Testing your rig....are you up to the task?

Options
2»

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I couldn't believe I can still hear 25hz. :)

I think hearing 10khz+ is ok for me too. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    LOL I know! I did the frequency sweep from 20k on down and I didn't hear crap until about 13k
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    13k isn't too shabby! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,327
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    This was always a favorite of mine

fmdvu09vom9w.jpg

The Livingston Taylor track on that disc is outstanding.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    *clears throat*

Has anyone here ran this test on their rig yet? If so, what were your results?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    I ordered the CD from Discogs yesterday.

Now I have to determine if my ears are capable of detecting the results. I know I have some loss of hearing and tininess for several years.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • treitz3
    Options
    Nordost has come out with the LEDR test as well. Many of you may have seen an email or FB notification about it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    Also, just heard of another one that I have ordered.

https://www.musicdirect.com/best-budget-tweaks-under-99/IsoTek---Ultimate-System-Set-Up-Disc-CD
    So you might ask why is this one different? It has a person talking and a castanet (wood block). (There is a description of what you should hear but no instruction on how the speakers should be moved to achieve the desired result.) It starts out with the standard stuff left/right and phase. Then it moved to lateral spacing with the person/block being center, 1/2 distance to speaker, in the speaker and outside speaker. It has 33 castanet clicks as it moves across from left to right. That's all great but nothing you really can't get form the lateral LEDR test. It is the next set of tracks that really help you judge your setup. These tracks are for depth of image. For example on one of them the speaker and the castanet are on opposite sides of a room and walk in a circle while the person speaks and the castanet clicks. There is also one where the castanet alternates between left and right as it moves from the rear of the soundstage to the front.

Last weekend I helped the person who bought my Vivid G1's finish his speaker setup. So I pulled out this disc to see if it offered any additional insight. Well, on the track where the castanet is alternating left/right with moving forward it was obvious that the timbre was different from left to right and the depth of image was also different. This person's room is not symmetric and the speakers are shifted to the left of center. He had the sidewall absorbers symmetric. We moved the right absorber about 6" and viola the timbre of the castanet and imaging of the two speakers were spot on.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    IsoTek disc has hit. I'll post observations later this weekend hopefully.

Has no one tried any of these test discs yet on their system? They can be enlightening...

Joe?

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    UPDATE: After working in the garden yesterday, my body told me I needed a break. What better way than to relax and listen to the rig. Well, I have had a stack of CD's sitting in my playlist that I have not listened to yet.

One of these was the IsoTek Test Disc. I was very impressed at how my system handled the test and it passed with absolute flying colors. The test is pretty cool, especially Depth test 3.

The guy stands in the middle of a medium sized room and as he is talking, giving you a sense of the middle of the room, the castanet walks around him in a 360 circle. It was so cool to "see" the image of both and their exact placement as he walked around the room. There was no guessing where he was, you could easily pinpoint where both were in the room. From a couple of meters back behind the loudspeakers to basically 3 feet in front of you in a 360 degree circle.

That was cool as hell.

The songs on the other hand were decently recorded (I have heard better). I wouldn't buy this disc because of those (Although I did enjoy the Omnibus Wind Ensemble - #19 on the test disc), as they seemed to have been an afterthought, to me.

With that said, I did see that they had yet another version of Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D minor. While not the best recording I have to date with this one, the sense of space when it comes to the size of the venue where it was recorded at was immensely satisfying. I was easily able to reproduce a huge organ and the venue it was in....in my listening area 1/100th the size.

Tom