Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• From what I remember, the side "hatches" were intended for storing luggage. I also seem to remember that the car, or some portion of the car, was built by a division of Yamaha. There is a James Bond movie, the one where 007 goes to Japan and fights a sumo wrestler, that has a scene where a beautiful girl picks him up at the airport driving one of those.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    From what I remember, the side "hatches" were intended for storing luggage. I also seem to remember that the car, or some portion of the car, was built by a division of Yamaha. There is a James Bond movie, the one where 007 goes to Japan and fights a sumo wrestler, that has a scene where a beautiful girl picks him up at the airport driving one of those.

good gosh who left the door open? :D

Hey Ken how you doin pal ?
  • I'm doing well, thanks.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Dont forget - you owe us some shots of the setups... :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    From what I remember, the side "hatches" were intended for storing luggage. I also seem to remember that the car, or some portion of the car, was built by a division of Yamaha. There is a James Bond movie, the one where 007 goes to Japan and fights a sumo wrestler, that has a scene where a beautiful girl picks him up at the airport driving one of those.

You Only Live Twice :)

cz5miv1ot7al.png

• mhardy6647
    ^^^ you know... it's not a bad idea...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    hc7d856bqaon.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Had to chuckle a bit when I saw this. :smile:
    2df6y0pi2gs6.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    Had to chuckle a bit when I saw this. :smile:

Well, that explains a whole hell of a lot. :#
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Probably the vibrators part. Get your mind out of the gutter Dave!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2019
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Probably the vibrators part. Get your mind out of the gutter Dave!

exactly! Vibrators were staples of the HV power supplies in the days of vacuum tube car radios!

for example...

12504947603_a359d96172_h.jpgScan_Pic0034 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

This gal* knows which ones she likes best!

edited December 2019
    Thank you Mark! I did a quick internet search last night, and was, ugh, shocked! Needless to say I did not find the image above! :blush:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2019
    Thank you Mark! I did a quick internet search last night, and was, ugh, shocked! Needless to say I did not find the image above! :blush:

Here's some G-rated reading on :blush: vibrators.

https://www.radioremembered.org/vpwrsup.htm
    http://messui.polygonal-moogle.com/valves/VR199905.pdf

The latter article's somewhat more comprehensive & technical (and also Australian), but includes an amusing comment near the beginning about the appropriateness of old time "radiomen" (as they would've been called in those long-ago times) discussing vibrators at work ;)

The vibrator power supply was sort of an early, brute-force inverter (or switch-mode) P/S :) The vibrator is (was) an electromechanical gizmo that essentially chopped up DC to make a dirty AC (or pulsating DC, in the case of a 'synchronous' supply), rich in RFI (just like modern "switchmode" power supplies). That pulsating voltage (ooh, ooh!) could be used to feed a transformer which could be used to convert the low voltage from a car battery (6V in the early days!) to the kind of high voltage (100 to 200 volts, or even more) DC needed to efficiently run the plates of radio vacuum tubes (especially power tubes, needed for the 'final' audio output. Downstream from the transformer would be a filter network to clean up the output to give reasonably pure, high-voltage DC (which is what the radio was... umm... lusting for).

65qqzmdq7lxj.png

Now -- if any of you vibrator-fiends are interested in the late-1950s development of "space charge" tubes that slowly but surely allowed car radios to get away from their vibrators... lemme know and I'll tell you more.

All G rated, of course. B)
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    edited December 2019
    NM - Vanilla gave me too much shrinkage.
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    gfv7q2iltbng.jpg

Lol! :smile:
    6uew659mv455.png
  • verb
    So admittedly, I got 11. I'm getting there! :smile:
    xrfhxuo1gq8f.png
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Candy cigarettes, party land line, drive in movies, Andy Griffith Show, that's all I got.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I got 13 of them and I am 55. :o
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I got 13 of them and I am 55. :o

Well Jimmy you're a man beyond his years. A.k.a Older than dirt! :smile:
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Being 70, I got 16. Numbers 1, 2, 3, and 20 I missed.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I'm at 9 and not even 40 yet... HTH!?
  • verb
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Candy cigarettes, party land line, drive in movies, Andy Griffith Show, that's all I got.

Party land lines? That goes back to newsreels before the movies! Try harder sir! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    My great aunt's tobacco farm and house in Severn, MD had a party line when I was a kid (1960s). And no indoor privy, either. She did have running water, but it wasn't potable.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    So admittedly, I got 11. I'm getting there! :smile:
    xrfhxuo1gq8f.png

I've got them all, I remember them well
  • verb
    ^^^^ We have a winner! Tell me Ivan how does that party line of yours get internet? :smile: