Sippin' Bourbon

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    you can always bring a bottle by and listen to some tunes :p
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Marv, I never met you, but if I lived a couple thousand miles closer, I’d like to bring a bottle by.
  • treitz3 wrote: »
    rbmfm310fpk9.png

Tom

Tom,
    Any idea where this shirt can be purchased?

The week prior to Hurricane Michael hitting the Gulf Coast, six of us had a family vacation at Dauphin Island Alabama. We left the day before Michael came ashore, and the waves had been rough for the entire week.

My girl's son brought a bottle of his favorite special bourbon. He and the son-in-law drank it all on the first night. I am not a big bourbon drinker so I was not involved, and these two are quite a bit younger (40's) than me.

The bourbon led them to the water from the porch below about midnight with iPhones in their pockets. The rest of us had already gone to bed. I found one iPhone in a trash can the next morning. Both iPhones destroyed. Their spouses were pretty mad.

I am good at teasing people so I would like to buy each of the guys one of these shirts for historical purposes.

Harry

yzjm1stjzu9h.jpg
    5ovrdimc38jy.jpg

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited January 2020
    try out Chad &Sara's website for shirts and other stuff and watch a few of their bourbon shows :)
    https://www.whiskeyambitions.com/collections/all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7schp-lefg

Barrel Bourbons Batch #21 got a 94 from Whiskey Advocate and the Batch #22 got a 92 rating from someone else list. I bought both of them and me & my Sister compared them side by side and Both felt the Batch 22 was better :) but both of these batches are very special!

https://www.barrellbourbon.com/bourbon

Post edited by voltz on
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Weller 12 tonight.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Wild turkey 101 makes a great Kentucky mule fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    And it probably hits the spot tonight. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Yes it did, a little too much I think...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Tried some Buffalo Trace last night for the 1st time. This has to be in the top 3 of budget bourbons!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Grabbed a Kentucky Owl and Laphroaig PX while on vacation last week.

Drinking a Rowans Creek right now, good stuff.
  • tratliff
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Grabbed a Kentucky Owl and Laphroaig PX while on vacation last week.

Drinking a Rowans Creek right now, good stuff.

Great pick up on the Kentucky Owl. It’s a great pour.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2020
    Tom,
    Any idea where this shirt can be purchased?
    I sent someone here a link on where to buy the day I posted it but for me, that link is long gone. Sorry man. I would suggest typing in the words of the shirt and trying to find it that way.

[EDIT:] Here ya' go...https://www.ebay.com/i/202880637130?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=2&asc=20160908110712&meid=568a941192d44dcbae49f96b3dcc066d&pid=100677&rk=10&rkt=30&mehot=none&sd=392628056624&itm=202880637130&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2386202

Went to go get Knob's Creek 12 two days ago and the store 'round here had never even heard of it. The search continues...

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    Picked up some 1792. Enjoying it.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • tratliff
    Decided I needed a quality beverage after the events of the last 24 hours.

It’s a 17 year Wild Turkey Masters Keep. Only 86 proof but drinks a bit stronger. A nice drink.

zlu62c2mq8wn.jpeg

• engtaz
    Picked Up Walking Stick today, but haven't tried it yet. Will post when I do.
    engtaz

• engtaz
    OK tried It a like it a lot. Very smooth and great flavor. It's a must try.
    engtaz

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I have to be in Louisville, KY next week. Staying at The Brown Hotel. They usually have new/interesting stuff. If I find anything new that's worthwhile, I'll share.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • engtaz
    Thanks
    engtaz

• muncybob
    Go to 500 E Main St and pick up one of their cellar releases of Angels Envy...better have plenty of $$ though :(
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • engtaz
    I lucked out and got a bottle of Blantons
    engtaz

• Jstas
    muncybob wrote: »
    Go to 500 E Main St and pick up one of their cellar releases of Angels Envy...better have plenty of $$ though :(

Yeah, I know where it's at and I've tried to get there but they have odd hours and I haven't been able to get out of work early enough to get there before they closed. One day I will. There's a couple other places I want to hit as well. But usually, I can get a vendor to make a visit too and they will cover a fancy dinner at some place nice that will have pretty unique stuff like an Angel's Envy Cellar Release.

• engtaz
    I had a great time at the Beer, Bourbon, & BBQ event. I was pleasantly surprised by a few very smooth bourbons. Koval Yellow/green label, Catoctin Creek blue label rye, & Coopers' Craft blue label.
    engtaz

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    I recently ran across a ralfydotcom whisky review on YouTube where he is recommending a 50/50 blending of two of my favorite whiskys - Rittenhouse Rye and Eagle Rare, saying that it rivals older versions of Pappy Van Winkle. Anyone tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QSekdqQZFE

Pappy Van Winkle is good stuff, it's just too expensive and almost impossible to find.

I tried Ralfy's Poor Man's Pappy and really liked it. Yesterday, I came across this video by a couple, whose videos I've enjoyed, blind tasting Pappy15 vs Weller blend Poor Man's Pappy. Thought some folks here might enjoy It's Bourbon Night vids too.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuaWfZ9zdiH_io26xWbsprg
    https://youtu.be/phHRIWQAmU4
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Jstas
    So I ended up being sick for most of the trip and didn't feel like drinking most of the week. I was feeling better Thursday and wanted to at least grab a fancy one I hadn't had. I try to this at least once a trip.

Anyhoo, this one from Bardstown Bourbon Company called The Prisoner. It was finished in French Oak red wine barrels. No specific red wine so they were likely barrels that had been through a couple aging cycles on different types of red wines.

So you would think it would be fruity and smell and taste of wine but, it didn't. Like not at all. There was that earthy oak thing that you get from wine barrels but that was it. Not much of that sweet, vanilla tannin profile that you get from fresh white oak barrels. It was a bit boozy which sounds dumb since it's booze. To put it in a different perspective, it had a strong, astringent alcohol burn that you get with younger aged spirits that haven't had all the aromatics and volatiles filtered out by the aging process evaporation or the barrel filtering. It wasn't harsh, though. And the booziness was likely an aspect of the wine barrel, not the quality of the liquor. It had an incredible color and was smooth as it gets for such a "young" spirit. Wasn't cheap but was worth the try. A full bottle is a couple hundred bucks, at least.

9xow07we3iel.jpg

• engtaz
    Cant find wellers
    engtaz

• tratliff
    engtaz wrote: »
    Cant find wellers

Nope
  • muncybob
    Was that Bardstown high proof? Liking the color.
  • tratliff
    muncybob wrote: »
    Was that Bardstown high proof? Liking the color.

Looks to be 100 proof. I’m betting it was good.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2020
    I should have gotten a shot of the side of the bottle. It had a bottle number and a proof number hand written. IIRC, it was something odd like 105 proof.

And yeah, the color was a deep mahogany. Like one of Jesse's "mahageny pipes".