I just pulled the trigger on a new tüübed pre....this one should be pretty sweet!

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    VR3 wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen

5eq7236fnzm2.png

They are much bigger than I thought. And heavier as well. Just the PS is 39 pounds. The pre is 34 lbs. Both are in absolutely mint condition. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that they are brand new.

The seller stated, and I quote, "You will be surprised of how "NEW" it is". Well I read that and I took that with a grain of salt. Truth be told, I actually was surprised at how new it is. Not even so much as a fingerprint or a speck of dust on her or in her. Both units.

The remote reminds me of the Jolida JD-100 remote. It's a little bit lighter but built just as tough. Its only functions are inputs, volume up and down as well as mute. Very comfortable in the hand and easily controlled in a no light situation.

I have some work to do while I wait for the next series of *possible* lightning storms to pass, then I can hook her up and let her start singing. These electrical storms flippin' stink down here. Last night in my area was non-stop until morning.

q86co5zo9wi7.png

I hope this thing has synergy with my rig. We shall see...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Congrats Tom! Glad they arrived in "as described" or better than as described condition. It's always nice when things like that go in your favor. Enjoy!!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited January 2020
    treitz3 wrote: »

5eq7236fnzm2.png

I hope this thing has synergy with my rig. We shall see...

Tom

That pre is so nice, I think I would build a new rig around it if the synergy is lacking. That is a beautiful preamp.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2020
    yes very nice Tom

I went out looking at that manufacture, they have some sweet looking gear!!
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Congrats Tom! Looking forward to your impressions. That pre is gorgeous!!!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Congratulations
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • treitz3
    Well, gentlemen. I have it hooked up. Lookin' good but now I have to diagnose a nasty and rather loud ground hum of the 120Hz style. Time for an adult drink and off to dive in for diagnosis.

Never had a ground hum before in any of the kits I have had over the years, with the exception of the vinyl part of the rig (easy to take care of), so no initial impressions yet. Sorry guys.

I did reconfigure the rig and swapped some stuff around. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out (in theory). More later...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    Look at the connection between the pre and the power supply, and the output tube. Is the noise across both channels or just one?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Both.

Tom
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Are you using a single circuit for pre and amps, or dedicated circuits for each? If the circuits are separate try grounding all the chassis together. If just a single circuit, no ideas.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    Single circuit. Removing the ground plug on the pre didn't work. Ain't this fun?

I turned everything on and will leave it this way for about 10 minutes, hum going. Gonna take a break and come back in and see if it resolves itself. The Canary has been at room temperature for over 24 hours now, FYI. I have no idea when the last time she was cranked up was.

Tom
  • treitz3
    BTW, it does not change when the volume goes up, so (again...in theory), it should be a simple fix. Just got to nail the bastage that is causing it.

Tom
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited January 2020
    Hum with nothing connected? (IC’s XLR’s etc) just power cable?
  • BlueFox
    Now we know why the original owner sold it. :)

Good luck.

Just thinking here, but even with a single circuit try grounding all the chassis together. If it isn’t a hardware problem then it sure seems like a ground loop issue.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Unhook the subs
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Subs not in the equation right now. Input into the pre's disconnected? Same issue.

Tom
  • joecoulson
    Unhook everything and slowly hook each wire up then check so on and so forth.
  • joecoulson
    Reseat the tubes?
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Reseat the tubes?

rectifier tube for sure.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • nooshinjohn
    Deoxit the pins and sockets, then start swapping tubes one by one.

• BlueFox
    Sounds like a few more reasons to not use 19th century technology in audio gear. Good luck.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    Whoa, slow down guys. It's just a small issue I need to diagnose. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

I think I will take a step back for tonight and sleep on what I have done. Wake up and think about a methodical approach to chasing this noise problem. If the noise does not change with the volume or input selection (even disconnected of the pre)? Then the suspect is most likely not the pre. It has to be (logically) down stream.

With that said, the only thing new introduced into the system was the pre....so, logic dictates otherwise.

Looks like I have my work cut out for me and this wasn't as "simple" as I thought it would be. I was honestly expecting to be back up and running in 15 minutes or less.

Who knows? The Canary might have an issue with going through the Richard Grey Power Supply. Besides going into the unit (Canary) itself....that's my last culprit. I have already moved it away from the rest of the gear.

Ain't this fun? (Not)

Tom

• treitz3
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Hum with nothing connected? (IC’s XLR’s etc) just power cable?

Yes.

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2020
    treitz3 wrote: »
    BTW, it does not change when the volume goes up, so (again...in theory), it should be a simple fix. Just got to nail the bastage that is causing it.

Tom

EDIT: None of this will probably be news, nor particularly helpful -- but I'll share these thoughts, just in case.

* Start with the simplest, dumbest system configuration to troubleshoot.
    * Run every component direct from a wall outlet for troubleshooting purposes -- skip any fancy-pants power conditoning.
    * Get a bag of clipleads and jumper component grounds together -- component to component -- systematically (EDIT Not helpful advise if the system is humming sans preamp connected).
    * Try a ground lift cheater on the power cord (if it's a three-wire cord).
    * Swap (i.e., try some different) 'interconnects' -- maybe one of them has an 'issue' (loose internal connection) that was exacerbated during the install.

NB Just read the 'without the pre' comment before I posted -- that does sound like an unfortunate, coincidental 'issue' with an interconnect (?). If you have hum even sans interconnects (I assume this would be with just power amp & loudspeakers), and if you can safefly short the amp's inputs (some components don't like that -- I learned this from an unfortunate event I catalyzed for poor ol' @clipdat), try that and see if the noise is related to the inputs or not.

PS and FWIW I am empathetic -- chasin' a noisy active preamp issue here myself albeit very slowly.

49363581777_4aacf41927_b.jpgDSC_8089 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • nooshinjohn
    Where do you stand on this now Tom?

• treitz3
    Hi, John. Thanks for asking. I spoke with John at Canary Audio multiple times today. I have a couple of more things to check but it looks like she's headed back to Canary at this point. We have determined that it is not an impedance mismatch issue and apparently it wasn't as simple as I thought.

I dumbed the system down to literally this - Pre>amp>speakers. The pre was on a PC with the ground pin removed and both the amp and the pre were on the same outlet, both plugged directly into said outlet. No IC's from any other component and no other gear used in any shape, form or matter.

Same thing.

I'll take a look inside before I send it off and see if there is anything obvious. Just didn't feel like rushing my day again to find the time to deal with it again, truth be told. I'm not even going to bother with it tonight. Just don't feel like F'n with it right now.

Tom
  • joecoulson
    Thomas so disappointing, very sorry that you’re having to deal with that. Nothing worse than getting in something you have spent a lot of coin on and very excited about only to be let down by an issue like this. Hope you get it fixed soon.

On a sidenote I don’t think I’m going to be able to make it this time around as I have to rush back home to go out of town with the wife. But I will tell you that I’m going to be up here very frequently with what we have planned for this market so there will be plenty of times in the next coming months for us to get together
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Yep.... Less than a week..
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    @treitz3 did you try removing and re-seating the tubes or different rectifier tube(s)?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I don’t know whatcha got on the digital side of things. This will fit in nicely . . .

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9e9fb-canary-audio-kd-2000-tube-dac-brings-analog-heaven-to-digital-da-converters
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12