Sonic Barrier Damping Sheets/Rolls

Options
It had been awhile since I last ordered Dynamat, and apparently now, Sonic Barrier butyl damping sheets with foil backing are the way to go. Parts Express doesn't even carry Dynamat products at this point.

Today I received my order for a roll of the Sonic Barrier damping sheet material, and it looks good. I cut a test strip and stuck it to a woofer basket frame...works a treat!
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    I don't recall PE ever carrying Dynamat. You can get a from a zillion places including Amazon, Crutchfield and even directly from Dynamat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I don't recall PE ever carrying Dynamat. You can get a from a zillion places including Amazon, Crutchfield and even directly from Dynamat.
    You may be right about Parts Express never carrying Dynamat, but it seems options for Dynamat in general have shrunk a bit...at least for the butyl foil-backed sheets/rolls. And when you find it, it's expensive compared to other options. Maybe a patent ran-out for Dynamat?

Parts Express has a 25sq/ft roll of Sonic Barrier for $60.
    I found 36sq/ft options for Dynamat on Amazon, and at Crutchfield, for $160.

I'll let you do the math.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    I've used Nioco 80 mil in cars with very good results. The Dynamat Extreme is probably a little better but us much more expensive. The Noico also works great on speaker baskets.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Yep ebay has been my go to for dynamat
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    I used this last time. It's a little thicker and much more tacky. This is way more than you need, but it is an alternative that does the same thing. I was able to buy a few sheets from my local car audio installation shop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Second-Skin-Damplifier-10-sqft-Butyl-Sound-Deadening-Material-1mm-40mil/254267334843?epid=3014404355&hash=item3b3383a0bb:g:bwsAAOSwPqZeVWNO
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    I'm probably set for life now with my 25 sqft roll :D Shoulda thought that one over a little more first.