Protecting speakers from cats

2»

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    marvda1 wrote: »
    get a gal milk jug, put some pennies in it and when the cat even goes near the speakers shake the jug and scare the h3ll out of it :D

I have found that spraying vinegar works well.

Our cat went after one of our Lsi15 grills, ruined it and we ended up redoing BOTH...lol
  • K_M
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Is de-clawing said cat(s) not an option? Too cruel???

A whole bottle of worms....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    K_M wrote: »

Really? This forum need a "disagree" button. I don't think spraying a terrible smelling acid around your house is the answer.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    audioluvr wrote: »

Really? This forum need a "disagree" button. I don't think spraying a terrible smelling acid around your house is the answer.

It'd definitely keep me away!

When we had cats, I found the best deterrent was my parents bed. How so? They were too busy peeing on it all the time to even think about speaker grills.

Yeah, we didn't have cats very long... ;):p

In (some form of) seriousness, I think the myth busters tested a bunch of deterrents for different animals, cats included. I don't remember what worked or not though. Probably could find it on Hulu. :)
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    edited December 2019
    No problem with speakers but peeing in other areas.

Solution #1 a combination of lavender, eucalyptus and peppermint oils with water in a spray bottle then just spray the area you want them to keep off. Cats will like any acidic aroma as it will resemble their pee.

#2 This one works great to keep him of the couch at night.

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Deterrent-Activated-Repellent-Environmentally/dp/B0721735K9/ref=asc_df_B0721735K9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198073792559&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13235832108938350454&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032029&hvtargid=pla-377471900634&psc=1

And the perpetrator Mr. Gucci:
    5blpxznjzi65.jpg

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Mine are protected by a fierce LEGO dragon!
    d6mx57qm8xds.jpeg
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Rubber band gun or a squirt gun
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited December 2019
    On my sda 1c’s my wife’s Siamese catz decided they liked to claw the area of the grill that had the lower horizontal crossmember - they are declawed but it was still going to cause damage eventually after repeated “clawing” ...

I took some 2” packing tape and applied one strip sticky side out to the problem area ...almost invisible....
    Catz don’t like the stickyness on their feet .
    They haven’t gone near the speakers since ...

Problem solved !

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • never bring home anything you can’t eat or plant anything you can’t eat.
  • K_M

Spraying it in diluted form, with water, at the cat, to train her what not to do.

It worked for us. After only several times, she lost her bad habit.
    Not dangerous at all, just annoys them getting wet.
  • K_M wrote: »

Spraying it in diluted form, with water, at the cat, to train her what not to do.

Your spot on, my brother would have this spray bottle worked great. He had 5 cats Big Fat Cats lol you know them Tom Cats get big. lol
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420

I would agree using a squirt bottle with water in it would work effectively. That's a common training aid to teach them right from wrong.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    edited December 2019
    Merry Xmas and thanks for the tips, I’m picking up this guy tomorrow. Wish me luck
    86qdouulnguc.jpeg
  • I think these would make it hard for kitty to jump.

yw1f8a0vwijs.jpg
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    Give the kids a Rottweiler, that will solve the cat concerns..
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    Clipdat wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Is de-clawing said cat(s) not an option? Too cruel???

It's incredibly inhumane.

A lot more humane than making a Cat skin hat! Just saying!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • I've always taught my cats to only scratch on their scratch board.
    You do this by showing them how to use it, praising them everytime they do and yelling at them when they use anything else.
    My current cat will not scratch anywhere but her pad and I still tell her she's a good cat whenever she uses it. (she's 15 now)
  • Muchieman
    Muchieman Posts: 204
    edited January 2020
    Give the kids a Rottweiler, that will solve the cat concerns..
    Don’t they Eat Cats in China? From what i’ve read they say they taste like chicken. 😁 1st off I wouldn’t have a animal in my home for those very reasons. They take over your home, Stink it up, 🤭they got their owners Picking up the crap for them or taking out a stinky S box. 🤧2nd the cost, 🤑sure cats are cool dogs to they have a very nice Coat outside they go! 😁
  • To each their own.
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Give them better things to scratch. 3 cats, in 10 years I've lost one driver surround to a kitty, a woofer on an RT800i. Just one tiny claw puncture and tiny scratch...I think they were chasing a bug. Partially my fault for leaving the grills off...which they've also never attacked. Same for the couches, anytime we caught them, shoo them off then put one of several small scratching posts in that spot. Next time they want to scratch the couch they have much more appealing sisal rope. No problems since. Awesome cat towers help too.

9aqvkskymb5f.jpg
    g2cld2621tu5.jpg
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• yetti
    yetti Posts: 1
    TennMan wrote: »
    A friend of mine made some nice cages that surround his SRS speakers to keep the cats off them. They seem to work really well. :smiley:

a06dvj1t696w.jpg

Does your friend have diy instructions for these cages?