Scary virus outbreak in China

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    For you doomsday folks, this should make you happy...it seems that you are thriving on it, so let me add some gas to the fire. You can thank me later.

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Panic is never a good thing, but using available information from reputable sources has absolutely nothing to do with doomsday thinking IMO. It has everything to do with rational timing when deciding whether to add more money into the market right now or not. In the absence of intensive testing for new cases in a timely manner, it’s impossible to know.

What if 500 new cases will be identified in the U.S. by the end of next week? Even if that number is meaningless (on the grand scheme of things), it has the potential to drive markets lower, even if it’s only for a day or a week.
    • The S&P 500 has wiped out more than half of the gains from the last 12 months.
    • The Nasdaq has also wiped out half of the gains from the last 12 months.
    • The DJIA 30 has lost all gains from the last 12 months.
    At this rate, if there is more bad news, we could enter bear market territory before the end of March, and all gains from all of 2019 could be wiped out. 2018 was not an especially good year overall, so we could find ourselves back into December 2017 territory, even if it doesn’t last.

Informed investors and bargain hunters have to decide when they want to start thinking about their options.

Personally, I’m quite happy for now. I am still where I was in November of 2019.
    Alea jacta est!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Israel already has a vaccine in the works, available in the next 3 months. Calm down with the market crash stuff, by summer there will be a new crisis and the only Corona you'll find will be in a bottle.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    Options
    I work in packaging and office supplies and I was cracking up as I overheard a CSD rep adding some masks to a customer order. She said "I can add them but they are completely out of stock and there is no time frame for replenishment with all of our vendors."

You can't prep after the fact.
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Israel already has a vaccine in the works, available in the next 3 months. Calm down with the market crash stuff, by summer there will be a new crisis and the only Corona you'll find will be in a bottle.
    There are several companies working on a vaccine, and Gilead Science is already testing an anti-viral that may help those who are already ill, but none of this is certain, and it would seem highly unlikely that there will be a vaccine for some time.

Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    This is from today. No timeframe announced.

Times Of Israel
    Alea jacta est!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    the only Corona you'll find will be in a bottle.

I would rather have the virus than drink that pi$$water. :p
  • Kex
    Options
    This might be the origin of your optimism concerning the vaccine timeframe. We shall see, but mixing politics with scientific research is not usually a good idea.

Jerusalem Post
    Alea jacta est!
  • treitz3
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Panic is never a good thing...

Then why are you hell bent on the doom, gloom and doomsday crap? Just shut the F up and see what happens. Jeez. Quit promoting negative crap with every post you (along with some others) make.

Damn.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Kex
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Posting while under the influence is not advisable behavior.
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Panic is never a good thing...

Then why are you hell bent on the doom, gloom and doomsday crap? Just shut the F up and see what happens. Jeez. Quit promoting negative crap with every post you (along with some others) make.

Damn.

Tom

Bingo!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    If you guys have a problem with current events then go to another thread.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The virus is thought to be like the cold. You can catch it over and over. This is scary since it has the ability to kill.

Fact is that the common cold are caused by a plethora of viruses.
    One of them is rhinovirus.
    The other is coronavirus.

This is not something that just came out of nowhere, however the issue with this is that this is a mutated version, came from an animal that probably jumped from another animal species.

I believe that it is because in China there are marketplaces where multiple different species in close proximity, virus jumps from one to another and then finally to a human.

Voila, COVID19.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Word is that it was a pangolin... Or a bat or snake or tiger p enis.... Heck could have been all of them :trollface:
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited February 2020
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Word is that it was a pangolin... Or a bat or snake or tiger p enis.... Heck could have been all of them :trollface:

Could have been Russ for all we know. In fact, the word "virus" ends with "rus"... coincidence??? I think not. ;)
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Could have been Russ for all we know. In fact, the word "virus" ends with "rus"... coincidence??? I think not. ;)

Hahahaha!!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    Funny in this thread people are saying chill and don't panic...and in the same thread people are promoting their wild conspiracy theories. While I tend not to over react, there is a chance of health care systems being overwhelmed with sick children and older people. Also, most companies involved in China are not prepared for this interruption in their supply chains. While the virus is not considered deadly in most cases...hopefully this will prepare us for the bad one which is coming.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Posting while under the influence is not advisable behavior.
    This had absolutely NOTHING to do with alcohol. It had EVERYTHING to do with your blatant hypocrisy. It's obvious to everyone else. If should be to you too.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    If you guys have a problem with current events then go to another thread.
    When you become a moderator, then you can tell me where to go. Until then? I believe you already know where you can...

Never mind, you are not worth my time.

Tom

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Dow just opened 30 minutes ago (2/28) and is down 1000 points.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Wow, 150M shares traded/sold in the first 30 minutes. Over half the daily average of 287M. Signals major institutional selling.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Yeah definitely institutions and margin calls.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Brace yourself.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited February 2020
    Options
    "And those surgical masks? If you’re not sick, you don’t need to wear them — and you certainly don’t need to buy every box your local pharmacy has in stock.

“The main point of the mask is to keep someone who is infected with the virus from spreading it to others,” Brewer said. The CDC agrees, writing on its website: “CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases.”

Common surgical masks block the droplets coming out of a sick person from getting into the air, but they are not tight enough to prevent what’s already in the air from getting in. There are specialized masks — known as N95 masks because they filter out 95 percent of airborne particles — that are more effective, and some online retailers are sold out of them.

But there’s a problem: The masks are difficult to use without training. They must be fitted and tested to work properly. “If you just buy them at CVS, you’re not going to do all that,” Brewer said. “You’re not going to get it fittested, and you’re not going to be wearing it properly, so all you’ve done is spend a lot of money on a very fancy face mask.”

• nooshinjohn
    edited February 2020
    Options
    You never want to let a good crisis to go to waste..
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    If this one was the world ender, we would already
    be dead. It will just be a PITA for a while and go away.
    No need to IMMEDIATELY close schools and public places and all the
    nonsense the press is spouting. That may be an option at some point, but
    we certainly aren't there yet.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Options
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    The press and certain others are trying to crash the economy, nothing more and nothing less.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2020
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    The press and certain others are trying to crash the economy, nothing more and nothing less.

The economy isn't crashing but the market seems to be.

I'd like to see another 10% leg down.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
This discussion has been closed.