I’m not typically afraid of heights, BUT.....

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    At 7:17... "Look mom, no hands!"
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    I assume they are well paid.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Man I made it to 1:53 and I was DONE!!
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I believe that lightning strikes can be a major issue.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Pfft, day at the office for Russ... B)
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    I used to do some of that in my youth.
    Waaaay too old for that now.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Your knees shot because of it? I have a buddy acquaintance that used to do that for decades and all he does is complain about his knees. He blames it on all of that climbing.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    My t3sticles got a workout while watching that video.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

I was thinking these guys make Russ look like a Wuss...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640

I was thinking these guys make Russ look like a Wuss...

Well, he'd have to stop halfway for a smoke break 😁
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    What happens if someone gets halfway up there and has an overwhelming urge to go number two? I'm thinking there's only 2 choices and neither are good ones.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    edited February 2020
    BASE jumpers wet dream right there....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Like Steven Wright, I suffer only from a fear of widths.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The steel erection company I used to work for, for several years also did tower installs.
    One week I would be slinging steel on a 500,000 sq ft warehouse build and the next, standing up a tower for a small radio station or a TV station.
    But our work was never done with free-climb. We always had to have at least 1 safety line connected at all time.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited February 2020
    A little back story on the original video. That came out some time back. Then it was noticed that the guy didn't use the mandatory two safety method that is required by regulations. They pulled back the video, afraid of getting in trouble. But it was already out there and flying around the web and the original post being pulled down didn't work.

Required is two safety latches. One hooked at all times while you move the other. Now, climbing up the pole steps, that's about impossible. But to film it and put it out there is another matter.

In more recent times, all over the country there is a television "repack" going on. So antenna systems put up for HD, not many years ago, are now being literally trashed well before end of life and probably before ever being paid off. But with congress passing out tax money, which is of course unlimited, they are blowing past that problem to squeeze frequency space away from television and be able to resell it to the cell companies.

So the big work going on for the last couple years is pulling off antenna's and installing new ones at different frequencies. Often, this is done with industrial helicopters. Remove the old antenna, taking it down. Also lower off a section of the tower where the super strong mounting is for the top pole. Refurb or replace that top of the tower section. Then by chopper, raise up that top section and then the top pole or antenna, depending on the design.

And here happens to be a long video showing that type of work going on. Think about tying yourself off and trying to stay hanging up there.....directly under the wash from the chopper and then trying to do the work to un-attach and re-attach sections that normally weigh tons! Set back and watch this kind of work...

https://youtu.be/pitEq8gjNj8

CJ

PS...at just after the 20 min mark they actually have an accident happen. All ok though.
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I get scared climbing a ladder and walking on the roof of a regular house, let alone that. :#
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited February 2020
    I get scared climbing the front porch steps... you couldn't pay me 1mil to climb that. When we stayed in San Francisco we were way up in our hotel room. To get from the elevators to our room we had to cross a glass hallway. Many times I would walk fast or run across. To close the curtains, I would grab the stick/ handle and back away from the window and close them. It was the Loews hotel it was called the Mandarin at the time. We were on the 42nd floor.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Your knees shot because of it? I have a buddy acquaintance that used to do that for decades and all he does is complain about his knees. He blames it on all of that climbing.

Tom

Knees are shot but not because of that. I moved on pretty quickly.
    Years in IT crawling around under desks
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2020
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

Knees are shot but not because of that. I moved on pretty quickly.
    Years in IT crawling around under desks

TMI...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • I was in a panic watching that clip!! I have a stress test in a few weeks. I'll watch it again,and they can gather their data.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • nooshinjohn
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    The steel erection....

In my day it was called a Woodie....

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    CoolJazz wrote: »

Looks like fun.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    The steel erection....

In my day it was called a Woodie....

I actually had an assortment of this shirt in various colors that I wore to work regularly...

hardon.jpg
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip