Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited February 2020
    The market crashes, and the economy follows. It may take some time to catch up, but it always does.... we will start hearing that news just in time for the next election. Next week, we will see how badly Trump’s polling numbers have fallen due to his inept handling of the Coronavirus outbreak, which BTW, has yet to occur here. Not exactly sure what he is supposed to do for the rest of the planet. I guess because we are already the world’s police force, we should be the world’s doctors too. Just give everyone on the planet Medicare for All... right?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Yeah, whatever man. If this is the first "fine line" of political chatter you have seen in this thread, you need some serious help. Or is it only okay if it's from your side? That was a rhetorical question, BTW.

This is the first I have heard that this virus has directly affected the audio world in a big way. The High End show in Munich, Germany has been cancelled.

https://www.highendsociety.de/high-end-44.html

From the article linked...

February 28, 2020

The HIGH END 2020 trade show, planned for May 14 to 17, has been cancelled due to the current worsening trend with respect to the spread of the novel coronavirus. This decision was reached by the HIGH END SOCIETY Service GmbH upon consideration of all criteria in close cooperation with the Board of the HIGH END SOCIETY e.V.

Given that in addition to the countries affected in Asia, infections in Italy have rapidly increased within a few days, it is unclear how the virus will continue to spread in Europe. As organisers of an international trade show, we consider it our responsibility, on the one hand, to safeguard the health of all stakeholders, and on the other hand, to work towards averting possible economic losses of the exhibitors.

Since the rapid spread of the virus in China in mid-January, we have been weighing the possible consequences for the exhibition planned in May. The situation was re-assessed each day by monitoring not only the global spread of the coronavirus but also the international trade show and exhibition scene. In addition to the special situation for Chinese exhibitors, over the past few weeks, we have increasingly received inquiries from other companies as to whether the strained situation would have an impact on the HIGH END 2020.

A total of 500 trade visitors from 40 countries had registered for the HIGH END 2020 trade show. You will be informed on the latest news concerning the cancellation. Trade visitors and end users who have already purchased a ticket for the HIGH END 2020 will naturally receive a refund.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • I don't care about the market, I don't care about myself getting sick however I do worry as I have a 2 month old. They believe Arizona is going to start seeing community transmission cases in the coming months (thanks California =P).

I am not worried much outside of the aforementioned little one.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • nooshinjohn
    la2vegas wrote: »

You're walking a fine line with all of this political chatter...tone it down.

Says the Raiders fan.... why is it that Antifa supporters and Raiders fans all seem to dress alike? Coincidence???

I think not.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    edited February 2020
    I don't care about the market, I don't care about myself getting sick however I do worry as I have a 2 month old. They believe Arizona is going to start seeing community transmission cases in the coming months (thanks California =P).

Cody, if it makes you feel any better? There has been one confirmed case of a toddler healing by himself with no medicine. Believe me, I hear ya' though.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    treitz3 wrote: »
    The HIGH END 2020 trade show, planned for May 14 to 17, has been cancelled due to the current worsening trend with respect to the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Wow, foolish decision IMO.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    The 2020 Berkshire Hathaway annual stockholders meeting held in Omaha the first week in May is being looked at by Warren and his team. The concern is there are approx. 3,000 shareholders from mainland China that usually fly in every year.
  • aprazer402
    Viking64 wrote: »
    wkpc1ug4lo8m.jpg

Was ist das?
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited February 2020
    /
    I don't care about the market, I don't care about myself getting sick however I do worry as I have a 2 month old. They believe Arizona is going to start seeing community transmission cases in the coming months (thanks California =P).

I saw this link on another forum and it made me feel better about our new grand daughter who is 4 1/2 months old. If it is true, you should feel better about your new baby. Based on the data below it's the old farts like me that need to worry more than young people. Real close to the 8% group.

Age, Sex, Existing Conditions of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    wkpc1ug4lo8m.jpg

Was ist das?

An open-baffle subwoofer?

Dove under wire with a white wine sauce?

Sylvester and Tweety: The Final Years?

Things to do in Wyoming when you're dead?

Don't breathe the air if you want to ride in the mothership?
  • Milito wrote: »
    /

I saw this link on another forum and it made me feel better about our new grand daughter who is 4 1/2 months old. If it is true, you should feel better about your new baby. Based on the data below it's the old farts like me that need to worry more than young people. Real close to the 8% group.

Age, Sex, Existing Conditions of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics

That does put me a bit more at ease, I appreciate the data set. I kept a close eye on the outbreak initially but now that I am back at work I hardly have time to get home, eat and take a shower before I have to go to bed.

All my time goes to the little ones lol.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I am starting to think this is not as bad as it could be. Granted, the death rate is on the high side compared to other viruses, but not catastrophic. At least so far. I will wait 2-3 months, and then decide whether or not to get back in the market at that time, or wait longer.

However, this virus demonstrates how unprepared the world is for new diseases. At some point, a really killer virus will come into play. I hope we learn from this outbreak.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • aprazer402
    wkpc1ug4lo8m.jpg

Was ist das?

An open-baffle subwoofer?

Dove under wire with a white wine sauce?

Sylvester and Tweety: The Final Years?

Things to do in Wyoming when you're dead?

Don't breathe the air if you want to ride in the mothership?

I couldn't see it on a small screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q918fs4RAto
  • Almost a billion shares traded today, which is amazing. Buyers stepped in the later part of the day.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I couldn't see it on a small screen.
    It's the scene in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" where Roy Neary (Richard Dreyfuss) and Jillian Guiler (Melinda Dillon) are trying to get close to Devil's Tower and they reach an Army roadblock. The caged birds they bought were sprayed with some sort of sleep-inducing agent when they were being detained.

This link explains the scene in greater detail. :p

https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/64845/how-did-the-two-birds-in-the-cage-die
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Bud, please explain what your idea is of being prepared for every known and unknown virus to plague mankind looks like.

To me, it's an impossible task. We can't even prepare for the different strains of the flu virus every year. They basically guess, pick up to 4 strains they think will be the worst, and go from there. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. That's just one virus out of countless.

To say the world is unprepared....I dunno, next to future telling or time travel, I don't see how we can be prepared for every calamity that can befall us.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • aprazer402
    Once I got it enlarged on a desktop PC monitor, I remembered it from the Close Encounter scene.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Sweet ride in the background there....
  • treitz3
    Well, thing is, the CDC was prepared for this virus but the virus mutated and the preparedness was no longer useful. It had to be recalled and modified.

Tony is correct, there is no way to prepare for something like this. Unless it is biological warfare and a vaccine is readily available to the country or regime that launched the biological attack. Even then, once released, nature sometimes takes its own course. If it mutates, then the vaccine is no longer useful.

Fact remains that in the US, no deaths and 62 cases. Of those 62, all are on the mend with one exception. I say we were prepared and we took decisive and swift action for containment.

Look at France. Aren't 12 people dead already over there and it's been less than a week for them?

I just want to know why the international community isn't coming down HARD on China for stealing the virus from Canada o begin with. Had they never stolen it? We wouldn't even be here talking about it to begin with.

Tom
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    First I heard about China stealing the virus. Thought it originated over there from animals.
  • tonyb
    Tom, I don't think that claim has been proven, so I dunno about throwing it out as fact.
    I'd like to comment on that last paragraph but politics will enter big time.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    edited February 2020
    deronb1 wrote: »
    First I heard about China stealing the virus. Thought it originated over there from animals.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/did-china-steal-coronavirus-canada-and-weaponize-it

https://www.theweek.in/news/world/2020/01/28/coronavirus-outbreak-a-result-of-chinese-biological-espionage.html

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/questions-surround-canadian-shipment-of-deadly-viruses-to-china-66254

Well, it looks like online history has already been re-written and the usual "fact checkers" that are usually proven wrong themselves are saying none of this happened. I guess at this point, there is merit in printed newspapers. They still have the articles. I first heard about this in December.

Anyhoo, we touched on this earlier in the thread. Believe what you want. They stole it or they didn't. Does not really matter what I or anybody else thinks if history gets rewritten live time. What matters is how did it get outside of a Level 4 Biohazard lab and "supposedly" end up in a food market about 20 miles away? Or have they re-written that too?

Tom
  • Looks like there's a second case of community spread Corona Virus in the US now:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/02/28/new-coronavirus-cases-in-northern-california-raise-alarm/23936667/
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    There was a paper on the viruses genetic sequence. They can tell it came out recently from a single source and has not mutated much. It was not a from a herd of sick animal carriers infecting different people. And one of the first cases was someone not associated to the meat market.

I thought the endangered animal meat market cover story was BS from the beginning. It was way to early in the epidemic for the Chinese to pinpoint the source and way to convenient to say it was from the Chinese eating rare and endangered animals. Trying to get people to stop eating endangered Pagolins is just more BS. They are not the carriers. It was weeks before the media even mentioned China's only official biosafety level 4 lab was 10 miles away from that meat market. Before that it was just the tin foil hat fringe mentioning it on message boards (and people laughing at them and saying they wear tin foil hats)
  • nooshinjohn
    The report I read indicated that the virus started out as SARS, and the markers present indicated it had been manipulated in the lab with components of HIV. This is why the most effective treatments seem to be those designed to fight AIDS.

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    The report I read indicated that the virus started out as SARS, and the markers present indicated it had been manipulated in the lab with components of HIV. This is why the most effective treatments seem to be those designed to fight AIDS.

Do you have a link? This doesn't sound probable.

But we will eventually find out if it was engineered by further sequencing of the virus. Scientist will be able to determine if a sequence matching another disease is spliced in. I wouldn't trust anything coming out of China but US labs should be able to tell.

My guess is they were studying a natural coronavirus strain and got sloppy. Someone or some animal got infected and got out.

Or if you really want some tin foil hat stuff how about this........someone was making some cash on the side selling the dead test animals to the meat market instead of incinerating them. We are talking about China.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Whether this virus was created in a lab, or is a mutation of an existing virus, is open for debate. Also, as a man-made virus it is pretty weak. However, at some point a man-made killer virus will be released either by a government, or a disgruntled person. The movie ‘12 Monkeys’ on this subject is excellent.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited February 2020
    About the only way we can be better prepared is to have way better containment plans in place and then don't delay in using them. But even then there are just way too many incredibly stupid people out there.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • tonyb
    Tom, as time goes on every theory is gonna get shade thrown on it. This is China, truth and accountability just aren't going to happen. We may never know the full truth.

Imho....this was just a test, gather data on responses, infection paths, time it takes, etc. I highly doubt this was some sort of accident. Bio labs have many safe guards to prevent such things. Like Tom said, you just don't shove it in your lunchbox and walk out the front door of a bio lab. Many questions, not enough answers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn

This discussion has been closed.