polkL800 Audiogon $ 4500 Black ,new in box,never opened

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited January 2020
    Still up for sale. 1058 veiws (3 by verb) :smile:
    dtegtmwjigq1.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Can't beleive they are still for sale!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    People are waiting for the Adorama deals....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    It’s a big discount off of a new pair but $4500 is still a nice chunk of change to most people
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    It’s a big discount off of a new pair but $4500 is still a nice chunk of change to most people
    Plus it's not like it's the only solid option in that price point. I see the Devore O/93 listed around that same price point pretty regularly. I'm sure there are loads of other options as well.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Well, we know the background of these speakers. If I were looking for a pair on the 'Gon and saw a brand new, unboxed, zero seller at substantially less $$$ than retail?

I'd walk away and never look back. These are the typical types of yellow flags/red flags folks tend to turn away from based on personal and empirical evidence of things that typically go bad.

Mike even commented (with good reason) that they were HOT. It's not like that wasn't the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the ad....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I thought there was some confirmation that these were the pair given away at some event in PA, no?
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I thought there was some confirmation that these were the pair given away at some event in PA, no?

I think the point Tom is conveying is that, the members of the Forum know their history, and why they are for sale.

The prospective buyers that are not Forum members and don't know the history, would be sceptical to say the least.

• treitz3
    You would be correct. Thanks for clarifying, Mike.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I'd rather buy a new pair with warranty.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Polk shouuld consider not discounting the L800 much st all. Keep it a unicorn because of how special the design is. Discount the crap out of the rest of the line!

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Emlyn wrote: »

Why would you not have a warranty?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Polk should consider not discounting the L800 much st all. Keep it a unicorn because of how special the design is. Discount the crap out of the rest of the line!

I'd suspect something like that would be their default strategy.
    Presumably, they (Polk/their corporate owners) will control inventory to the extent that, even if sales of the L800, in the worst-case scenario, would turn out (heaven forfend!) to be very slow with respect to their projections -- they could orchestrate the supply so that they wouldn't have a large surplus of unsold L800s to fire-sale.

They could probably take their chances with the rest of the line.

I will say, not entirely facetiously, that if they ever fire-sale the L200, I'd be quite interested. :)
  • displayname
    edited January 2020
    Polk shouuld consider not discounting the L800 much st all. Keep it a unicorn because of how special the design is. Discount the crap out of the rest of the line!
    Given Polk's ownership, I don't think the discount decision will come down to the design. They are owned by a holding company, who's sole mission is to create profits. If the L800 meets or exceeds sales goals, they won't discount it. But given the way of the world, if sales go up, sales goals go up. And once they miss the mark for a few consecutive quarters they look at a couple things. Discount and product life cycle. If the L800 misses sales targets before a replacement line is ready for production and release... we'll see discounts. Big companies live in a vicious cycle to some extent.
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    Given Polk's ownership, I don't think the discount decision will come down to the design. They are owned by a holding company, who's sole mission is to create profits. If the L800 meets or exceeds sales goals, they won't discount it. But given the way of the world, if sales go up, sales goals go up. And once they miss the mark for a few consecutive quarters they look at a couple things. Discount and product life cycle. If the L800 misses sales targets before a replacement line is ready for production and release... we'll see discounts. Big companies live in a vicious cycle to some extent.

Hey, you all know what a cockeyed optimist I am!

:#

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Don't I know it! :smile: Premium brands or products are seldom discounted, IMO. If that is their strategy, to maintain the price point for the flagship. We'll see if sales don't meet expectations, gotta keep the assembly plant open, etc., there may be a discount. Ya never know.

Does anyone know how the sales are going?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »

Why would you not have a warranty?

Polk's five year speaker warranty ends on transfer to a second owner. Old Polk may have honored warranty repairs for a second owner of a dealer sourced pair anyway, but I doubt the new corporate mentality would go beyond the specific warranty wording requirements.

• treitz3
    Emlyn, not only that, Polk has always required a receipt of proof of purchase. Well, the current owner didn't purchase them, so they may not have the receipt. No receipt? No warranty.

Tom
  • displayname
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Upscale audio is now selling them too. Kevin loves them.

https://youtu.be/sNzgAnRFI10

Kevin also points out regularly that "you'll never read a bad review."
    Discogs
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Kevin is a piece of work. Just a heads up.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    la2vegas wrote: »
    tratliff wrote: »

Is "work" the word you wanted to use?

No! Just being nice.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited January 2020

Is "work" the word you wanted to use?

No! Just being nice.

Point made.

We use the same word when we think about you... :p

Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

I wouldn't want to.....deal with him.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited January 2020
    If anyone ever has any issues with a purchase from Upscale Audio, ask for Tamara. She's customer service at its best.
  • mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »

https://youtu.be/sNzgAnRFI10

I think it's a good thing for Polk that Upscale is selling them. Say what you want about Mr. Deal, but he doesn't sell gear he doesn't believe in.

FWIW, I would agree. It shouldn't be a bad thing for Polk to be associated with him/them.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    There's one thing for sure, Uncle Kevie is passonate about his wares. I kinda enjoy watching his videos, just for entertainment value :D