Testing your rig....are you up to the task?

That's right. I said it. You up to the task?

cdk6g5zpc610.png

All kidding aside...

There are some newer members here at Club Polk who may have never heard of this disc before. Some of you may even have it but have not listened to it in quite some time.

I'm not going to go into detail on the aspects of part one of this disc. I'm quite sure it has some really nice recorded music. What this post about is part two of this disc.

Particularly the LEDR test and the depth, height and L/R test.

For those who don't know or are unaware, the LEDR test is freakin' awesome. This test was designed to help anyone help locate reflecting surfaces in the listening room that degrade a stereo image.

One test has an image that is right in between both speakers that starts IIRC at the mid part of the speaker and goes up. Straight up to (if dialed in right) can go beyond the height of an 8'tall ceiling. Another test goes in a half moon shape from one speaker to the other. If any part of the half moon imaging is compromised? Fix it until it works. The arch should be smooth, unbroken and symmetrical.

The depth test is (to me) absolutely kickin'. IIRC, it goes back about 8-12 feet and if you r are dialed in? The image goes WAY back beyond where your mains are. Even if there is a wall directly behind your mains.

There are more tests that cover the basics but if you don't know about this and are interested? The CD runs about 30 bucks at the moment. IMO/IME, this is a great way to learn (or re-learn) where you should be at or where you need to be at with regards to getting the absolute best from your rig with spot on imaging.

Regards,

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Does it work with SDA?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Yes, it works with SDA.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    I can't find it on TIDAL or Qobuz :D
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I can't find it on TIDAL or Qobuz :D
    If I recall correctly, Chesky has some sort of agreement or affiliation with HDtracks, and as a results you won't find his work on Tidal or Qobuz.

But a lot of it is on Spotify, and still generally impressive in 320.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • treitz3
    Hey guys, for those who prefer to download/stream their stuff....apparently you can order it directly from Chesky via this link for an uncertain amount over $12 bucks >>> https://cheskyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/chesky-records-jazz-sampler-audiophile-test-vol-1

Jump to 10 to start the tests. The LEDR should be 11 and depth, 12. FWIW.

Tom
  • treitz3
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2818064?ev=rb

There is a hard copy at Discogs right now in VG+ condition for $18, shipped to your door as well...

Tom
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    While we're talking Chesky, another test CD is "Stereo Review: Gold Stereo and Surround Set Up"

I'm a big fan of this track:
    https://open.spotify.com/track/2H750SDZWJfai6XOzCEoHn?si=KevHC5cQRsmePdN57TQpeA

Really showcases the 3D effect that stereo can create. Even on Spotify it's impressive.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for the references.
    A guy from Raleigh brought a Chesky test disc to play when he bought a few things from me YEARS ago. He left it here which he planned to do. I used it often.

Looking online I just found this link to a testing compilation. Test your bass and high hearing here. The Xylophone sounds good too.
    enjoy B)

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/7073
    du9az5ld5khn.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I always try to knee my speakers when testing them
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I have the "ultimate demonstration disc" from Chesky - but not this one Tom

I will download the HDtracks version of this one and report back here my findings when able.
  • treitz3
    edited January 2020
    I have that one too but it doesn't have the LEDR/depth/height/L&R test. This is what is key. I must have about 12-14 "test CD's" but this is the only one with the LEDR.

I'll tell you a key thing that I learned many years ago about this test that was very interesting. I'll save that for later...

Great link, rooftop59! Thanks.

Tomo
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Willow wrote: »
    I always try to knee my speakers when testing them

She could knee my speakers anytime...
    umm, wait -- did I say that?
    No...
    I mean...

umm...
  • joecoulson
    Could someone upload the liner notes from the physical media please?
  • This is a fun site with similar tests - even some blind tests you can try!

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks Tom for posting that album. Never even heard of it, let alone heard it. I'll look for it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • joecoulson
    Anyone?....Bueller?
  • Tony M
    marvda1 wrote: »

The disc the guy brought with him and gave me had That Rebecca Pigeon's Spanish Harlem on it too. Man does it sound great on the Polk SDA-SRS2s. I think my main set-up passed. I feel it could sound better but that's by replacing interconnects. Someday... ;)
  • treitz3
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Anyone?....Bueller?

Yeah, yeah, yeah....hold your horses there big guy. Some of actually work for a living. o:)

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited January 2020
    Here ya' go Joe.

sjre0pmpc1yv.jpg

2le7wyhp7pt0.jpg

z0bsv1ss2e2v.jpg

qpwcsgxpejx4.jpg

Marvin, that is the very exact CD that I first heard in Charlotte that introduced me at the time to this thing called "SACD".

I went to one of the local shops and they had a set of Focal floor standers in one of their rooms with the new at the time beryllium tweeter. I hopped on up there and IIRC didn't bring any CD's with me, so I asked them if they had anything worthy of a decent recording. They ended up slapping in an album that I did not have a chance to ask who it was.

I ended up listening to Rebecca Pidgeon playing the first song on that album, the song most of probably know by now, "Spanish Harlem". While I wasn't too impressed with the tweeter or the speakers, that song.....man, that song was one of the best recordings I had ever heard in my life. I NEEDED that song in my collection, even if the rest of the album was pure crap. I simply had to have it, no questions or reservations.

So, after listening to that song a couple of times and then moving on to others that were more in the genre of rock, I asked them who that was and if I could get a copy for myself. Well, they told me that I could buy it online and they told me what the album was. "The World's Greatest Audiophile Recordings".

Okay, cool!

So I went home and tried to find it....but all they had was this thing called an "SACD". I thought to myself, "What in the hell is an SACD"? So, I popped onto what I believe was this forum and asked if I could play an SACD on my Jolida. Well, I was schooled very quickly on what an SACD was and that I needed an SACD player in order to play it on my rig. So, I ordered the CD and went out to buy an SACD Player.....all for one song.

Boy, was I wrong. While it was worth it for that one song just to hear that in my rig (to me), as we all know, SACD offers so much more and I have been in love ever since. That ONE album started my journey into "Audiophile" recordings and all sorts of different formats. I owe it all to listening to that one song off that album and I still listen to it about 20 times a year on average. Killer song, recording and format.

Thank you, Rebecca!!!

Tom

• mhardy6647
    treitz3 wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Anyone?....Bueller?

Yeah, yeah, yeah....hold your horses there big guy. Some of actually work for a living. o:)

Tom
    [emphasis added]

heh, heh, heh...
    B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    SACD sucks...It's all about the 8 track
    Get with the program Tom

• mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Get with the program Tom

I suddenly feel so au courant.

12180944206_b02b0b171d_c.jpg8trackin by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

B)

(and Chicago X -- I mean, how hip is that?)

• joecoulson
    Tom. Thank You brother.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    This was always a favorite of mine

fmdvu09vom9w.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tony M
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Get with the program Tom

I suddenly feel so au courant.

12180944206_b02b0b171d_c.jpg8trackin by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

B)

(and Chicago X -- I mean, how hip is that?)

It's GREAT to still be living and remember when 8-Track was the NEW Tech.. ;)
  • treitz3
    So, has anyone tried this in their rig yet?

Trey, as you now....that's the exact album I was talking about.

Tom
  • joecoulson
    Didnt get time yet. Will sometime this weekend.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Tom,
    ran through several of the tests. One thing I noticed is my left channel doesn't travel as wide. Wondering if that's my room acoustics... The Bass tests were cool! 20 hz got the fish in my fish tank excited!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus