New speakers today!!!!

Options
Very productive day so far.... My cleaning crew was here promptly at 07:45 AM I dropped the dog off at 08:00 for some play, to get a bath and get his nails trimmed and o yeah yet another innoculation....the cleaning folks finished by 09:15 AM and at 09:30 the Pilot Freight truck pulled up with a pallet of speakers and their bases.

My new Usher Mini Dancer 2 Mini's have arrived..

I moved the old Polk 705's out of the way and went to work un-boxing and setting up the Ushers (there is nothing "mini" about them). They are a bit larger in every dimension than the Polks ... They are about 4' tall and weigh about 115lbs each... The base on the Mini's is now a heavy composite MDF where the Mini-X stands had cast iron stands.

Appearance wise the Ushers are stunning...the wood and the piano black finishes are sweet.

I am told they take about 180 hours to break in and I am just barely into that process....

For setup:

Lumin Mini
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Preamp
Parasound A21 Amp
MIT Shotgun S3 hoses.

Somethings of note:

The Diamond (DMD) tweeters IMHO are about the sweetest you will find in this or even higher priced speakers... Cymbals and violins sound so natural....

The signature of Usher is the incredible sound stage they present the listener. Don't crucify me but the Usher sound stage is far less finicky than the experience I have had with SDA technology when it comes to placement and acoustics.

The front ported cabinet design had me thinking the subs were turned on, bet they are not... I won't need them for 2 channel listening. And it is tight and punchy bass without the bloated flatulent bass that other ported speakers can excrete.

The look may be somewhat dated but they are very elegant and the craftsmanship is amazing. From the bottom when installing the bases you can see that real wood is used in layers and bent to make the curve of the cabinet. Not just a veneer over MDF... Nothing wrong with MDF but these a sight to behold compared to most in this price range and even above... They look like a poor man's Sonus Faber cabinet...

Didn't they used to say in the old LIFE cereal commercial "Mikey Approved"

xgpld2fd435s.jpg

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |

Comments

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Very nice. Enjoy!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Very nice!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Looking good Mikey, dibs on the old set ?? Karma ? In with 69....just in case. :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,174
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Congrats! Although I have not heard a pair in person, I have only heard rave reviews about them (and the Diamond tweeters) and am definitely intrigued with those speakers myself. I look forward to some more impressions on how they sound once you get more hours on them, especially how they sound compared to Polk SDA speakers (I have Polk SDA 2B TLs).

Congrats and enjoy!
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    I’m definitely looking forward to a review from you. There was a pair of these listed for sale about an hour from me that I almost jumped on. Although the price was very good, there was a bunch of cabinet damage on that pair so I was worried of the structural integrity so I had to pass.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I saw a pair in DC area a week or so ago that were in fine shape for about $3400 shipped... I considered them but ordered the new ones.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    they started out with mdf bases then when they did some upgrading of the cabinets they went to the cast iron bases, now back to mdf. I'm thinking the base material has something to do with the sound.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Congrats brother. Owning the 6381s and knowing how they sound assures me your dancers (on or off the pole) would destroy what I hear. Enjoy those babies. Wow!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    AWESOME BRO - CONGRATS!!
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Marvin @marvda1 can you explain why they call them "Mini" ? Cuz they ain't.

• Mikey081057
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Looking good Mikey, dibs on the old set ?? Karma ? In with 69....just in case. :D

@TonyB when you come to FL bring a van...I have a nice pair of 2.3's for you... :) Your wife will love listening to Lady Gaga on those bad boyz...

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Definitely elegant. Congratulations!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • marvda1
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Marvin @marvda1 can you explain why they call them "Mini" ? Cuz they ain't.

compared to the other speakers in the dancer line they are mini. like these:
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa1589-usher-audio-cp-8571-ii-dancer-with-diamond-tweeters-full-range
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    Very nice speakers Mikey. Looking forward to the review.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    They should just call them BMF's

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Very nice score! Congrats Mikey 😎
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Shout out to an old friend Derek of Audiothesis.com

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Real nice Mikey they are beauty's enjoy.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Very productive day so far.... My cleaning crew was here promptly at 07:45 AM I dropped the dog off at 08:00 for some play, to get a bath and get his nails trimmed and o yeah yet another innoculation....the cleaning folks finished by 09:15 AM and at 09:30 the Pilot Freight truck pulled up with a pallet of speakers and their bases.

My new Usher Mini Dancer 2 Mini's have arrived..

I moved the old Polk 705's out of the way and went to work un-boxing and setting up the Ushers (there is nothing "mini" about them). They are a bit larger in every dimension than the Polks ... They are about 4' tall and weigh about 115lbs each... The base on the Mini's is now a heavy composite MDF where the Mini-X stands had cast iron stands.

Appearance wise the Ushers are stunning...the wood and the piano black finishes are sweet.

I am told they take about 180 hours to break in and I am just barely into that process....

For setup:

Lumin Mini
    Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Preamp
    Parasound A21 Amp
    MIT Shotgun S3 hoses.

Somethings of note:

The Diamond (DMD) tweeters IMHO are about the sweetest you will find in this or even higher priced speakers... Cymbals and violins sound so natural....

The signature of Usher is the incredible sound stage they present the listener. Don't crucify me but the Usher sound stage is far less finicky than the experience I have had with SDA technology when it comes to placement and acoustics.

The front ported cabinet design had me thinking the subs were turned on, bet they are not... I won't need them for 2 channel listening. And it is tight and punchy bass without the bloated flatulent bass that other ported speakers can excrete.

The look may be somewhat dated but they are very elegant and the craftsmanship is amazing. From the bottom when installing the bases you can see that real wood is used in layers and bent to make the curve of the cabinet. Not just a veneer over MDF... Nothing wrong with MDF but these a sight to behold compared to most in this price range and even above... They look like a poor man's Sonus Faber cabinet...

Didn't they used to say in the old LIFE cereal commercial "Mikey Approved"

xgpld2fd435s.jpg

Dang man, I am a little more than just slightly aroused :# Very, Very nice, and an Usher Center ta boot B)

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Nice mikey, I do miss my MD2’s
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Options
    Way to go, Mike! I’ve enjoyed mine the last few years, Ron @txcoastal1 started the burn in on them before they moved into my home. Interesting that Marvin said the different bases may affect the sound. Mine have the cast iron bases. Would be interesting to do a side by side to see if there is a difference. But man, you’re right, these things are beasts to move around. I did add a Rythmik sub to the mix after about a year and I love it. Blends well and gave me just a little more low end that I felt I was missing.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I stopped reading when you said you dumped the dog off. No listening session is complete without a jerk dog bothering you the whole time to “play”...
    cmf40qahik72.jpeg

• Mikey081057
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I stopped reading when you said you dumped the dog off. No listening session is complete without a jerk dog bothering you the whole time to “play”...
    cmf40qahik72.jpeg

he was due for a vacine anyway ... he helps me do everything every day... he loves to go play with the other doggies... I saw him playing with 2 way bigger dogs then later I saw the 2 big dogs were asleep and Tommy was chasin some tail.... He's sleeping now tho... This pup would rip the energizer bunny apart... :)

• Mikey081057
    Options
    Derf wrote: »
    Way to go, Mike! I’ve enjoyed mine the last few years, Ron @txcoastal1 started the burn in on them before they moved into my home. Interesting that Marvin said the different bases may affect the sound. Mine have the cast iron bases. Would be interesting to do a side by side to see if there is a difference. But man, you’re right, these things are beasts to move around. I did add a Rythmik sub to the mix after about a year and I love it. Blends well and gave me just a little more low end that I felt I was missing.

The Usher sound is hard to find fault with... I am sure that is subjective and maybe they're not everybody's cup of tea but they alot of speaker for the money as you can well appreciate.

• marvda1
    Options
    http://prairieaudiomancave.com/reviews--reports/can-the-mini-dancer-2-hold-me-closer-to-the-music

I have a mastersound integrated that would go nice with the ushers. B)
    Puritan PSM156
  • Mike Reeter
    Options

Derf wrote: »

The Usher sound is hard to find fault with... I am sure that is subjective and maybe they're not everybody's cup of tea but they alot of speaker for the money as you can well appreciate.

When I move into a smaller room, the Mini-X will be on my list. I love the looks of them especially mounted on the Usher Stands.

8a3cdg19h57x.png

• Mikey081057
    edited March 2020
    Options
    They are sweet but take up about the same space and cost about the same with the stands...

Only a couple of hundred difference.... the Mini 1's might even save you some money and are virtually the same as the Mini-X's

• Mike Reeter
    Options
    They are sweet but take up about the same space and cost about the same with the stands...

Only a couple of hundred difference.... the Mini 1's might even save you some money and are virtually the same as the Mini-X's

But those stands are as cool as I've ever seen :p

I'm sure the Mini 1's would work out very nice also. They can be had on the used market for a decent price as well.

One day...

• Mikey081057
    Options
    yes the mini x's and stands are beautiful and they sound great as well.... magnificent sound stage where the speakers disappear. the x's are easier to drive than the MD-2's as they are 8ohm and 4ohm respectively. The mini x stand are very heavy and dense ... I never get the feeling with either that they are tippy which I always had with the 705's. Both of them also have a great spike system. You won't be disappointed with any of the 3.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    A very nice set of speakers mikey 👍