Infinity RSII....??? Any one had ears on them?

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Yup there it is!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    A pile of smaller caps, if done right would work but those don't look ideal and could be due for replacement anyways.

Start with the these.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier-CDE/DCM162U100AH2B?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsh%2B1woXyUXj963i0M1kpM8GPKBwin3yuc=
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    audioluvr wrote: »
    A pile of smaller caps, if done right would work but those don't look ideal and could be due for replacement anyways.

Start with the these.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier-CDE/DCM162U100AH2B?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsh%2B1woXyUXj963i0M1kpM8GPKBwin3yuc=

They have been disconnected anyways for some reason.
  • CH46E
    audioluvr wrote: »

Start with the these.

I sent for a quote for a pair of them.

I also found these. These would work too right?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/ALS70A162KE450?qs=AQlKX63v8RvkjQoaay5Suw==
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    CH46E wrote: »
    sokf564gi4og.jpg

Looking at this schematic it looks like the 1600 if cap is to cross the top woofer over at 125hz and the bottom to 50 or 60hz?

I tried to remove the woofers to test thier resistance, but they are damn sure stuck in there. I will tap the uppers out from the back. The lowers are going to have to be pryed out.
    Nice pair of RS IIs. These along with the KEF 105.2's are my favourite speakers of that era. Heard them at the first audio show I ever attended as a young audio nut and I was smitten. They were driven by an amp from a then new company Classe. The DR3
    HVC.

The 1600 uf cap in series with the woofers is actually used to extend bass response. It's a little trick also used in the KEF's. Bypassing them will mostly affect the very low bass response. The lower woofer is actually rolled off by the 30mh inductor and 600uf 12db low pass filter.

That's a real hog pog assembly on the crossover, but typical for speakers of the day.
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    FTGV, thanks. That makes sense. I finally removed the lower woofer to make sure they are playing. They are indeed, but very very low output compared to the upper woofers. Even when I threw 50, 40 and 30 hz tones at them while out of the cabinet.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    @audioluvr I noticed that too.....interesting
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    those Cornell Dubilier 1600uF caps DCM162U100AH2B have a tolerance of -10%, +75% (wow)

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • CH46E wrote: »
    kdib48c8me3e.jpg

Got some of this today. Going to try and remove the back panel to access the pots now.
    I know it says this is safe on plastic, but I've had this "soften" some plastic that I have used it on before.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2020
    FTGV, thanks. That makes sense. I finally removed the lower woofer to make sure they are playing. They are indeed, but very very low output compared to the upper woofers. Even when I threw 50, 40 and 30 hz tones at them while out of the cabinet.
    if you’re “testing” THROUGH the XO, you will experience perceived reduced output from the lower driver versus upper. Remember-the lower bass driver XO’d @~50hz(?) versus upper @125(?)

if drivers are out of the closure either driver’s output will diminish as frequency falls.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    if you’re “testing” THROUGH the XO, you will experience perceived reduced output from the lower driver versus upper. Remember-the lower bass driver XO’d @~50hz(?) versus upper @125(?)

if drivers are out of the closure either driver’s output will diminish as frequency falls.

I was judging based on very little cone movement on the lower woofer when in and out (Damn it, now I want a Double Double!) Of the enclosure. From day one I thought the lower woofers were not 100% for one reason or another.

I just wonder why someone would cut the 1600uf cap out. Cost maybe? In which case they did not deserve these speakers in the 1st place.
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    I've been looking at the pics I took and man.... this is overwhelming. I have no idea how I'm going to pull off a recap. This point to point sucks!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Hang in there Chris.

You can do it over time. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    I would normally replace one item at a time. But with these when I desolder one item for removal I'll be desoldering 4 different parts at once.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Dang...that is a challenge for real. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audioluvr
    Or you could contact Dave at DHS @westmassguy or any of the other guys on here capable and get a quote for having him build you a crossover.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Just an FYI, Trey (@VR3) is down for the count right now and is not accepting any more work. He's got enough with his little baby girl now.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    I believe in you :smile:
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    That's the spirit!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    edited February 2020
    I've narrowed a basic search down to 2 different caps for the 1,600 uf I need to make these whole again. Can anyone tell me if these are not a good idea?

I see a lot of caps this size are -10% to +50% for tolerance. That's seems way to high for my liking. These that I found have a flat 20%.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/ALS70A162KE450?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsh%2B1woXyUXjzRu9w46NtHruue2Kak1fJU=

https://www.tedss.com/82D162M200MF

https://www.tedss.com/U36D200LG162M51X92HP

Thanks guys!
  • The Sprague is the outlier price-wise (very low), plus the size must be a typo at 35in. dia. x 63in. L (lol). I don't really know much about quality of capacitors. The Kemet gives an ESR of 117mOhms but I don't see any specs for the UCC.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Interesting article on audiophile capacitors. Hope it helps:

http://aeaaudio.com/audiophile-quality-capacitors-going-beyond-the-simple-re-cap/
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • audioluvr
    Vague info in that link but a good start. There are far more research minded links out there regarding "designer caps" Anybody here on this forum with even a tiny bit of experience with differing caps knows "cheap isn't always ideal" Even Mid-fi equipment (which most of us own) can improve significantly with cap upgrades. It's all a journey but if you're going there drive something fast and exotic! (if you can). BUT, and it's a big butt, If you can't hear these details, or don't care, don't waste your money. Just my 2 cents worth...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • audioluvr
    Hah! Weird but yes better info!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• CH46E
    edited February 2020
    Just a quick update. I've been over on the Infinity section on AK and got some good info.

I placed an order last night for all the caps for the bass section, (Mundorf Electrolytic AC caps) they are some large values.

For the tweeters I paid more for a cap than I ever have. I went with the Jantzen Superior Z-Caps.

Over the next month I'll probably go with Jantzen Superior Z-Caps or their Silver Caps for the mid range section.

o8wy06nvf5m5.jpg
  • audioluvr
    I used the Jantzen Z-series caps in the mid array of my Infinity RS4000's. Not as good as the ones you chose but I thought they turned out really good.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC