Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Eh, the propaganda channels over there have been spewing that for 2 days.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Go back to pages 1-8 on this thread for a little bit of real history on that "claim". FWIW

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Eh, the propaganda channels over there have been spewing that for 2 days.

Tom

How do you feed that crap to two billion people? Such a claim would force a government into a military response in most cases.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Look at the cr@p our media is feeding us. Luckily not all of us believe it... Hopefully China has a core group of citizens (subjects) that can think independently.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Kex wrote: »
    Factually inaccurate, Beatrice, according to every single credible scientific body on the planet... including the CDC as quoted above.

I'll give it to you Sally, no one is as wrong as you are time after time after time....
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    edited March 2020
    tonyb wrote: »
    9u74eksj21ge.jpg

Except, unless people actually do somehow MANAGE to p*o*o*p more, it is only pulling future demand forward.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    halen wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Bud, you guys have had power outages way before this virus.

You act like the world as we know it is coming to an end. Chill bro, smoke some weed. , turn on the tunes, everything is going to be ok.

As long as this virus continues to expand, the world, for most of us, is coming to an end. Civilization is very fragile, and it won’t take much to collapse it. Even though I am 70, I am not in any rush to die. Ignoring what is occurring in the world is not conducive to survival. ‘Better safe than sorry’ is applicable here.

Bud. Your worries do not lack merit. Are your worries based on your own thoughts or from another source? Something that feeds and flames and worries.
    Take care my friend.

Halen in Bud’s defense and concerns he was in the hospital at the end of last year. He also falls into the lethal statistic due to his age

He's not the only one too. Many of us here fall into the category of being the worst for this virus.

I'm not saying ignore it, obviously you have to take precautions and wait it out some. Turning yourself into a prepper though is a bit extreme.

Commerce is still going to happen, store shelves will get replenished, trucking will still bring goods to stores. The only thing greater than fear of a virus, is fear of losing money. Corporations are not going to just throw in the towel and cease to exist. Markets will go back up and life will go on.

After this virus goes away, and we stock up on test kits, next year it will be something else and all these test kits will be useless. You can't prepare as well as we'd like anyway, against something that you don't know what it is until it hits you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2020
    The Lancet Journal Wednesday released results of a study made in China. It found that survivors still carry the active virus on an average of 20 days. The least amount of time the virus was found active was 8 days post survival and the most was up to 37 days!.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Gardenstater
    F1nut wrote: »
    There are many corona virus' in the world, so calling this one the corona virus is wrong and misleading. It was from the beginning and should still be referred to as the Wuhan virus as it is the tradition to name a virus due to its point of origin.

Yeah and there is even plenty of evidence that this one was genetically engineered, but I doubt the mainstream media is talking about that, or at least not the liberal *news* outlets.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Actually corona virus in canine's is very common and most dogs are vaccinated for it with the parvo virus at the same time as puppies.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Making political hay out of any crisis is pretty much the standard in American politics. In an election year, it's a gimme. The sun coming up could be a political thing.

Anyway, most just sift through that manure to deal with the real issues at hand. Take precautions, but don't be stupid either. Don't be hanging out , if your older, in bars with loud music. The person talking to you usually has to get close to your face to talk, and spit on ya. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    edited March 2020
    There are many corona virus' in the world, so calling this one the corona virus is wrong and misleading. It was from the beginning and should still be referred to as the Wuhan virus as it is the tradition to name a virus due to its point of origin.

Yeah and there is even plenty of evidence that this one was genetically engineered, but I doubt the mainstream media is talking about that, or at least not the liberal *news* outlets.

Other than conspiracy theories what do you have to back up your comment? Seems this would be really easy to prove.

Yet not once has any credible voice come forward and stated this is an engineered virus or even suggested such.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited March 2020
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2020

Other than conspiracy theories what do you have to back up your comment? Seems this would be really easy to prove.

Yet not once has any credible voice come forward and stated this is an engineered virus or even suggested such.

I've been reading lots of stuff. I'll have to try to find what I read, but it was comments by a medical researcher IIRC. I remember the info. referred to it as a *chimera*, as in having genetics from multiple viruses.

But dude, easy to prove? I think not.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited March 2020

It's not engineered. It matches SARS and MERS as much as 97%. Both of those were species jumping mutations of a naturally occurring pathogen. It's less communicable than SARS or MERS and it's transmission vectors are sporadic and unreliable. Just because you were "exposed" doesn't mean you will get it. It just means someone "within range" of you has it and was near you while they were infectious.

As a weapon, this is pretty poor.

However, there is speculation based on mounting evidence that China knew about this and was having a problem prior to November. At the transmission and infection rate currently being seen, the numbers in China are far too high, even if current numbers are purposefully under-reported, for only 2-3 months of an epidemic with these rates. Health organizations are now saying that China had the outbreak start as far back as September and it reached Wuhan some time in October and exploded due to population density.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • motorhead43026

I've been reading lots of stuff. I'll have to try to find what I read, but it was comments by a medical researcher IIRC. I remember the info. referred to it as a *chimera*, as in having genetics from multiple viruses.

But dude, easy to prove? I think not.

I think I read the same thing. I believe the researchers name was Alex Jones.

• Gardenstater
    LOL no I haven't read anything from Alex Jones, but I know he would definitely be onboard with it, without any evidence needed.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Go back to page 4. Chinese vaccine research could have carried it into public. IIRC Canada also stated two Chinese nationals had went back to China with samples from their lab they were working on for sars/mers vaccine. Those Chinese nationals flew to Wuhan region. Not too long after the virus supposedly had shown up at the outdoor food market.

China is not going to admit their spy's stole it from Canada.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    It should be, but unfortunately it's laughable to some...
  • treitz3
    Nobody sees China making 97% of our medicine problematic ? That should be more of a concern than this virus. If that's true...

"Somebody" saw an issue with that and made an executive order to alleviate it yesterday, Tony.

Tom
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    That article says that China makes 97% of our antibiotics, not 97% of our medicine.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That is true, but read further in and you will see that the basic ingredients for most all of our medicine is made there with "finishing" done here.
    So if you get "assembled in USA" from Chinese components, then all is ok right?

Glad to see you actually posting on topic Jim. Kudos
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I can see the possibility that the virus was taken from Canada, nefariously or knowingly, and was accidentally released into the wild. But that doesn't necessarily mean there was ill intent there. China covering it up, yeah, not necessarily ill intent just shirking responsibility.

But China looking to make a universal SARS vaccine would give them a global cash cow. SARS isn't a single virus. It's a class of viruses that cause Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. The original SARS virus from 2002 is one as well as MERS and COVID-19. They all have similar genetic structure and action mechanisms so if someone finds a way to make the virus inert/ineffective for how they all act, they are going to make a fortune on that vaccine.

I think that testing numbers at this point are a waste of time. I think it's been out there for a long time and many people, including those in the "death zone" have already had it. So to piss and moan about how we aren't testing anyone and our government isn't handling this right is just impotent rage and pearl clutching. Every government got thrust into this by China's hubris and subsequent actions, or lack thereof, to contain this.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Hey....the virus is not Bear Grylls from Canada.... unless it originated from Maple syrup.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    So, today our CEO sent a e-mail out to every employee that beginning Monday, all employees are asked to work from home. Not a huge impact for me, as I can do a lot of my work remotely anyways.

Except when working with Studio, as there are physical mock-ups there.

Again, not panicked, but remaining calm and vigilant. And, in my pajamas! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Wait you mean you lounge pants... Rumours have it that you sleep in a teddy....
This discussion has been closed.