Infinity RSII....??? Any one had ears on them?

Options

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    I sanded the fuse holders on the speakers then cleaned them off with a some mass air flow sensor cleaner I had in the garage. Replaced all the fuses and we are up and running.

Something to note, i was not super impressed with the imaging of these RS. I just figured it was the caps. But after replacing the fuses I did not toe them back in nearly as much. They are almost at zero toe-in and the imaging just popped right into place.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    Mapleshade SILCLEAR Silver Contact Enhancer........I swear by this stuff for all my audio contacts:

https://audioleman.ch/product/mapleshade-silclear/
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Some pretty big value caps. Be patient and hopefully a good cap sale will come your way.

orusz6uo047q.jpg

• CH46E
    Options
    Does anyone know what the exact values are on the 1600 and 600 uf caps are. I'm trying to find out the voltage so I can make sure I get the right specs.

I was trying to find Nichicon gold tune caps but voltages are all over the place. I've never had such a hard time trying to find caps. Uuuuggggh!
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    No I don't but I found the schematic for the crossover in the RS IIa/b, which *may* be of some interest. It's interesting that there are 3 tweeters and they each seem to use 1.25 amp fuses. The high midrange uses a 2.5 amp fuse and the low midrange uses none (?). Total of 4 fuses.

fs24dchgqg7w.png
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • CH46E
    Options
    Since these are Di-pole speakers ( i think that's the right term, there is a tweeter facing the rear) should I be worried about the acoustic treatments in the corners as seen in my photos? It's just some acoustic foam and the larger peices are Acurelex Bass Traps.

Should I maybe raise them up to about a 45 degree angle from the tweeters on the back?

0coyaccycpdu.jpg
    ofrh6pltx2fa.jpg
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Unless the rear facing tweeters are firing in reverse phase with the fronts, they would be called BIpoles actually and not DIpoles.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    No Infinity Bass Contour Module included, which is a necessary part and was never an option. Amazing how many of these are missing that! They look fantastic though! I think the guy says he removed the grill pegs but he has the grills! I wouldn't want to use them but why remove the pegs and fill the holes lol?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • CH46E
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »

Those were the ones I really wanted. They are also the ones I was afraid of wanting to upgrade to after having these RSII.
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    Options
    So.... I think I really screwed up today.

The screens that came with these RSII were a bit smelly and I had been in the garage spraying the fronts with Fabreeze. I set the bottle down to turn the screens over, I then picked up the bottle i thought was Febreze and started spraying the back sides. Turns out i picked up a bottle of RainX windshield cleaner. I had a good 4 to 5 sprays each screen before I realized my mistake. I dont see any bleaching effects. All looks ok. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Should be good to go and now they're water proof!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    Options
    Well SOB! GD porch pirates strike! God help one of them if i ever catch them in the act on my property. So the box of items that included a can of deoxit must have been taken from my porch.

Does anyone know if any places like Lowes , Home Depot, Ace or others carry something that does the same thing? I have no Radio Shacks near me. I cant find deoxit locally.

I did notice the auto parts stores carry CRC contact cleaners and other electrical cleaners. Will these products work for cleaning pots?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,313
    Options
    Sorry to hear of that. Yes. Contact cleaner will work okay. DeOxit is just the "go-to" for audio.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    Options
    Thanks Tom. I'll do that tomorrow. I'm tired of waiting to get started on these speakers.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    A long time ago in a far away forum one of my tunerinfo folks had a transmission fluid concoction that was alluded to work just as well as deoxit. Swore deoxit to have transmission fluid in it.
  • CH46E
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    A long time ago in a far away forum one of my tunerinfo folks had a transmission fluid concoction that was alluded to work just as well as deoxit. Swore deoxit to have transmission fluid in it.

I could see something like that working based on the properties of ATF. I'm not brave enough to try that **** out. Lol
  • CH46E
    Options
    kdib48c8me3e.jpg

Got some of this today. Going to try and remove the back panel to access the pots now.
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2020
    Options
    From the Michael Percy catalog, apparently you need to be careful and use the right stuff if you have carbon or plastic pots vs all metal ones. Apparently also the base solvent is purified naptha. There is one formula of DeOxit that has much higher capacity to clean heavily oxidized pots as well:

3btymof1thag.png
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks again Garden. This stuff is safe for all plastics. I'll hold a rag to catch excess drippings. Just going to do a few light applications into the pots. After the first spray I'll let them sit a min or two then flush some more and work the pots back and forth then another flush. I'll repeat as necessary until the pots stop scratching the sound so much. Going to re clean the fuse contacts and the speaker terminal contacts where my banana plugs go in.

I may also start with once driver at a time (as to not mess up the wiring assignments) and clear the Male and female ends at each driver. I'll use a dental pick to clean the female spades. Then spray them.
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I pulled the crossover boards out to have a look and clean the pots. Plenty of suprises for sure. My right speaker has a 3.0 ohm load at the terminals. The left has a 3.5 ohm load. Someone has certainly been inside these. Both crossovers are different. It appears the right speaker has undergone some work. Some one also disconnected the 1,600 if caps in both speakers. The right speaker has a pile of smaller caps for the 1600 but its disconnected. The left only has one huge cap for the 1600 and again its disconnected.

And should all these inductors be offset from each other? Not so close and in the same orientation???

Well take a look at the pics.
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • CH46E
    Options
    czhzwet2zctz.jpg
    rfg25uf9q2hn.jpg
    l58kmlwib68l.jpg
    cpwh7egb6ayu.jpg
    ucgocb6kvf7e.jpg

These are all from the right speaker. Left to follow.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what the transformers are for? Noise suppression?
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Pics from audiokarma

qdsvahnvohwd.jpg

3zhskem1bo8l.jpg

6nbq9mnn4alb.jpg

yos1bj7dw84k.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • CH46E
    Options
    sokf564gi4og.jpg

Looking at this schematic it looks like the 1600 if cap is to cross the top woofer over at 125hz and the bottom to 50 or 60hz?

I tried to remove the woofers to test thier resistance, but they are damn sure stuck in there. I will tap the uppers out from the back. The lowers are going to have to be pryed out.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I'm thinking maybe the 3 *transformers* are perhaps laminated iron core inductors (or something)?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I see 7 inductors but the schematic shows 8. Probably a small one hidden in there somewhere.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I see 7 inductors but the schematic shows 8. Probably a small one hidden in there somewhere.

Could this be it? Looks like a small iron core.

7jlebe9m4a5q.jpg

78wwzocwvfae.jpg