Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    K_M wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

too many drivers :|

The idea back then was to use several low cost drivers, and hopefully equal one much larger more expensive woofer.
    But lobing and dispersion issues were not at the top of the agenda back then nor as well thought out.

Ive had people see our "Big" sdas and ask why 8 small woofers, instead of maybe 2 10" woofers......not sure, maybe they got a better deal on bulk 6.5" woofers... :D

Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782

Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

Worth repeating!

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

The idea back then was to use several low cost drivers, and hopefully equal one much larger more expensive woofer.
    But lobing and dispersion issues were not at the top of the agenda back then nor as well thought out.

Ive had people see our "Big" sdas and ask why 8 small woofers, instead of maybe 2 10" woofers......not sure, maybe they got a better deal on bulk 6.5" woofers... :D

Maybe, but at least have the decency to discuss what you think is in error.

Making a personal attack, makes you look petty and lacking in any real information what would agree/disagree with what I said.

In other words, you are simply TROLLING.......for an argument.
    Step it up some and try to put your thoughts into sentences.
    Otherwise, you look like you have no real point...
  • K_M
    edited October 2019
    F1nut wrote: »

Worth repeating!

Worth repeating!

I really thought you were going to discuss the topic at hand, but instead???

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    People have been worried about "lobing", comb filtering and dispersion since the days of Dr. Harry F. Olson, at least.

http://www.nasonline.org/publications/biographical-memoirs/memoir-pdfs/olson-harry.pdf

http://cyrille.pinton.free.fr/electroac/lectures_utiles/son/Olson.pdf
    lh33oj8t1qjk.png

• K_M
    People have been worried about "lobing", comb filtering and dispersion since the days of Dr. Harry F. Olson, at least.

http://www.nasonline.org/publications/biographical-memoirs/memoir-pdfs/olson-harry.pdf

http://cyrille.pinton.free.fr/electroac/lectures_utiles/son/Olson.pdf
    lh33oj8t1qjk.png

Yes, but Polk did not implement ways to reduce or eliminate those effects till years later.
    For instance the RTA11t, both midwoofers operate up to the same frequency and are above and below the tweeter

In the SDA models, I do not believe it was a huge concern the placement of drivers and so on.

But still great point!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Not an expert on the subject, but pretty sure that exact size of mid-woofer was selected because it was vital to the SDA effect.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Yes, but Polk did not implement ways to reduce or eliminate those effects till years later.

Years later from when?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut

Worth repeating!

Worth repeating!

I really thought you were going to discuss the topic at hand, but instead???

Every time you enter a thread and are asked for information/details you disappear, so there's no point in discussing anything with you. Hit and run, it's your MO and everyone here knows it. Go play the victim somewhere else.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

wwmymz6oidjn.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    game.

ca8lwnp4qg9z.png

set.

u9o0hb3cf7ov.png

and match.

66brntuj1pqd.png

;)

Actually, all three of the above at least claim to be intelligently designed.
    I have my doubts about the Tektons, but that's just me :|

• afterburnt
    edited October 2019
    game.

ca8lwnp4qg9z.png

set.

u9o0hb3cf7ov.png

and match.

66brntuj1pqd.png

;)

Actually, all three of the above at least claim to be intelligently designed.
    I have my doubts about the Tektons, but that's just me :|

I reject "Intelligent Design" based on what's on top of the food chain, but that's for another discussion I guess.

I do find those speakers titillating yet disturbing.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    How do you eat a burger without the top part of the bun?
  • afterburnt
    rpf65 wrote: »
    How do you eat a burger without the top part of the bun?

Turn it over?
  • Nightfall
    edited October 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »

Years later from when?

Where'd you go? I didn't even get to tell you about the RTA-12B's and C's.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    edited October 2019

Making a personal attack, makes you look petty and lacking in any real information what would agree/disagree with what I said.

The reason they chose 6.5" midwoofers is because they were after the specific goal of eliminating intra-aural crosstalk so they could vastly improve stereo sound reproduction... I trust you have read the white paper on it so I will not post it here. They chose the very best driver size they could for achieving their goal. The doped paper cone was and still is one of the best drivers ever made. They are light, fast, articulate and durable. They are capable of being both exceptionally delicate and detailed and forceful at the same moment.

Ten inch speakers are not capable of the speed, control or frequency response needed to accomplish this. Further, a pair of 10" drivers, placed in an SDA configuration would have made the speakers 30 inches wide.

It would be you that is trolling when you continue to disparage and dismiss a speaker you clearly do not understand or appreciate by saying such incredibly stupid things and expecting a free pass. Your statements about SDA's are nearly always wrong. You state you uninformed opinion as if they should be regarded as fact and they cry wolf when those of us that actually know what we are talking about speak up.

My comments are meant to inform someone new to this forum, or to SDA, that you are not a person that should be listened to in regards to anything having to do with these speakers, and perhaps audio in general.

For a very long time, many members, myself and Jesse included, have tried to help you understand, yet you not only refuse to take any sort of advice, suggestion or input, you continue your crusade to disparage and diminish what you do not comprehend. Your contribution to the understanding of SDA is useless, and your continued presence talking about them is pointless. And as for your reply to this... don't bother because I wont be seeing it.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2019

The reason they chose 6.5" midwoofers is because they were after the specific goal of eliminating intra-aural crosstalk so they could vastly improve stereo sound reproduction... I trust you have read the white paper on it so I will not post it here. They chose the very best driver size they could for achieving their goal. The doped paper cone was and still is one of the best drivers ever made. They are light, fast, articulate and durable. They are capable of being both exceptionally delicate and detailed and forceful at the same moment.

Ten inch speakers are not capable of the speed, control or frequency response needed to accomplish this. Further, a pair of 10" drivers, placed in an SDA configuration would have made the speakers 30 inches wide.

It would be you that is trolling when you continue to disparage and dismiss a speaker you clearly do not understand or appreciate by saying such incredibly stupid things and expecting a free pass. Your statements about SDA's are nearly always wrong. You state you uninformed opinion as if they should be regarded as fact and they cry wolf when those of us that actually know what we are talking about speak up.

My comments are meant to inform someone new to this forum, or to SDA, that you are not a person that should be listened to in regards to anything having to do with these speakers, and perhaps audio in general.

For a very long time, many members, myself and Jesse included, have tried to help you understand, yet you not only refuse to take any sort of advice, suggestion or input, you continue your crusade to disparage and diminish what you do not comprehend. Your contribution to the understanding of SDA is useless, and your continued presence talking about them is pointless. And as for your reply to this... don't bother because I wont be seeing it.

Thank you John! What an eloquent response! Too bad there isn't an all in one button that includes "Like", "Agree", and "Insightful".

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • K_M
    edited October 2019

You are unable to accept disagreement.
    Some advice.......

A Forum such as this is going to ALWAYS have disagreement, people that love and hate things, and many that will think you are wrong, are clueless and so on, and some that will agree with anything you say, no matter right or wrong.

That is how the online world works.

You and Jesse have not cornered the market for knowing everything.
    I know for certain, MANY things you and he say are wrong.
    The difference, I do not get all bent out of shape, and call you guys names, and call you trolls and so on.

Learn to accept disagreement, There is going to be a lot more in your life.
    Thinking you are right about everything, will never make you happy!

Have a great day!!

Post edited by K_M on
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 477
    When are these shipping again? Nov 1st? I see in the dealer network there are in-store demo but will they all have the L800? In the case of World Wide Stereo, I'm thinking they would since this is a high end shop which demos speakers costing 10x as much as the L800. If I like them I'll pick up a pair.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • K_M
    audioluvr wrote: »

Thank you John! What an eloquent response! Too bad there isn't an all in one button that includes "Like", "Agree", and "Insightful".

Yeah maybe, too bad you lack the backbone to call them out, when they act like utter jerks and call people names and so on.

Are you too scared to mention that, or do you feel obligated to only kiss up when required?
  • Nightfall
    Yeah, but what about RTA-12Bs and C's implementing a way to reduce lobing with the side by side driver arrangement.

Also, facts can't be disagreed. It's not like I can say 1+1 is 3 and you just have to accept that we disagree.

• F1nut
    audioluvr wrote: »

Yeah maybe, too bad you lack the backbone to call them out, when they act like utter jerks and call people names and so on.

Are you too scared to mention that, or do you feel obligated to only kiss up when required?

My my, they are twisted today.....LOL

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

You are unable to accept disagreement.
    Some advice.......

A Forum such as this is going to ALWAYS have disagreement, people that love and hate things, and many that will think you are wrong, are clueless and so on, and some that will agree with anything you say, no matter right or wrong.

That is how the online world works.

You and Jesse have not cornered the market for knowing everything.
    I know for certain, MANY things you and he say are wrong.
    The difference, I do not get all bent out of shape, and call you guys names, and call you trolls and so on.

Learn to accept disagreement, There is going to be a lot more in your life.
    Thinking you are right about everything, will never make you happy!

Have a great day!!

And yet you stated that he was trolling in this very thread.

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Yeah, but what about RTA-12Bs and C's implementing a way to reduce lobing with the side by side driver arrangement.

Also, facts can't be disagreed. It's not like I can say 1+1 is 3 and you just have to accept that we disagree.

My point was in reference to "some" of the older Polks, in comparison to the new SDA iteration.
    I meant a lot has been learned/implemented in those intervening years.

In later models employing multiple small woofers, the upper range of one was limited intentionally by the crossover, such as in the Lsi 15 and Lsi 25 among others.

Part of this was for reasons relating to BSC and part for reduced lobing and to maintain a more specific point for sound source localizations.
  • K_M
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Crutchfield now has the L800s up for reservation and the L600 on pre-order status. No definite ship dates yet...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700L800WN/Polk-Audio-Legend-L800-Brown-Walnut.html

We are thinking about maybe doing the L600 (SDA is not important to me) but see the L800 are listed as "Each" in crutchfield for approx 6K dollars..

Think that will confuse many as they mean "Each Pair", but each....to most means ONE of something.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 477
    @K_M I agree, I was shopping around and saw the online only retailers, landing on crutchfield had me do a double take. I knew they where 6k a pair not 6k ea.... matching pair.

I know nothing of SDA other than pictures.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • F1nut
    It clearly states matched pair in the heading, so each matched pair is $5999.98.

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Did any of you folks in the Chicago area get to the October 10 listening session in Glenview?
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited October 2019
    It clearly states matched pair in the heading, so each matched pair is $5999.98.

For sure it does, one should read before buying $6K speakers. Buying a pair is assumed, yet I think listing as a Left/Right PAIR beside the price makes the most sense to everyone.

However, I'm sure companies enter these in a way that fits their current database structure. I'm surprised POLK lists them as each with no obvious Left/Right pair designation beside the price.

Listed as Each
    https://www.polkaudio.com/products/l800
    https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/search?type=article,page,product&q=Polk*+L800*
    https://www.hideflifestyle.com/products/polk-audio-legend-l800-premium-floorstanding-tower-speaker-w-patented-sda-pro-technology

Listed as Each (Pair in the description)
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700L800BA/Polk-Audio-Legend-L800-Black-Ash.html

Listed as Each (Right) & (Left) SKU
    https://www.nfm.com/floor-speakers?sort=salepricedesc
    https://stereoadvantage.com/apps/omega-search/?type=product&q=Polk+L800#type=product&q=Polk L800

dromunds wrote: »
    Did any of you folks in the Chicago area get to the October 10 listening session in Glenview?
    Yes, it was a big audio event that had reps from several other manufactures present also. Great store, great turnout, but not the best situation for listening. Some of the rooms were closed but the Polks were in a large open and noisy area. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187849/abt-electronics-audio-innovation-event-10-10-2019
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    So do you think Crutchfield would put the L800 on display in their store locations?
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601