The Garden/Landscape Thread

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Lumber drops this week.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2020
    Beautiful Mark! Great colors and textures. The cactus flowers are striking! Looks like life is good in Colorado compared to PA?
    Carl

• mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Beautiful Mark! Great colors and textures. The cactus flowers are striking! Looks like life is good in Colorado compared to PA?

Life is very good in Colorado! And the sun shines every day! And this "every day is a Saturday" retirement vibe is SO nice. It could become habit forming! :)

Hope you and yours are doing well and staying healthy.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    mark090852 wrote: »
    Some flowers around our house. They seem to be doing well this year.

7vvklesi8hz7.jpg
    a9gut4kr9tip.jpgvdcakph9flla.jpg
    qul57fwnf4qt.jpg
    228mrm0ponpx.jpghdu2jvtgrtja.jpg
    p77vjzce9vx5.jpgtyepvseewfqu.jpg
    0puh3h2b12wi.jpg

where the grass at? ;)
  • mark090852

No grass at our place. It's considered "high desert xeriscaping". Water needs to be conserved so most plants have low water requirements and there is very little grass in our neighborhood. I sold my lawnmower back in PA before we made this move last summer and I don't miss it at all. :)

fmmo1dwgj1iq.jpg
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Meanwhile, my yard has 7 irrigation zones that run twice a day, every day.
    I will restore balance to the environment for you.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mark090852
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Meanwhile, my yard has 7 irrigation zones that run twice a day, every day.
    I will restore balance to the environment for you.

Thanks! I knew I could count on somebody to step forward when needed! lol

Actually, we do have drip irrigation to all the plants and shrubs. It runs 5 minutes twice a day, so we do use some water. But we have practically no rain, especially during the spring and summer, so those that do have a little grass have to use a lot of water to keep it healthy.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862

No grass at our place. It's considered "high desert xeriscaping". Water needs to be conserved so most plants have low water requirements and there is very little grass in our neighborhood. I sold my lawnmower back in PA before we made this move last summer and I don't miss it at all. :)

fmmo1dwgj1iq.jpg

I figured as much by the type of greens you have and all the stones and rocks. I was only bugging you. I live on a corner so I have lots of grass to water but we are not as dry as you or we'd have the same type of landscaping.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314

fmmo1dwgj1iq.jpg

Beautiful Home and setting!

• mark090852

fmmo1dwgj1iq.jpg

Beautiful Home and setting!

Thank you Mike!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I'm surprised you didn't say something like Russ Pi$$ed on it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    joecoulson wrote: »
    qfhii8bja81j.jpeg

That's a whole lotta work. Looking forward to your progress.

• mrbiron
    joecoulson wrote: »
    qfhii8bja81j.jpeg

Tomorrow is Sunday! Where is everyone going to sit!?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited May 2020
    or3p34wsw22p.jpg
    l8modpsa2rcj.jpg
    lnznyhbb4xh8.jpg

Had to have a big azz ash tree taken down as it fell prey to the emerald ash bore bug. I remember a couple of years ago after a few beers with Lightman (aka) Russ he had parked his work truck here and I tried to convince him he needs to get in his boom go up there and trim the branches that were starting to die. He talked me out of it and said something like that thing is to big. I didnt know at that time those little Meffer ash Bore beattles start at the top and work their way down. To make a long story short it died slow death had to have it taken down.
    Post edited by gudnoyez on
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez
    edited May 2020
    tvicmw59jpc1.jpg
    z5fvfv41gnx6.jpg
    vn2f5l04rlhx.jpg

The thing was massive and the shade will be missed sad day those effing ash bore Beatles have eaten just about every ash tree in the area and most of the U.S. the west side of the house will now be shadeless and I'm not looking forward to the 90 degree hot humid days that will be here shortly.
    Post edited by gudnoyez on
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    WOW!! A lot of you have some really nice places, and the landscaping is top shelf.. Thanks for sharing..
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Sorry for your loss. Well, ash makes for some pretty good firewood. Did you have them leave the big pieces to cut up and split?
  • mrbiron
    I was confused by the orientation as the original is clearly in portrait, on my phone, but decided to situate itself in a manner that is less friendly to others than myself... :D

Oh well. Life’s about gives and takes. Unfortunately, to me, I’m more in the takes category.
  • mrbiron
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So I never proclaimed to be a paver installer, but my wife is happy, so that is all that matters. I installed some cold patch between the pavers and Driveway this morning to make a seamless transition.

The plan is to start digging for the planter bed in the next couple of days.

I wish I bought this house with a landscaping package...

4ubn6eef0wm9.jpeg

Pavers/sidewalk look(s) great to me; your photographic orientation skills, on the other hand...

B)

We've been having "Chamber of Commerce" weather up here -- hope you've been having it, too!

49913562401_dc5f572a58_b.jpgDSC_0087 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

To answer your statement, we had “chamber of commerce” weather here as well. we had family members, who we haven’t seen in 4+ months, and social distancing disasters galore To help enjoy said weather. ‘‘Twas almost a good ol’ fashion Hootenanny sans the folk music and dancing...which actually makes it not a hootenanny but merely a gathering.
  • gudnoyez
    cm16vi2k2nzx.jpg

Well should of figured that a tree that big would have one heck of root system. I had the guy grind the stump 12 inches down. I figured going 3 feet away from where the stump was would be good a few holes later chasing roots with pick and Reciprocating saw. I ended up 5 foot in front of the stump only thing it's about 12 feet away from the new deck which should give some good shade but would of preferred a few feet farther away. But that's what I will have to deal with. I can trim it in a few years if it gives us to much shade.
    j0utgjkodj4f.jpg

Now the other one went as planed I planted that one in the spot where my other huge Ash tree was that one didnt succumb to the Ash Bore that one fell to a big thunderstorm so it came down 5 years ago. That was enough time for the root system to decompose. The wife likes the spot where the one by the deck is so if need be I can prune it if needed. I need to put down some mulch and put a raised flower bed in the bare spot.

Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So I never proclaimed to be a paver installer, but my wife is happy, so that is all that matters. I installed some cold patch between the pavers and Driveway this morning to make a seamless transition.

The plan is to start digging for the planter bed in the next couple of days.

I wish I bought this house with a landscaping package...

4ubn6eef0wm9.jpeg

Pavers/sidewalk look(s) great to me; your photographic orientation skills, on the other hand...

B)

We've been having "Chamber of Commerce" weather up here -- hope you've been having it, too!

49913562401_dc5f572a58_b.jpgDSC_0087 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

To answer your statement, we had “chamber of commerce” weather here as well. we had family members, who we haven’t seen in 4+ months, and social distancing disasters galore To help enjoy said weather. ‘‘Twas almost a good ol’ fashion Hootenanny sans the folk music and dancing...which actually makes it not a hootenanny but merely a gathering.

We had folks over for a 'cookout' (that's what we called 'em when & where I grew up) today. I don't think we violated any current regulations ;)
  • gudnoyez
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss. Well, ash makes for some pretty good firewood. Did you have them leave the big pieces to cut up and split?

n3n748b6te34.jpg

Yep thought Bout puting the ol Yota into 4WD and climb over that big ol pile. I will burn it in the back yard in the fire pit. I dont want to get caught taking it camping with the wood being infected with those critters however the wood looks healthy to me.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited May 2020
    @mrbiron the path looks great man! Well done.

Here is day what ever it is now. Bad setback, outer band is rotten. My only saving grace is the floor system had a 6” space between the inner band (joists sit on) and the outer one. The original deck had no flashing. 30 years of water penetration.

So they have to rebuild the outer band and support the exterior wall before proceeding. That will be done tomorrow I believe.

We got the footings and the drainage system done yesterday and today.

psqjfox8w7bz.jpeg