laptop on any time I'm listening to music I figured that's a constant that won't change. The aquarium stuff is run off a single power strip so I thought I'd see if it was adding noise. To my surprise when I shut it off the meter jumped up to almost double. Flipped it back down and the numbers dropped again. Somehow this setup was pulling unwanted noise out of the right bank circuit! Which is fine because when I'm listening to Steely Dan the fish prefer that their light is on for that mood effect... I then did the same test for my laptop power strip and it did the same thing only not as extreme but I was definitely getting less noise out of the right bank with the aquarium and laptop on. Hmmm.

Next I plugged in six way adapters to the right and left banks so I can test while plug in and out different devices. No change there. Plugging in my amps increased the noise from 50'ish to 70'ish on both banks (nothing I can do about that!). I had my CA 851N and Belles 21A pre plugged into a Data Shield surge protector in the left bank so I went ahead and plugged that in and the meter went nuts! Screaming at me. So I went ahead and removed that and plugged in the Belles 21A into the left band. This added maybe a few points but now the left bank was holding steady at 72-75.

On the right bank I plugged in the CA 851N (some increase) but the right bank was still holding at 95-105 which was higher than the left bank. I had a single PS Audio noise harvester that I'd picked up a while back and when I plugged it into the right bank it dropped down to 72-82 Now at least both banks are quite similar.

Conclusion to this is with both banks fairly matched I've noticed a slight improvement in the evenness of left and right channel clarity and imaging. Could also be my imagination. I don't run power conditioners here because we almost never have lightning and being only 20 miles from two hydroelectric dams our power here is quite consistent. I think I'm going to invest in a couple more of the PSA NH's and some better power cords (these are almost too short).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    Options
    Thanks Rob for your insights on the EMI Meter! Glad it arrived safely Rich!

Dhavel @jumpindick you're up next!

27apsg33ub9m.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    Options
    First thanks to Verb for setting this up and his generosity! Great stuff man!
    The meter went out to Jumpingdick last Tuesday. I have passed him the tracking details.

My house is relatively new built in the late 80s. I'm fortunate to have a dedicated listening room with limited power needs. That was until It also became my home office with laptop and monitor.

Good news for me was regardless of what I plugged in to the outlets in this room the voltage barely changed on the outlet with the APC line conditioner and the rest of the equipment. Even better was this outlet was the one that already had the lowest readings in the house!

Below are average readings checking multiple times on multiple days

Outlet1: 19-24mV
    Plugged in here is APC H15 conditioner with Rogue Amp and Pre as well as the Lumin T2 and the TT.

Outlet2: 22-26mV
    Same wall 6' away nothing plugged in here - sometimes noise harvester which didn't appear to make a difference either way.

Outlet3: 31-35mV
    one of those Halogen lights - increased by 4-5mV when turned on

Outlet4: 28-34mV
    powerstrip with pc and monitor

Kitchen outlets ran 40-50mV
    Basement outlets 20-30mV

Overhead adjustable lights in the basement had a very small impact on mV in the listening room. Dehumidifier, washer/dryer, dishwasher or AC units also made no noticeable difference. Overall the readings were quite low and I was quite happy.

That said there were consistent small spikes. Somewhere between 15 seconds and a minute apart and sometimes longer I would see tiny spikes to somewhere between 80mV and 150mV. I don't know if that is normal or if I can attribute that to anything in the house. For example...the fridge stayed plugged in ; ) I'd like to think its normal or beyond my control.

If anyone has any thoughts on these little spikes would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again for the opportunity Verb!
    Rich
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    Options
    I know better than to write a lengthy post on the internet without any backup....but alas I didn't write it "offline" in MS Word first. I went to make a simple edit and somehow my post no longer exists. Surely user error. I'll post in the next day or two!
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Options
    Unit arrived safe and sound. I will go through the measurements and will post the findings.
  • verb
    Options
    Glad it arrived safely Dhavel!

Jeff, you're next! @indyhawg

nju41eki4yn1.png
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    @ansleycor In my den I do have one of the MIT line filters. called a predator 3 You just plug it onto any outlet on the power strip and it takes the noise out. PS audio also makes one called a Noise harvester.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Brian you're responding to a spammer. lol :D
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    Options
    @verb -- thanks a lot Dave for letting me use the EMI meter to check the quality of the incoming current, especially in the media room where I have got the stereo system and HT system. The unit is now on its way to Jeff. Here is what I found:

Media room: I have my dedicated stereo system and HT system in the same room. Unfortunately, i do not have luxury of having a separate dedicated room for two channel, yet...The room shares a 20 amp circuit with one of the bedrooms. The breaker is a GFCI breaker.

qdzxyszubspy.png

When I first plugged the EMI meter into the outlets on PS Audio P10, the reading was around 55. This was higher than what I saw when the meter was plugged directly to the wall outlet (P10 gets connected to this same wall outlet). That was a bit disappointing as I thought P10 was suppose to "clean" the power via regeneration. One of the items attached to P10 was Lumin L1 (NAS with SS hard drive). When I disconnected L1, the reading from P10 went down to around 35. Still, this value of 35 out of P10 was very similar to that of the wall socket/outlet to which P10 is connected to. So, did P10 make any difference?

What I also noticed is that when the ceiling lights in the media room were on, the reading on the EMI meter was ~25-30. This was measured by plugging the EMI meter directly into the wall outlets. When the ceiling lights were off, the reading went up a bit to ~35-38 (same outlets). It did not make sense to me on this observation. The light bulbs were all LED. I was under impression that if the ceiling lights were to be on, it would spike the reading on the EMI meter.

The other observation is that my desktop computer is also on the same circuit as this media room. During testing with EMI meter in the media room, the computer was always on. Having it on or off did not change the reading. One thing to note is that I have connected the computer to CyberPower UPS. Could that be the reason why having computer on or off had no impact on the quality of the power?? There is no other variable...

Out of this exercise, it became clear to me that the use of GFCI breaker and plugs showed improvement in the quality of the power, as the measurements out of regular (non-GFCI) outlets/breakers were significantly high. The media room has pretty good quality power coming in. I am going live with what I saw. I am going to read up more on GFCI outlets/breakers and their impact on the quality of the power. But overall, happy with what I saw.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    The GFCI may have better conductivity ...ie metals/copper used in the receptacle...GFCI brand?

Wonder if the hospital grade or better quality receptacles would have same or as close to results

TFS the info
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    Options
    Thanks for your analysis and comments @jumpindick. On the way to you Jeff @indyhawg !

xmenv7lxzdtl.png

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Thanks to Dave for making this demo happen. I took readings over several days and listed are the averages for each area. I took averages for outlets in my theater room and my 2 channel room.

For the theater room, the main I outlet I use registered 43.9mV. I plug a Furman PFI 15 Elite power conditioner into this outlet. The Furman has 3 banks with 4 outlets each. The amp bank registered between 8.5 and 9.3 at various times. The other two banks registered between 51.7 and 52.1.

In the 2 channel room, the main outlet registered 33.5mV. I use a Pangea 5100 power conditioner. The readings were on average for the
    high current bank was 32.7. The other 2 banks averaged 33.8 and 34.1, respectively.
    Other outlets which I checked was the outlet behind my theater chairs, it registered at 59.3mV and 62.4 with a generic surge protector. Other outlets (which were not being used for anything) in my basement averaged 42.4, 42.6, 40.2, 38.4, and 39.7.

This was an interesting demo. I found that for the most part, the reading were consistent regardless of the time of day for me. I thought there might be a big discrepancy but there was not.
  • verb
    Options
    Thanks for your insights Jeff! This demo is now officially closed! Thank you all for sharing your measurements and comments!

s9cbbjhbkt8x.png

The little meter is finally coming back to Verb's house! :)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Thanks again for putting this together.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.