Fond memories in pictures...

124»

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited March 2020
    Knowing from a close connected experience... :'(

An adult should be there beside the ice-cream truck to watch out for idiots who don't know what an ice-cream truck is and who are driving down the road not paying enough attention.

That was about 47 years ago. Not me. My boss lost his little angel one day like that. He was never the same... :'( The business shut down soon after that happened. He stopped working. I don't know what became of him.

Now people have phones they're looking at sometimes while they might be passing an ice-cream truck.

I'd stand in the road now for sure as a guard to keep the little ones safe and SMILING for many more years to come.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    charley96 wrote: »
    Anyone who grew up in the Midwest should remember this place
    k7r79pda3y1d.png

Home of the Original Loose Meat Sandwich

n2naepfxpxte.png

I have one a couple of miles from me and still going strong in central Illinois.

Fortunately there are still some of these around and doing well. The Made-Rite was born in Muscatine, Iowa in the 20's.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    p5dbaptjt6ku.jpeg
    The years working for Tweeter, I miss those days.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    My ESL-57s once belonged to a Tweeter VP. :)
    Tweeter (Etc.) was a big deal here in the Northeast once upon a time.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    2 liter bottle? What the heck is that?

Mom would send my brother and I for a run to the grocery store, and having to balance these wobbly 8-packs on the handlebars of my bike. Occasionally, a bottle or two didn't make it home! :smile:
    bgnx0hb7h9jd.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    kruha6r15ejr.jpg
    I think ours was red. Oh the memories of choking on Liver and Onions, well-done steak, and Fish on Fridays. I don't think my mom ever cooked anything that I liked. If it weren't for paint chips I probably would have starved to death.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Was long gone by around 1963~64. Large pizzas were $1.75-$2.00 in late 1950's. Funny names for their sandwiches.

yydqiidxc561.jpg
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Here's some iconic "hamburger architecture". :p

gpjmi3f86zsg.jpg

And a slightly updated version.

w2lmg4rlshkg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzwUaIqkIT8

I forgot to mention that our local Carroll's (Burlington, Vermont) was built on the site of the original Elizabeth Lund Home for Unwed Mothers, birthplace of infamous serial killer Ted Bundy. :o

kkclb1ucem6n.png
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2020
    I forgot to mention that our local Carroll's (Burlington, Vermont) was built on the site of the original Elizabeth Lund Home for Unwed Mothers, birthplace of infamous serial killer Ted Bundy. :o

kkclb1ucem6n.png

Interesting. Thanks. I think society is improving in regard to unwed mothers. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I went to a place similar while in Colorado a few years back. Open air shack, great big pit and served a few things that were super delicious. I ate there 3 times during my 6 days in CO.
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 304
    Pit, ya ever eat Big John's Bbq over in Peoria back in the day? It was outstanding in the 70's & 80's. It's opened and closed countless times through the years since John died. It was never the same after he left.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    charley96 wrote: »
    Pit, ya ever eat Big John's Bbq over in Peoria back in the day? It was outstanding in the 70's & 80's. It's opened and closed countless times through the years since John died. It was never the same after he left.

No unfortunately I missed that.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Here's some iconic "hamburger architecture". :p

gpjmi3f86zsg.jpg

And a slightly updated version.

w2lmg4rlshkg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzwUaIqkIT8

I could go for a couple Club burgers!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    I could go for a couple Club burgers!

"Carroll's Club Burger®, it's love at first bite."

I remember seeing that commercial about 5 times a day between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. after school circa 1975, which is about the time our local Carroll's (Burlington, Vermont) closed for good. I never got a chance to try one. :o
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    My aunt always made "Russian Tea" with Tang at Christmas. I can't remember what the extra ingredients were, but it remained a dry mix. Maybe Tang and instant tea?
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    My aunt always made "Russian Tea" with Tang at Christmas. I can't remember what the extra ingredients were, but it remained a dry mix. Maybe Tang and instant tea?

om-nom-nom. ;)
    There really are "Russian style" flavored teas, as opposed to "Russian Caravan" style teas -- with citrus (usually bergamot, like Earl Grey, and/or grapefruit -- based on my limited understanding of same (gleaned mostly from https://www.uptontea.com and https://www.harney.com/
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2020
    Late to the party but....

My Mom worked at Fat Boy back in the 60's........Back then, legend has it, the kids from Morse High in Bath hung out at Fat Boy and the kids from Brunswick hung out at Ernie's Drive In.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut