Infinity RSII....??? Any one had ears on them?

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited February 2020
    I used the Jantzen Cross Caps in my 12B and they seem to do pretty darn good. So I have high hopes the EMITs will like these caps. I wish they had this capnjn a 250v instead of 800v.

wl3xxcfahtb6.jpg
    c2e14due6bd1.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2020
    I'm sure those will work well. The only thing I don't like about the high volt caps is the leads are thick and often require drilling out the circuit boards to accommodate. If you find the Jantzen's a little too bright for the emits you could try the Sonicap or Mundorf's as they tend to be a little warmer IMHO. Swapping out shouldn't be much of a problem as the 12uF is common in a lot of components so you shouldn't have any problems with resale.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Leads shouldn't matter for him as IIRC it is all point to point.
  • CH46E
    So these Jantzen Superior Z Caps are 12 uf with 2% tolerance. I had the AC repair guy here today and I watched him use his Fluke. I asked if it tested caps and it did. I asked him to test the two Jantzen caps. They were 12.34 and 12.37. Now if my math is correct, they should be no more than 12.24. As expensive as they were should I contact Parts Connexion? I mean, they should be just fine right? These are for the EMIT tweeters.

Or should I hold the manufacturer responsible for what they are advertising vs what they are selling????

Thanks for any advice!
  • pitdogg2
    Do we know if the meter was off a bit?
  • CH46E
    No... and I was thinking there could be a variation with the equipment used to test with. A couple guys on AK pretty much asked the same thing you just did.

These should be going in tomorrow with all the other caps.
    Thanks.
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2020
    Even in tube testing, between testers there can be variations between the same brand of machines that kilter a little one way or the other. They're much tighter than OEM by far.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    What frequency was the test signal used to test the caps?

Capacitance varies with frequency. I don't know what the "standard" frequency is, or even if it varies with the value of the capacitor being tested. My meter has two choices for test frequency, but I don't remember what they are.
  • CH46E
    Oh... I have no idea what frequency may have been used. I know very little about testing caps.
  • At least they are super close to each other and I second the other comments about frequency. If you knew the Fluke's testing frequency you could contact Jantzen and ask them what frequency or frequencies they use to evaluate their capacitors and compare.

Having said all that, I'm sure if you contact Parts Connexion they will just send another pair out to you no questions asked (ha! just a little morning levity).
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Why not test them again elsewhere if you are worried about it?
  • CH46E
    I'm just about to install them. Not time to go test somewhere else. Besides, I guess they are close enough. And so close together is great. I'm sure I'm still beating the factory caps +- tolerances anyways.

Thanks for the advice guys.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Very curious to know how they sound after break-in. Nice caps.
  • CH46E
    edited February 2020
    Is it ok to piggy back the caps like in this photo? For my electrolytic caps in the bass section I have to add 3 together. im226qipa6db.jpg

Or should I keep all the leads as close to the same length as possible then solder them at the end points? I'm concerned that the thin lead on one cap may not be suitable. I have to join 2 680 uf caps and a 220 uf together.
  • CH46E
    A or B or none of the below?

A
    unft7m041p3s.jpg

B
    ixrqfdt2e1j4.jpg
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    edited February 2020
    I like B because it should let you get a good tight wrap first and then you can use a minimal amt of solder. I would say that it might be good to put a piece of foam tape between the capacitors to minimize any chance of microphonics.

PS: I had said A or C because I was including the post before the last one as A. Sorry
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2020
    Those big value, 680uf & 220uf, caps: Make, model, $, & from where? Thnx
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • CH46E
    Part Conexxion, Mundorf E-Caps 63 volt. Was not very expensive at all.
    u4dpxufm2kix.jpg
  • CH46E
    edited February 2020
    8u8i55g5c9ti.jpg

$9.62 for the 680 uf caps.
  • Schurkey
    1. When it was me, and I had to parallel multiple caps, I went to NAPA (or any other auto-parts or electronics-supply store) and bought tinned copper crimp rings in a blister pack hanging on the electrical terminals rack.

This isn't the product I used, but it's an adequate example.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HP185C1?tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Slide the leads for the caps through the ring, crimp, THEN solder. Photo doesn't show this well, but it is visible. Two caps, crimped and soldered to a short copper-wire extension so I have enough lead length to reach the circuit board.
    PolkLF_FinishedSM.JPG

2. I was taught (here, on the Polk Forums) that when paralleling caps, to use equivalent or near-equivalent values to achieve the total capacitance. Supposedly, this "sounds better" than paralleling caps of widely-different values. Thus the photo above is two, 91uF caps to get as close as possible to the 185 specified in the schematic.
  • pitdogg2
    Yes I agree that when you parallel they should be as close to the same as possible. The smaller caps will tend to act like a bypass caps if they are much smaller in value than the others.
  • CH46E
    edited February 2020
    Thanks @pitdogg2 and @Schurkey, I'll keep that in mind for the future. Other than the 1,600 uf caps for the bass section most of my caps are close to each other as far as the 600 and 125 caps go.

I could use some help here. I really dont want to go budget build on this midrange section as ther are three mids and all are crossed over separately. I'm also very much wanting to get the best vocals I can from these speakers. I posed this question over on AK in the dedicated Infinity thread, but still very much respect opinions here. See below.

I'm having a hard time finding a high quality affordable 150 uf cap. I'm looking at filling the (4) 12.5 caps and (2) 6.8 caps with Jantzen Silver caps. They have a 6.8 uf cap. But no 12.5. So I'll gave to stack a 10 and a 2.47 (IIRC) cap for the 12.5.

I wanted to go higher end for the mid range section. Problem is finding a quality 150 uf film cap in my budget. I'm looking to spend about $70.00 each for a pair. Any suggestions?

It's the first cap on the mid range circuit so I feel like if I go with a lower quality cap it will negate any improvements I might gain from putting premium caps later in the circuit.
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2020
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2020
    You do not want to parallel a 10 and 2.47 that is exactly the scenario I was referring to as it will act more like a bypass cap. Either 13uf or 12uf you'll be much better off and still closer than oem that more than likely was +/- 10 % or more.
  • CH46E
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You do not want to parallel a 10 and 2.47 that is exactly the scenario I was referring to as it will act more like a bypass cap. Either 13uf or 12uf you'll be much better off and still closer than oem that more than likely was +/- 10 % or more.

Ok I gotcha now. That opens a few more options.
  • Schurkey
    CH46E wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time finding a high quality affordable 150 uf cap.
    www.erseaudio.com

MPX25-03-150.0 $28.70 each plus shipping.

Specifications
    Capacitance 150 µF
    Voltage Rating 250 VDC
    Tolerance 3.0%
    Dissipation Factor .001
    Outside Diameter 56 mm
    Length 72 mm
    Wire Diameter 1.6 mm
    Lead Length 58 mm
    RoHS Compliant Yes RoHS Compliant
    Weight: .39 lb

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2020
    Before this thread changes topics from XO caps

How do any of the above caps stack up next to Clarity’s PX line.

3-4 years ago was in the market for “neutral” sounding DC blocking tweeter caps for bi-amped and tri-amped speakers. Preferred a value that was “straight-wire“ @ 2Khz or lower frequency.

I’ve since made my purchases but would consider upgrades for my LR or LCR tweeters. Thnx for reading this far...

Watching this build in wide-eyed wonder. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Very encouraging and great job so far!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS