Polk L200 Speaker Demo Reviews

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Cool thanks!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    With some more time on the L200s, I have to say that I am warming up to them...

They have moved up my rankings list of what I have compared them to so far but that will be explained in my final review post.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited November 2019
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I find this statement interesting.
    The L200s have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, and at 85.5 dB efficiency, they're real "gas-guzzlers."

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2019
    They aren't my idea of an easy load on the bases of those two parameters*... but I
    (ahem, still) wanna see the actual measured impedance curve to see if they're really gas guzzlers or just geared kinda tall, so to speak :)

tonyp063 wrote: »
    I find this statement interesting.
    The L200s have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, and at 85.5 dB efficiency, they're real "gas-guzzlers."

The L200 is actually very easy the drive with 4 ohm capable power.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    They aren't my idea of an easy load on the bases of those two parameters*... but I
    (ahem, still) wanna see the actual measured impedance curve to see if they're really gas guzzlers or just geared kinda tall, so to speak :)

But of course, phase angles determine how much of a load it is also, not just pure impedance.
  • mhardy6647
    K_M wrote: »

But of course, phase angles determine how much of a load it is also, not just pure impedance.

Part and parcel of the standard impedance plot.
    I assume(d) that everyone here who is interested in the issue of a loudspeaker as an amplifier load understands that.

PolkSI7Fig1.jpg
    source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/polk-audio-lsi7-loudspeaker-measurements
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    My wife just erased my review by closing out a tab on my iPad. :'(

Now I will start over again...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

I assume(d) that everyone here who is interested in the issue of a loudspeaker as an amplifier load understands that.

In the DIY speaker forums we frequent, yes for sure, but in here, I tend to see a lot less in depth knowledge of speaker parameters and design.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2019
    mrbiron wrote: »

paging @Hermitism
    We need a badge for that! :/

EDIT: Check that. "We've" got one...

eup3e6l3n527.jpg

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @mhardy6647
    Actually two

noqshjh3l2x9.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Not much info from the "walnut" crowd, guess the black ash speakers sound better, ha!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • mhardy6647
    @mhardy6647
    Actually two

noqshjh3l2x9.jpg

well played.

:)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

In the DIY speaker forums we frequent, yes for sure, but in here, I tend to see a lot less in depth knowledge of speaker parameters and design.

Peculiar claim since you have never provided any technical info even when requested.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892

This time, write it out in the Notes app, or Pages app, before finalizing and posting. It’s advisable for anything longer than a few paragraphs!
    Alea jacta est!
  • mrbiron
    Kex wrote: »

This time, write it out in the Notes app, or Pages app, before finalizing and posting. It’s advisable for anything longer than a few paragraphs!

Solution #2
    Bludgeoning with iPad. It might not be the best, but it will make me feel better.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Kex wrote: »

Solution #2
    Bludgeoning with iPad. It might not be the best, but it will make me feel better.

Yeah, but your not built for jail........ which is where us "not rich" folks end up after a manslaughter charge.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Your kidding right ? There's people here who know that stuff upside down and backwards. However, very few, who are not into DIY, want to know those things. Most anyone cares about is quality and sound, maybe aesthetics too, because those are the determining factors of buying a speaker, or not, for most people.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I got a lot to say here but need some time to write it all down and get my thoughts straight. I'm meeting up with gmcman tonight to pass them off to him. Would go grab a beer and a bite but he's passing through on work and won't have time.

Either way, I'll be jabbering about them soon much to all y'all's chagrin....I'm lookin' at you, @pitdogg2 , ya frickin' crybaby havin' to read words and stuff.

Maybe I'll put it together for F1nut to read for you in an audiobook.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    Just 'save your work' -- don't be an @mrbiron. ;)

(this is good-natured ribbing, @mrbiron! Really...)

:#

• mrbiron
    Just 'save your work' -- don't be an @mrbiron. ;)

(this is good-natured ribbing, @mrbiron! Really...)

:#
    I know where you live!
    Fortunately for you, I don’t know when I will have time to Drop by for a...
    stabbing

:D
  • mhardy6647
    :)

I will succumb to old age first, based on past performance. :|

There's an Amp Camp Amp just waitin' for you to stop by, y'know? :)

• mrbiron
    I know, I know.
    Try not to point out all of my flaws. I leave that job for my wife. ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Jstas wrote: »
    I got a lot to say here but need some time to write it all down and get my thoughts straight. I'm meeting up with gmcman tonight to pass them off to him. Would go grab a beer and a bite but he's passing through on work and won't have time.

Either way, I'll be jabbering about them soon much to all y'all's chagrin....I'm lookin' at you, @pitdogg2 , ya frickin' crybaby havin' to read words and stuff.

Good gawd man, don't do that to me.....

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    F1nut wrote: »
    Jstas wrote: »

Good gawd man, don't do that to me.....

no vowels please B)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Disemvowel, got it.

Easy enough. There's an app for that!

https://nmichaels.org/dsmvwl.py
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    I'm going to send my review to @dromunds and let him translate it.... :p
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Just for the sake of disclosure, I just sent the L200s on to their next victim, @tonyb

I have a very busy day today with work and personal stuff but will be working on my review and comparison tomorrow.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip