Possible power outage for next two days

Comments

• F1nut wrote: »
    The public vilified PG&E for the fires and now the public is doing the same because PG&E shut off the power to prevent fires!?! Can you say catch-22?

I wouldn't be surprised if PG&E said screw it, shut it all down and said later losers.

Those in P who prefer big G and love to vilify B just can't see that.
    G created the rules for B to follow, then G plays the hero to P by taking B to task for following those rules.

The WWE couldn't have scripted this any better.
    Actually WWE parodies real life situations like this in the ring.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Here we go again. It is hotter than Hades, and we are now on a possible power outage on Saturday night.

Of course, this is all trivial compared to what is already occurring further North, and down South with their fires. Good luck to everyone affected by this mess.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Not sure what you are blabbering about. PG&E is a private company. Of course, many think that is the problem. They put profits over safety and functionality.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2019
    Let me clear it up for you. California is going down the tubes because of stupid political policy that help people get re-elected, but move the states economy backwards, and causing costs to soar---which of course is passed on to the Californian tax payer. Do you ever tire of the stupid legislation?

I live in a red state, here's my average costs/monthly, please compare to your costs, and you'll see what I'm saying:

electric $145 (average of summer/winter)
    water $28 (I have an in-ground pool with auto-fill too)
    natural gas $52
    city sewer/trash pick-up $22
    Annual property tax $2100 (1/3rd acre lot, 2400 sq ft home)

Politics has a DIRECT effect on costs, that's why we have Cali immigrants moving to Arizona in huge numbers. I just hope they have learned their lesson.

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BlueFox
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Let me clear it up for you. California is going down the tubes because of stupid political policy that help people get re-elected, but move the states economy backwards, and causing costs to soar---which of course is passed on to the Californian tax payer. Do you ever tire of the stupid legislation?

LOL.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Not sure what you are blabbering about. PG&E is a private company. Of course, many think that is the problem. They put profits over safety and functionality.

It is a public corporation (Investor Owned Utility) and publicly traded.
    Although I don't know what its status is during bankruptcy proceedings.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Gas_and_Electric_Company
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556

The city owns the utilities here. They put politics over safety and functionality.
    The new guy in charge told them they needed a rate increase to cover essential
    Fixes to the grid. Voted down by the city council.
    So we have to put up with power outages. And it will cost $$$ down
    The road to fix. Not to mention issues with some areas with old lead
    Pipes that need replacing. Can you say Flint?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    sucks2beme wrote: »

The city owns the utilities here. They put politics over safety and functionality.

I really have no idea what you are blabbering about.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

They are an investor owned company, and like every other company on the planet, they are in business to make money, not swap dollars. If local policy and mandates put enough strain on that profit to loss scenario, what do you think will happen ? Executive pay at PG&E isn't an issue either. The top 5 executives make less money that your starting quarterback playing a game.

When a state, any state, partners with business for services, they should work in conjunction with each other to supply that service at a cost that benefits everyone.

Would you not agree to that ?

Can you honestly say California is working with PG&E, or working against them ? Can you honestly say, California isn't giving more weight to the environmentalists, than the needs of the people for dependable electric service ? Can you honestly say, California has their priorities screwed on straight ?

There are solutions to this, none of which your state wants to bare the costs for, or suffer the politics for. That's the bottom line. The winds aren't going to stop blowing just for your sake.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    A minor clarification is by ‘private company’ I mean its not government owned/run.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    sucks2beme wrote: »

I really have no idea what you are blabbering about.

It's an example of common issues. Private or public, utilities are
    Under pressure. If PG&E was to be taken over tomorrow by the state
    Is the power grid going to get better? Most likely not.
    A whole lot of factors put them in this position. It's going to
    Take both them and the government working together to fix it.
    So far they aren't.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    la2vegas wrote: »

g0gn97a1hv15.jpg

But physical assault on somebody for stating their reasonable beliefs to a states' decline is OK?
    That's seems to be the answer these days, doesn't it.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    You think the rolling blackouts are inconvenient now? Turn it over to the government. Go ahead I dare ya CA.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • BlueFox
    Just received this email from Nextdoor

Social Media Communications Team, Pacific Gas and Electric Company AGENCY
    View larger photo ⚠️ Public Safety Power Shutoff: Power to be shut off for safety in 6 zones starting today. Address look-up tool www.pge.com/eventmaps ⚠️
    • Public Safety Power Shutoff This Week to Impact Portions of 36 Counties Beginning Saturday Afternoon
    • Potential PSPS Impact Expands by 90,000 Customers: Total projected impact now 940,000
    • Power to be shut off for safety in 6 zones starting @ approx 2PM today (weather dependent)
    • Historic Wind Event Forecast to Cause Dangerous Conditions Until Midday Monday
    • Look up your address to confirm if you’ll be impacted: www.pge.com/eventmaps
    Due to weather forecasts indicating potential for a historic wind event this weekend, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) confirmed it will implement a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) affecting approximately 940,000 customers—an increase of 90,000 from previous estimates—in portions of 36 counties. Widespread dry, hot and windy weather is expected to begin impacting the service area today between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. and lasting until midday Monday.
    As this weather system sweeps from north to south over a period of two to three days, PG&E customers across Northern and Central California will feel the effects of hot, dry winds at different times, which means outage times will vary as well.
    ☑ Oct. 26 PSPS event - Power Will Be Turned Off in Phases
    The times below are estimates and may change (earlier or later) dependent on weather.
    Phase 1 — 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26 in portions of Amador, Butte, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, San Joaquin, Sierra, Siskiyou, Shasta, Tehama and Yuba counties
    Phase 2 — 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26 in portions of Lake, Marin, Mendocino (south), Napa, Solano, Sonoma and Yolo counties
    Phase 3 — 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26 in portions of Alameda, Contra Costa, Monterey, San Benito, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Stanislaus counties
    Phase 4 — 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26 in portions of Alpine, Calaveras, Mariposa and Tuolumne counties
    Phase 5 — 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26 in portions of Humboldt, Mendocino (north) and Trinity counties
    Phase 6 — 10 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 27 in portions of Kern County
    The power will be turned off to communities in stages, depending on local timing of the severe wind conditions.
    ☑ Customer Notifications and Impact
    In most cases, the company has notified potentially impacted customers at 48 hours, 24 hours and just before the de-energization. However, customers not impacted by the PSPS may experience power outages due to PG&E equipment damaged during this major wind event. Those customers will not be notified in advance.
    It is very possible customers may be affected by a power shutoff even though they are not experiencing extreme weather conditions in their specific location. This is because the electric system relies on power lines working together to provide electricity across cities, counties and regions.
    ☑ Estimated time of restoration
    Predictive data models indicate the weather event could be the most powerful to hit California in decades, with widespread dry northeast winds between 45-60 mph and peak gusts of 60-70 mph in the higher elevations.
    Winds of this magnitude pose a higher risk of damage and sparks on the electric system and rapid wildfire spread. The fire risk is even higher because vegetation on the ground has been dried out by recent wind events.
    Before restoring power, PG&E must inspect its equipment for damage and make any necessary repairs. That process cannot begin until the severe weather event has subsided.
    Given the prolonged period during which the wind event will unfold, and the large number of power line miles that will need to be inspected before restoration, customers are being asked to prepare for an extended outage of at least two days once the severe weather has passed.
    PG&E will work with state and local agencies to provide updated restoration timelines following the conclusion of the severe weather event.
    ☑ Customer Resources
    PG&E has opened 56 Community Resource Centers in areas where power will be shut off, and we are looking to add more. These centers will remain open in impacted areas throughout the PSPS to provide water, phone charging stations, air-conditioned seating and restrooms. To view the current list: www.pge.com/pspsupdates
    During the PSPS, customers in impacted areas will not be billed. PG&E has paused disconnection and collection activities in these areas.
    Given the forecast and conditions, PG&E is advising its customers of the potential for a widespread PSPS lasting several days, intended to prevent a catastrophic wildfire. PG&E’s Safety Action Center is a great information resource for making sure that you, your family, your neighborhood and even your pets are prepared before an emergency: www.safetyactioncenter.pge.com/
    As this intense weather event approaches the service area, PG&E’s forecasts will offer sharper detail, noting that the scope may continue to change on the number of customers who will be affected. Find updates, resources and more information about how a PSPS works at: www.pge.com/pspsupdates

View or reply

Thank · Private message
    You can also reply to this email or use Nextdoor for iPhone or Android
    You're receiving this urgent alert because you live within the Pacific Gas and Electric Company area.
    This message is intended for budbeacham@yahoo.com.
    Unsubscribe or adjust your email settings
    Nextdoor, 875 Stevenson Street, Suite 700, San Francisco, CA 94103

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Since power might be shutoff Saturday night (tonight) I decided to play it safe. So, while it is now 12:44PM Saturday, I haven’t been to bed yet for Friday. If the power is shutoff tonight I should sleep through it. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Scary thing is PG&E still owns Diablo Canyon nuke plant? So how many corners are they cutting there?

My Gas and Electric is $200 a month, no AC or heat used.
    Water is $140 a month, I have the house pressure set at 50psi

A friend who wears a tin foil hat was saying the State wants to take over the utilities starting with PG&E.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tonyb
    mrloren wrote: »
    Scary thing is PG&E still owns Diablo Canyon nuke plant? So how many corners are they cutting there?

My Gas and Electric is $200 a month, no AC or heat used.
    Water is $140 a month, I have the house pressure set at 50psi

A friend who wears a tin foil hat was saying the State wants to take over the utilities starting with PG&E.

I think basically when it comes down to utilities, you have to look at what they charge, versus what the total bill is after taxes and fees. If your like Illinois, that difference can be staggering.

Which again boils down to politics which we aren't suppose to talk about. Generally speaking though, without politics, every state has their own set of rules/laws/mandates/agendas that effect the total bill you pay with utilities. Steve was correct in his statements, we just can't dive too deeply into it here.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    mrloren wrote: »

Doubt that would happen. It would erase the scapegoat they use, and fines they could collect. What would the state do, sue themselves ? Have people get angry at the state for power shut offs, rather than a separate company ? That wouldn't play well in the press.

However, they can bury the lines in some of the more windy areas prone to fires. Sure, gonna cost a bunch, but the alternative is to keep putting up with fires every year. Priorities....when you have x amount of money to work with, you need to set priorities.

Plus a state doesn't just eat those costs to bury lines. People will get a special added tax to their bills to pay for it. Maybe, just maybe....once those lines are buried, homeowners insurance may be cheaper because of it, offsetting the added charge on you bill.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Cali residents have been paying under ground utility fee's since 1967. From what I'm reading little to none has been done due to misappropriation of funds. Common practice no matter where you live.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/General.aspx?id=4403
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    In other news, the other 49 states have power. LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    In other news, the other 49 states have power. LOL

Even West Virginia !
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I'm sure glad to have been born when A/C was just invented along with refrigerators and ice trays. I remember NO A/C at all when I was younger. I rarely stayed indoors.

When we have power outages here in NC., I look back to those days and wonder how my parents generation handled it and then the generation before them...It sure is tough in these humid states!

I do know a breeze through the open window helps one to fall asleep if your head is right there.

Also to not have lights is very bad. But I know a guy who went to bed when it got dark. He uses a fan in the summer. He's a REAL frugal guy from the past! He's the only one I know that lives like that, that doesn't have to at all. But he's happy! He's about 70 now I guess and living in Amsterdam by now.

To not have electricity for a couple or 3 days is something that anybody in the USA should NOT have to experience. I think of the homeless right now. People with well pumps, no water! That's got to suck!

I wish all those that have to go through this hardship all the best. I saw on TV the food that people had move to other towns or just throw away a couple or more weeks ago. Restaurants shutting down for 2 or 3 days is devastating to them!

All affected by the power shut-downs...I wish you the best. :'(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Our ol' neighborhood in Milpitas had underground AC power lines. Houses were built ca. 1978.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Who's to blame? We will never know. There's big big money dictating what you will and will not know.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Our ol' neighborhood in Milpitas had underground AC power lines. Houses were built ca. 1978.

My guess is this is shutting down transmition more than local distribution
  • BlueFox
    Power still on. Keep fingers crossed. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Good luck Bud
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk