Figuring out a new camera

Here's some recent photos I took with a new camera. Enjoy.nc9qrwx9tc4v.jpg
im546tyu5dxp.jpg

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Looks like you've got it figured out to me.

B)

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Nice shallow depth of field - what are you shooting? DSLR?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Yes, I've actually had the lens for several years, Nikon AF Micro 60mm 2.8 and used it on a Nikon FM3A and wanted to try a digital body. I narrowed the choices down to the D7500 and D750 from Nikon and settled on the D750. I've used my wife's Nikon Coolpix and had a basic idea of how they work. Lots more to learn.
  • mhardy6647
    That's a nice lens -- probably the single lens my son (who, as you may recall, has a thing for optics akin to my thing for hifi junk) uses the most doing digital photography. I -- ahem -- think it's the same lens, at any rate. Certainly a close relative. :|

Whoops, not the selfsame... close, though :p

https://icouldbeahero.blogspot.com/2018/01/nikon-af-s-micro-nikkor-60mm-f28-g-ed.html

4lkyixfyurdo.png

Tonnes of fun to be had with a DSLR -- even though they seem to be dying out as a popular camera design.
  • daddyjt
    Yes, I've actually had the lens for several years, Nikon AF Micro 60mm 2.8 and used it on a Nikon FM3A and wanted to try a digital body. I narrowed the choices down to the D7500 and D750 from Nikon and settled on the D750. I've used my wife's Nikon Coolpix and had a basic idea of how they work. Lots more to learn.

Nice indeed. I’m a Canon guy myself, and my “indoor people” lens is the 50mm F1.4. Too many people avoid the fixed focal length lenses, IMO. As the old saying goes, zoom with your feet....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I have a D300 and have my eye on the D750 as a full frame upgrade. Very nice camera. Recently I picked up an old Nikon FE in very nice shape. It just needed new seals. I found that going back to film and the simplicity of the nearly all manual camera very refreshing. But the digital is still fantastic.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I had that lens years ago. Nice glass.

My fav lens from Nikon was the 85 f1.4
    Stunning glass.

These days I just have the one full range 18-300 Nikkor. Left the pro stuff in my rear view when I stopped using it for work.

Still prefer the brand over Canon but all things being equal, they really are neck and neck.
  • joecoulson
    Btw, nice pics Ken.
  • daddyjt
    joecoulson wrote: »
    ...Still prefer the brand over Canon but all things being equal, they really are neck and neck.

One of the first things my mentor told me when I started - pick between Canon and Nikon. He said there was no real downside to either, but Nikon tended to enjoy more popularity with photographers that shoot people, and Canon was more popular with landscape photographers. I went Canon because that’s what he shot, and I’ve never had a regret.

One thing is for sure, once you choose, it’s really expensive to change down the road...;-)

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• joecoulson
    edited December 2019
    That’s for sure. I actually started my career on Canon and then switched. That was pricey, even for a budding amateur in the early 90’s.
    But when Nikon came out the the N8008, I just had to switch camps.
  • A long time ago I used to sell camera equipment as well as stereo gear. The store carried everything from Lica to Polaroid, including Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta and even the Minox B spy cameras. There was one salesman named Joe who was always the top salesman with a big customer base. He would demonstrate the durability of Nikon's lens coating by putting out a lit cigarette on the front of a Nikon 50mm lens. At that time I used a Pentax Spotmatic that I brought back from overseas and was partial to that line. Just to challenge Joe I would try and sell as much Cannon gear as I could. Maybe I should have taken up smoking?
    I've always noted that the appreciation of good photographic equipment and the enjoyment of good audio gear often go together.
  • joecoulson
    That last statement is the story of my life. It transcends to watches, guns, cars, sports etc. I think that most of us “audiophiles” are into the gear as much as the music.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Does Binford make cameras
    :D:D:D
  • Here's some more shots:7ixlsu7qdsfz.jpg
    3ux8kf95cyn5.jpg
    yqzlknxhd4fe.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    aww, man... I wish Santy Clause would leave a Stellavox under our tree this holiday!

;)
  • joecoulson
    A Leica is still on my bucket list. Just can’t stomach the $10k+ for a setup.
    Of course, I didn’t think I could stomach some of the audio purchases too. Lol.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Those images look spectacular Ken! Congrats on the new camera :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Thanks, Halo! I'm learning more about all the settings and how to get the photos onto my laptop.
    The Stellavox is an amazing machine, everything inside is encapsulated in plug-in modules for easy field servicing. Last year I had to send it away for servicing to Switzerland, it developed a noise in the supply reel. I had replaced the input selector and take up platter years before, but I was out of my depth with this problem. Came back in perfect shape, works like a champ.
  • mhardy6647
    Thanks, Halo! I'm learning more about all the settings and how to get the photos onto my laptop.
    The Stellavox is an amazing machine, everything inside is encapsulated in plug-in modules for easy field servicing. Last year I had to send it away for servicing to Switzerland, it developed a noise in the supply reel. I had replaced the input selector and take up platter years before, but I was out of my depth with this problem. Came back in perfect shape, works like a champ.

Speaking of Stellavoxes: I'm pretty sure I've asked you this before (although I am too lazy to check! :p) -- you, presumably, do know Charles King, don't you? :)

• Yes, in fact I bought my SP7 from him several years ago and I use his excellent 2 track tape list any time I'm thinking about bidding on a tape. He's garnered a great deal of respect for his King/Cello tape playback electronics.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2019
    He's (reasonably) local to us and we see him often at vacuum tube hifi/analog shindigs in Northern New England. He reanimated my half-track, high speed A77 some years back. He is a wonderful fellow -- and I have run into some of his hardware in the field :)

vair0obrfket.jpg
    tr6ak151mv3t.jpg

I hang out with a bad crowd sometimes ;)

• He's a contributor to the "Whats Best Forum" and has modified one of his tape playback units by adding VU meters.
    Just as audiophiles began adding outboard phono preamps to "regular" preamps sometime in the late '70's tape buffs now add outboard tape playback electronics to their favorite tape transports. The numbers of available units are slowly increasing with more designers becoming interested in this area. Another interesting aspect is finding some of the older classic audio gear that had builtin tape head playback circuits. I tried my Fisher 500C with a transport and it sounded great. The playback circuitry for phono stages and tape head is really very similar and usually involves changing the playback EQ parameters.
    It's highly likely that, in the future, high end preamps will begin having RIAA, NAB and IEC playback capability. I've also tried the Knight KP-70 tape playback with fine success (I couldn't stand the original kit builder's horrible soldering so I stripped it back to bare chassis and have yet to put it back together). Anyone who is interested in the mechanical side of audio would find magnetic tape a worthwhile branch of the audio bush.
  • Very nice! Makes me even more embarrassed to post pics using my iPhone. The only camera I own. Someday it would be nice to have something capable of REAL pics.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2019
    yeah... tape... :)

q3dd1s52i89o.jpg

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2019
    ^^^^ ooooooooooooh.

I've got, like, The New Christy Minstrels and Babs Streisand and Ray Conniff on my tape shelves. Stuff like that. ;)