Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764

Interesting... thanks for the links. But after a little digging it appears that the Coronovirus / HIV hybrid idea had been disproven. The paper was originally published in a non peer reviewed journal and has been withdrawn.

From a follow up article. https://bioworld.com/articles/433087-article-headline

“From everything I’ve looked at, there is zero evidence for genetic engineering; it looks like normal evolution,” said Trevor Bedford, a computational biologist at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, who has been using genomes sequences taken from patient samples to track the spread of the virus since Jan. 11.

“Thousands of mutations are distributed across the genome. If you’re engineering something, you wouldn’t do that. There are no signals for biological engineering. It looks like natural evolution,” Bedford told attendees of the AAAS meeting on Feb. 14.

Bedford also decried a paper published on the Biorxiv preprint server by scientists at the Indian Institutes of Technology, pointing to an “uncanny similarity” between COVID-19 and HIV. They claimed to have identified four insertions in the spike glycoprotein of COVID-19, through which the virus binds to the host cell, that are not present in other coronaviruses, but which looked the same as key structural proteins of HIV-1, a finding that they said “is unlikely to be fortuitous in nature.”

The research “was very shoddily done,” Bedford said. “The sequence differences are not unique to COVID-19. Closely related [bat] coronaviruses have these chunks as well. They are small motifs used by nature over and over again.”

The paper was swiftly withdrawn from Biorxiv, but the allegations continue to have a life of their own on social media, with stories headlined “Scientists confirm” COVID-19 is “man-made.”

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Thanks delkal. Good response.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    China has only one level 4 bio lab for handling these types of viruses. Word is, the animals they do various tests on, are suppose to be cremated. Unless you want to make extra money and sell them to the street markets.....which some have done.

So the infected animals, and who knows what they are infected with, wind up in numerous people's bodies.

This seems to be the most likely explanation, most believable anyway. Except for....if your the only level4 bio lab in the country, and animals are being sold on the side, out the door, and nobody notices ? Or they do and don't care? If they don't care, why are they working around dangerous viruses? Recipe for an even bigger disaster.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    News conference this evening indicates that there is one presumed case in Oregon (yet to be confirmed). Supposedly the person had no contact with people who may have been exposed. The person is hospitalized and heath authorities have traced possible contacts to an elementary school.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    I suspect AOC has posted a lot in this thread.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    So I'm hoping high end audio will be really cheap when this is all said and done.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    audioluvr wrote: »
    So I'm hoping high end audio will be really cheap when this is all said and done.

:) Yea, you call in your order. You then tell them when you will show up. They put it just outside the door before you show up.

or...

Amazon keeps on shipping to our doors. No signing for the items anymore and No returns though. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BlueFox
    Sometimes I grocery shop on Amazon, and that is how they deliver.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    With the market falling, there will be some deals to be had in audio. Good for buyers.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2020
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Man my 401k was kicked in the nuts hard this week.. Ouch....

As long as you're not retiring in the next, say, six weeks, it's not a huge deal, you know? It's a paper loss. You didn't have that money last week -- and you don't have it this week, either. You just don't have less of it. B)

In all seriousness, if one is a ways from retirement, it won't likely do much damage. If one is close to retirement, one's investment mix should be biased away from higher-risk vehicles like stocks and towards 'income' investments.

I feel bad because we were just getting ready to 'gift' :p some appreciated stock to our church for something -- now I am tempted to hold off for a while. Appreciated stock is a nice, painless way to be charitable and also avoid some capital gains! Everybody wins (but the Tax Bureau, that is)! We have some long-held stock in which our basis is virtually zero.
    Just thought I'd throw that in, speaking of stock :)

Now, mind you, that doesn't mean that the next (I dunno) six or twelve months is gonna be all rainbows and unicorns... but the past couple of centuries suggest that the economy chugs along in the long term. And (I'd opine*) that the economy is the important parameter here, and the stock market is not the economy, and vice versa. :)

Massive shifts in population growth could shift that, of course -- but, again, so far so good. :)

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

As long as you're not retiring in the next, say, six weeks, it's not a huge deal, you know? It's a paper loss. You didn't have that money last week -- and you don't have it this week, either. You just don't have less of it. B)

In all seriousness, if one is a ways from retirement, it won't likely do much damage. If one is close to retirement, one's investment mix should be biased away from higher-risk vehicles like stocks and towards 'income' investments.

I feel bad because we were just getting ready to 'gift' :p some appreciated stock to our church for something -- now I am tempted to hold off for a while. Appreciated stock is a nice, painless way to be charitable and also avoid some capital gains! Everybody wins (but the Tax Bureau, that is)! We have some long-held stock in which our basis is virtually zero.

Now, mind you, that doesn't mean that the next (I dunno) six or twelve months is gonna be all rainbows and unicorns... but the past couple of centuries suggest that the economy chugs along in the long term. And (I'd opine*) that the economy is the important parameter here, and the stock market is not the economy, and vice versa. :)

Massive shifts in population growth could shift that, of course -- but, again, so far so good. :)

Thank you Doc; you made me feel a little bit better about the walloping my 401k took last week. I never thought of it that way as you can't lose something you really didn't have but it makes sense.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Thank you Doc; you made me feel a little bit better about the walloping my 401k took last week. I never thought of it that way as you can't lose something you really didn't have but it makes sense.

You lost the time invested, is all.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Joey_V
    Just make sure you’re still contributing to your 401k, especially during a slide. That way you buy low.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Anyone heading to Las Vegas?

vu2311k42jjy.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • “I think there’s a strong possibility that there’s local transmission going in California,” said Jennifer Nuzzo, senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. “In other words, the virus is spreading within California, and I think there’s a possibility other states are in the same boat — they just haven’t recognized that yet.”

Coronavirus is spreading through three more communities on the West Coast

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/a-second-case-of-coronavirus-found-through-spread-in-california/2020/02/28/ae53c93a-5a77-11ea-9b35-def5a027d470_story.html

This isn't going to help the stock market this coming week. Bear market will be at -20%.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited February 2020
    Anyone have ideas on stocks to buy that should benefit (yikes) from corona virus contagion that could continue to get caught up in the panic selling? We can't buy more audio equipment if we're broke.

Seeking alpha article:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4328476-stocks-to-watch-time-for-coronavirus-offense-defense?utm_medium=email&utm_source=seeking_alpha&mail_subject=cost-ge-stocks-to-watch-time-for-coronavirus-offense-or-defense&utm_campaign=rta-stock-article&utm_content=link-2

"Investors have a lot to digest after panic over the economic impact of the coronavirus outbreak sent the market tumbling to its worst weekly loss since 2008 and the 10-year Treasury yield to a record low. While the week ahead could include some coordinated actions by central banks to soothe anxiety, there are also likely to be more earnings warnings from multinationals across sectors. It could also be another volatile week for companies perceived as coronavirus plays such as iBio (NYSEMKT:IBIO), Alpha Pro Tech (NYSEMKT:APT), Lakeland Industries (NASDAQ:LAKE), Vaxart (NASDAQ:VXRT), Co-Diagnostics (NASDAQ:CODX), Inovio Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:INO), Novavax (NASDAQ:NVAX), BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:BCRX), Cocrystal Pharma (NASDAQ:COCP), Vir Biotechnology (NASDAQ:VIR), Moderna (NASDAQ:MRNA), Gilead Sciences (NASDAQ:GILD), Qiagen (NYSE:QGEN), Owens & Minor (NYSE:OMI), Altimmune ((NASDAQ:ALT) and Allied Healthcare Products (NASDAQ:AHPI). On the economic calendar, PMI prints from across the world will be watched closely, as well as reports on durable goods orders and the February employment report. Amid all the market turmoil, energy sector eyes will be focused on Vienna as ministers gather to assess the economic situation and make a decision on output."
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    yes. it's coming. No it's not world ending.
    That's not a surprise. Every city will have it at some point.
    I'm going to catch it. I'll deal with it. There- reality check complete.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I can't remember if this was posted already or not. Here is the list of demographics based upon age, health and sex.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

I ain't skeert!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    Judging by that chart, Bud and I are screwed if we catch it. Oh well.... :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    Not me. It will make me stronger. :)

Seriously, one of the infected people is in my county. Glad I have a few weeks food supply. Think I will order a pizza tonight to save my food. Plus it tastes better than my cooking. I do have to make a beer run next week.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2020
    WA state has the first COVID-19 death in US.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    I've got a linear power supply arriving today from the Guangzhou area of China that I ordered on Feb 9th :#
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • tonyb

...and ? Why is that a level of importance ? More will die from the flu this weekend probably, I see nobody raising awareness levels. Heck in Chicago, more will die from nonsense this weekend. Yet we hear crickets on the national stage.

Remember last year was it....Ebola virus. We were all suppose to die from that one too. Always another crisis around the corner to push the last one out of the way. Like the little boy who cried wolf one too many times. When we really need to be aware and prepared, our guard will be down due to so many cries of the wolf at our door.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    tonyb wrote: »

...and ? Why is that a level of importance ?

Well, for those of us in the PNW it's at least newsworthy.

2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • ^^obviously important enough you found the need to comment with the same old warmed over talking points.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Joey_V
    1 in 30 dies. Geez.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    tonyb wrote: »
    Judging by that chart, Bud and I are screwed if we catch it. Oh well.... :)

Me too.

I not going to worry about it, if it happens it happens. I'll be as careful as I can, that's all a person can do.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
This discussion has been closed.