Stacking Subs

Options
afterburnt
afterburnt Posts: 7,892
edited May 2020 in Speakers
I see no way around it, I don't have enough space. I have 2 each SVS PB 2OOO and Rythmik F12. It looks like I have to stack them all side by side in the same front corner I guess with the Rythmiks on top. The only other option still stacked is putting one pair still stacked in front of a floor register aimed at my left ear. Is there a problem structurally with stacking them? And soundwise does it defeat the purpose of having two?

Comments

• afterburnt
    Options
    I have to figure this out because once it's done they will never move again. It hurts too much.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Uhhh........well.......nevermind..... :#
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Uhhh........well.......nevermind..... :#

:#
  • afterburnt
    Options
    FWIW I have two systems in the same room one 2 channel and one HT. Why? Because I can! I think.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    This is gonna be bittchin, you should come over and check it out cept I don't let anyone in my house.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I need a bigger house
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the advantage to having two subwoofers is better dispersion characteristics in the room? If they're in the same place then that ain't gonna change much, AFAIK. Worth a shot to try at least, methinks.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the advantage to having two subwoofers is better dispersion characteristics in the room? If they're in the same place then that ain't gonna change much, AFAIK. Worth a shot to try at least, methinks.

I agree in theory, I am going to figure out how to split them up and so what if I lose the skin off of the left side of my face it's not my good side anyway. Sitting within a few feet of some fairly powerful subs is probably not a great idea but I don't plan on fathering any more children.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    I think I've seen it done, but not sure whether there should be some kind of isolation between them.

The sub feet I've seen are squishy vs pointy spikes, so I'm thinking some Sorbothane hemispheres may do the trick if you don't already have feet on your subs. You'd want to monitor the subs to make sure the upper ones aren't walking off the lowers.

And some testing stacked vs unstacked to see whether there's any noticeable difference to you.

No sense of convention on whether they should be placed in stereo fashion vs stacks of like-subs. I would imagine factors for consideration would be room layout, equipment placement, and system type, HT vs 2ch.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Scott, stereo looks good but not necessarily optimal but splitting them up aimed at 90 degrees should be better but dialing in the delay will be they key. I figure I can make a deflector to keep the HVAC from blowing on them at least they will be near the door if I have to 86 them. I wish I just had a bunch of "mini vee's" and I wish I knew then what I know now.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,058
    Options
    Possible to post some pics of your room? I could look it over and see if there is a few optional places where 1 or more subs would perform the best.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Dan, I will try that but I am afraid you will think that I am crazy LMAO!
  • msg
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Scott, stereo looks good but not necessarily optimal but splitting them up aimed at 90 degrees should be better but dialing in the delay will be they key. I figure I can make a deflector to keep the HVAC from blowing on them at least they will be near the door if I have to 86 them. I wish I just had a bunch of "mini vee's" and I wish I knew then what I know now.

Re: the delay, do you mean from daisy-chaining? Do your sources support dual subs? I think I've read of people using RCA splitter cables to use stereo subs, but no experience with this.

How's the audio market look in your new place? Maybe you could sell off the bigger subs and pick up some smaller ones. I'd hold onto the bigger ones for a bit though if you plan to test smaller subs. You don't want that kind of seller's remorse.

But yeah, good question from Dan above, maybe some sense of floor/room layout, dimensions, seating area, etc. Just sketch it out with red or blue crayon on the wall and shoot us a photo.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Guitar neck on left is the cornern the rack will be in the same quadrant 8ij47s8tt5q0.jpg
    This the left side by the register I think it shows the guitar neck for a point of reference.
    6ofd745xjzs1.jpg
    Another shot of the side that's not an option.
  • afterburnt
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Well that sortta worked can't see what the phone is gonna show
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Note the tastefully place black light tubes lol
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Man I screwed that up. Second shot is the place at the end of the sofa by the HVAC register.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I've been thinking the same thing. Just because of room layout I can't go bigger but I can go up...

Also I've found other threads here about it.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173320/stacking-subwoofers

Nice setup someone posted in that thread
    ft4n7venxh1d.jpeg
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @mpitogo I have two options if I need to get in my room. I am going with stacking the Rythmiks on the SVS
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Are the subs spiked and are they downward firing or forward?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Aren't you moving shortly?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    Options
    Are the subs spiked and are they downward firing or forward?

Rubber feet and using those little blue sammiches.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Aren't you moving shortly?

Jesse, this is the relocation. Sure is easier to build into a room than make the stuff fit when moving.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    What, you can't belive I already wrecked my new house?
  • msg
    Options
    Yeah, that's a tough space, Bruce.

Would you be able to
    1. Move the couch/loveseat to the position from which you're shooting the photo, parallel to your tv?
    2. Nail that closet door shut on the right after filling it with old fur coats?
    3. Throw away that one guitar?

That would give you room to spread out the speakers, and maybe experiment with the subs either inside or outside of the speakers.

I have difficult spaces, too. I had a similar setup in my main space at one point in front of my window, but missed the use of the window, so I rotated the system 90° CCW. I've lost the benefit of the side walls in this space, but it's more functional for the living space this way. The big sub helps fill in the bottom end, but it's not a setup that speakers can perform without a sub now. The system performed better overall when I had it set up more like the way yours is. I had almost that same setup going with a loveseat in the same area and the sub in that same corner. Had a little more width, but still not ideal.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I can’t see mixing subs in any room for 2-chnl without a lot of work
    Test what’s best, sell and store the other pair
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    Options
    Oh, I thought the idea was that they'd be used in two different systems in the same space. Not sure now where I got that idea.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    Never heard of stacking but we enjoy a pair of PC 2000's in our living room and they sure are a treat. Our living room isn't huge but it's certainly not small. Stacking the PB's ??? Fired up should boom that spot. As for EQ ..its your ears that need to be happy. I'm not coming over😷
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mantis
    Options
    Dan, I will try that but I am afraid you will think that I am crazy LMAO!
    Aren't we all?
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    Guitar neck on left is the cornern the rack will be in the same quadrant 8ij47s8tt5q0.jpg
    This the left side by the register I think it shows the guitar neck for a point of reference.
    6ofd745xjzs1.jpg
    Another shot of the side that's not an option.
    I like the left front corner for one sub but how about a pic of the opposite wall? Not the one your couch is on but basically the right side back corner. That would be ideal in that room.

Dan