Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    W.H.O has declared covid-9 a pandemic.

This should be good for another 20% leg down of the market.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    Kex wrote: »
    Italy has the 8th highest GDP in the world. Nominal GDP exceeds that of either Texas or New York. Only California is wealthier, as a state, than Italy.

That means garbage. The quality of life in general, especially Healthcare, is much greater in Texas and NY. Seeing is believing, go there some time and if you consider Italy the 8th richest country on the planet, then the rest of the planet in comparison to us, is a sh-it hole. Sure it has it's rich parts and touristy parts, but like an island in the Caribbean, the outside is nice, but the interior is crap, and the people live in the crap, not the nice parts.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I saved 5$ at the pump yesterday while filling up on premium.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Can the virus be cured by throwing money at it?

Maybe. Science will cure/prevent/stop it, and science takes money.
    Funny how science takes money but when a drug company charges money for that little pill and make a profit that actually funds more science, certain people loose their minds.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    ^^ Ok, explain why it seems it is only the US that seems to carry the price of said development?

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...The quality of life in general, especially Healthcare, is much greater in Texas and NY. Seeing is believing, go there some time...
    I have been several times, driven across it by car several times too, and in terms of quality of life, I would take Italy ahead of Texas or upstate New York without hesitating for a second (Manhattan would be a tougher comparison).

Such things are a matter of taste, perhaps. I don’t measure quality of life by the size or number of my TV’s, or the size of my truck.

Anyway, this is veering off topic, so we can just agree to disagree on Italy.
    Alea jacta est!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307

Funny how science takes money but when a drug company charges money for that little pill and make a profit that actually funds more science, certain people loose their minds.

100% correct.

Further, if we ever go to “Medicare for all” (socialized medicine), most of the medical innovations in this country will cease. THAT will be a massive tragedy.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    la2vegas wrote: »
    If Italy is going to hell, then when is the Olive Garden going to lower their prices? :D

In my experience, Olive Garden has NOTHING to do with Italian food...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    You and two others have nothing to do with audio either yet, here you are. Spewing out anything and everything non-audio.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Hmmmm...I wonder what the Coronavirus sounds like. *FACEPALM*
  • motorhead43026
    daddyjt wrote: »

100% correct.

Further, if we ever go to “Medicare for all” (socialized medicine), most of the medical innovations in this country will cease. THAT will be a massive tragedy.

Valid assumption, so I guess we have no room to complain about the cost of medical care and insurance either. We must shutup and pay the price for funding these innovations, or they will cease to exist for the same reason.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Aside from being tragic, this virus outbreak is really interesting. It has only been about one month since it started making the news, and quite a bit has happened and changed in that one month. It will be very interesting what the next month will bring.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt

100% correct.

Valid assumption, so I guess we have no room to complain about the cost of medical care and insurance either. We must shutup and pay the price for funding these innovations, or they will cease to exist for the same reason.

No, by all means - complain all you want. But don’t demand a vaccine for viruses like this, then bemoan the cost of pharmaceuticals...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Thank you, John. I was looking for that yesterday. Much appreciated.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • motorhead43026
    edited March 2020

100% correct.

No, by all means - complain all you want. But don’t demand a vaccine for viruses like this, then bemoan the cost of pharmaceuticals...

I am not complaining at all. I have excellent employer provided insurance, private sector.

In fact I am going to be treated for a virus related condition, it is an 8 week treatment $1333.00 per pill per day.

• motorhead43026
    edited March 2020
    It could get real bloody into the close.

• BlueFox
    Yes, and it is just getting started.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    This will be the norm for the next three to four weeks. Hang on to your britches.
  • Kex
    Jstas wrote: »
    That link has been posted a half dozen times already...

Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    All of those points have been made time and time again. In fact, we were told to believe that this was nothing but a blip.

The JHU CSSE link clearly shows that this is absolutely not a blip.

The markets agree that this is not a blip. In fact, the DJIA closed in bear market territory for the first time since the financial crisis. The S&P 500 and Nasdaq are less than 2% away from the same fate.

Goldman Sachs estimates that we will enter bear market territory for all three indices within weeks, before recovering.

Meanwhile, every time it was stated that this was serious, the response has been that everything was fine. In fact, here’s a lovely quote that has aged well in hindsight.
    F1nut wrote: »
    President Trump.....we've got this.

The fate of the markets is inextricably linked to the progress of the virus.
    Alea jacta est!
  • daddyjt
    edited March 2020

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• motorhead43026
    edited March 2020
    The OP brought up the financial implications, so it's not off topic.

I am North of 65 years old, although the odds of catching this are slim I would be a dead man if I should.

• BlueFox
    All implications, physical, social, economic, are valid discussion points. As I said earlier, I am really interested in what the next month will bring. Sticking our head in sand and ignoring it will not change anything. Ignorance is not bliss.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Nobody is advocating ignorance Bud, just common sense.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Well looks like all NCAA games and some NBA teams are going to play in empty auditoriums.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Kex wrote: »
    All of those points have been made time and time again. In fact, we were told to believe that this was nothing but a blip.

The JHU CSSE link clearly shows that this is absolutely not a blip.

The markets agree that this is not a blip. In fact, the DJIA closed in bear market territory for the first time since the financial crisis. The S&P 500 and Nasdaq are less than 2% away from the same fate.

Goldman Sachs estimates that we will enter bear market territory for all three indices within weeks, before recovering.

Meanwhile, every time it was stated that this was serious, the response has been that everything was fine. In fact, here’s a lovely quote that has aged well in hindsight.
    F1nut wrote: »
    President Trump.....we've got this.

The fate of the markets is inextricably linked to the progress of the virus.

You just proved John's point, you're all about the money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021

100% correct.

Not a valid assumption at all. NASA and military research has yielded vast amounts of practical innovations. All funded by taxpayers with government oversight.
This discussion has been closed.