Protecting speakers from cats

Hi all, just a a small kitty as a present to my kids. I do like cats but I am predicting that it will go after my floor-standing speaker grilles and claw it at some point.

I just wondering if any of you could share your experience and have a good recipe to deter them, any answers or tips will be appreciated beyond the obvious shock the cat or get rid of it, etc...

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have four cats, and they don’t bother the speakers. Other than screaming at them if they appeared to be looking at the speakers I didn’t do anything.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    edited December 2019
    We've had a constant succession of cats, and none of them seemed to be interested in the speakers either. We did have one cat, however, that would sit in front of them when music was playing and rock gently from side to side !

EDIT: But beware of keyboards

3zs9ngb756oi.jpg
    Post edited by OleBoot on
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have four cats, and they don’t bother the speakers. Other than screaming at them if they appeared to be looking at the speakers I didn’t do anything.

I can relate to that with Hazel... :D
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I have had issues with the 2 cats here. One toppled a bookshelf speaker and I had to replace a dimpled tweeter. Another jumped to the top of 2 different floorstanding speakers, didn't quite make it all the way to the top, and dug their back claws into the drivers for purchase, ruining 2 midrange drivers on each respective speaker.

The easiest fix was to figure out why the cats were jumping up there in the first place which was to get to the top of a bookshelf next to the speakers (some cats like to be high up!). Moving the speakers away from the bookshelves helped but I also got some scratching posts on the floor right in front of the speakers to keep them, and their claws, grounded. The scratching posts on the floor did the trick for me.
    shl5yyzlr1in.png
    https://chewy.com/smartcat-bootsies-combination/dp/49130
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    We’ve been similarly lucky. Our current cat is too old to bother, but over time, none of the four cats we owned (and one guest cat) went after my Magnepans. The guest did tear up my DIY sound absorbing panels.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    If they show an interest in the speakers, just put one of these next to the speakers and they will use it instead: https://www.amazon.com/4CLAWS-Wall-Mounted-Scratching-White/dp/B015Y4HVTO/

Worked for me when my cat scratched on my vinyl collection a few times. Put this next to it and now he always uses this.

71PAQeFuY4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • halo
    Clipdat wrote: »
    If they show an interest in the speakers, just put one of these next to the speakers and they will use it instead: https://www.amazon.com/4CLAWS-Wall-Mounted-Scratching-White/dp/B015Y4HVTO/

Worked for me when my cat scratched on my vinyl collection a few times. Put this next to it and now he always uses this.

71PAQeFuY4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Agreed! The scratching post that I linked to above can also be mounted on the wall :)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I had to put double thick cardboard sheets that covered the front of my sda1 signature with velcro that went all the way around to attached to the back of the speaker.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I love cats, grew up with them, but the Mrs is kinda allergic to em. Problem solved.

Now I did catch Walter mark his territory on some floor standers at the old house, but that would be a different thread. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    get a gal milk jug, put some pennies in it and when the cat even goes near the speakers shake the jug and scare the h3ll out of it :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    marvda1 wrote: »
    get a gal milk jug, put some pennies in it and when the cat even goes near the speakers shake the jug and scare the h3ll out of it :D

If you never leave the house Marvin that may work..... or a red rider
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Get a recording of dogs barking, introduce your new cat to the speakers, then crank it up while they are sniffing them. You shouldn't have a problem after that.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    When we had Buddy Fat Cat he got close to the grills one day. I took it off & chased him with it. Then, if he entered the room & even looked at the speakers I would point at the grills & he would haul a$$. Never a issue after that. He would sit there & listen to music for hours. Buddy is sadly missed RIP
    Randy/Maine
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Post signs on the grilles that say the Latin equivalent of "Keepa You Hands Off!".
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I have 4 cats that rarely bother my speakers. However, I do use either a cat deterrent spray on the carpet around the speakers and dried rosemary wrapped in a thin cloth or tissue and placed behind the grill. I used the dried rosemary because I didn't want to spray anything on the grills that might discolor or stain.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Bookies on stands plus something on top of them to deter the cat from jumping up. Currently using 703's with a pair of stuffed teddy bears perched on top. Seems to be working. My 705s haven't seen the light of day in almost a year. :'(
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    skrol wrote: »
    ... However, I do use either a cat deterrent spray on the carpet around the speakers...

Link? I've heard of home remedies using vinegar, but I really don't want the place to smell like it.
  • Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • halo
    marvda1 wrote: »

I think that's more of tactic for dogs
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    So the best bet is to fill your house with scratching posts. They are fairly cheap and easy to replace. Other than that, cats hate sticky things. What I do every now and then is get some clear packing tape and roll it so all edges are sticky. Then I place a few strips around where the cats would normally scratch or try to mark the territory by drooling all over it giving it 'bumps'. Then they hit that sticky piece they avoid it and after a while it gets programmed in their brains to avoid it.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Is de-clawing said cat(s) not an option? Too cruel???
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Is de-clawing said cat(s) not an option? Too cruel???

It's incredibly inhumane.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes. I composed a rant reply to the de-claw comment, but deleted it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • I put upside down car floor mats around the speakers
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    The problem I had was a cat peeing on a subwoofer, amplifier and other equipment. A pet shock pad (seemed to solve the problem at the subwoofer and now all my equipment is inside a closed cabinet. I have also had a dog scratch the driver on my center channel speaker as he goes crazy when a dog or other animal appear on the screen. Now days I use a grill as they are replaceable.

Pet shock pad I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTNRPD9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • Clipdat
    shs wrote: »

Maybe something like this might work for @afterburnt's wife? Good Christmas gift idea here.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Some might argue that keeping cats (only) inside is inhumane.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    3m96os344dwr.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Oops! Posted in the wrong section.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus