Possible power outage for next two days

Options
Here in Northern CA it is fire season, and our power company has caused some major fires the last few years. Since they are being sued, and have declared bankruptcy due to those fires they are into overkill trying to not start anymore fires. So, at midnight they are shutting off power to quite a large area, and millions of people, for two days. I am right on the edge of the cutoff zone, and not sure if I will be affected or not. To be on the safe side I am listening to the stereo, and drinking beer tonight.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    That sucks. We went 4.5 days once in MT. In August.

Do you have a generator?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    No generator, but solar for the day. Hopefully, that will keep the refrigerator okay, assuming this all happens. People are already complaining even though it hasn’t happened yet.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    Options
    Keep your fridge full (water bottles are good filler... or beer?), and don’t open it within 30mins of losing power. Should be good overnight.

Or coolers with ice:-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Would putting some dried ice in the fridge work?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    Options

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    How 'bout a 10,000 watt Honda generator?

71OHX8TfQ6L._SX425_.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • daddyjt
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    How 'bout a 10,000 watt Honda generator?

71OHX8TfQ6L._SX425_.jpg

RMS? At 8 ohm?

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    That's insanity.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    Options
    So far no issue here. The wind isn’t even moving.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    I read the news story regarding the blackouts, and BlueFox I thought you were in Seattle. Good luck!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Keep your fridge full (water bottles are good filler... or beer?), and don’t open it within 30mins of losing power. Should be good overnight.

Or coolers with ice:-)

I’m pretty sure his is already full of beer, but I don’t think he can go 30 minutes without opening it if he’s awake!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Good luck! I had 4 days without power back in June after a big storm. It's a real bummer.
    A good tip I got was to empty the ice maker. They normally overflow once the ice all melts. Also the obvious things, batteries, flashlights, keep a phone charger with you.

I personally had a hard time with was multiple nights with true dead silence. I'd buy a battery powered radio or something if it happened again. We also didn't have AC in June in Texas, but I'd imagine your temperatures will be more temperate.

Also take note of gas powered vs electric appliances. Having a working oven and stove during a black out is nice. Same with hot water. All in all, it's very annoying, but try to make the best of it.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Is this power outage for everyone ? What do grocery stores and restaurants do with no refrigeration/freezers ? Hospitals, police and fire services ? Schools ? Gas stations can't pump gas, can't charge up your electric car, your phone, appliances ? No A/C....Businesses have to close for this period, right ?

California, considered by many to be the tech capital of the country, can't keep the power on ?

Seems to me, that maybe, just maybe...you take some of the billions you spend on B.S. stuff and throw it at securing electrical services on a more solid foundation.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I guess it is cheaper to cut power than keeping the transmission rightaways clear of brush.
    This is what caused the earlier fire, dead vegetation under the lines when they came down.

Here in Ohio these areas are completely void of anything but natural grasses and the like.

Also I hear that raking the forests helps.....lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited October 2019
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Is this power outage for everyone ? What do grocery stores and restaurants do with no refrigeration/freezers ? Hospitals, police and fire services ? Schools ? Gas stations can't pump gas, can't charge up your electric car, your phone, appliances ? No A/C....Businesses have to close for this period, right ?

California, considered by many to be the tech capital of the country, can't keep the power on ?

Seems to me, that maybe, just maybe...you take some of the billions you spend on B.S. stuff and throw it at securing electrical services on a more solid foundation.

From what I've heard from friends and co-workers in California, businesses and commercial/industrial centers will not lose power. Mostly because those areas are full of companies large enough that they have the resources to sue for damage.

From what I've heard, this is only affecting residential areas 'cause you're just a peon and don't matter so shut up and take it like a man.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The east coast gets moisture, pretty much year round.
    (Most of) California, not so much.

The tinder problem in CA (at least in the East Bay hills, just east of where we lived when we were there) is that the scub lands were/are overgrown with non-native grasses that die in the hot/dry season and are just waiting to burn. The situation just escalates from there.

In fact, in northern New England, we get localized brush and field fires often in the very early spring, when there is lots of 'fuel' around (dead vegetation from the winter), things have dried out, and the air is warm and dry. Very, very common along side roadways in MA, NH and ME (probably other places up here, too).

• Jstas
    Options
    Oh, yeah, we get them too and in the late fall, early winter, NJ will go through and burn the dead stuff with smudge cans and then put it out when the tinder is all gone. Otherwise we'd be overwhelmed with forest fires, yearly.

I get regular updates from the forestry department through email. That email comes with a schedule every month of when/where mosquito spraying is happening and when/where proscribed burning is happening. Hell, farmers aren't even allowed to leave corn fields standing and dry for more than a certain amount of time and that time frame gets truncated in drought conditions.

I signed up for the emails it because my house backs up to acres and acres of state park and conservation area. There's nothing behind me for a few miles. So a forest fire is a very real threat to me.

Also, the non-native plants, NJ is hard on that. Because of where I live, on the edge of a conservation area and my lake is a protected watershed area, I'm very limited in what I can do and plant in my yard. The previous owner's wife did whatever she wanted and I've caught heat from the town over it because the town is run by morons who just want to fine me and grab money. But I've been on a campaign since we moved in to get rid of the non-native species because of the problems they cause. That and they weren't cared for so they look awful.

NJ is serious about conservation for risk mitigation but also because the Pine Barrens biome is unique enough that it's protected at a state and federal level but is also a protected site internationally as The United Nations named it an International Biosphere Reserve and put it on a list of World Heritage Sites.

I know Southern California gets dry. It's a coastal desert after all. But California's lack of management is as much of a contributor to their forestry and wildfire problems as shoddily maintained power grid equipment.

• daddyjt
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    ...Yeah, the power company is at fault for not maintaining lines properly but the state is just as at fault for not allowing responsible conservation activities or proper clearance of areas around power lines so they can be easily inspected and remain safe...

This is indeed the crux of the problem. We had much the same issue in Montana with the beetle-kill trees (large pines that are standing dead from Pine Beetle infestation). These trees are perfectly viable timber for 2-3 years after they die off from the beetles. However, because timber companies are evil(?), the environmentalists lobby and sue to ensure that this dead resource stay right where they are - in the forest, as hundreds of thousands of acres of well-aged kindling. One day, in the not-so-distant future, there is going to be a wildfire up there the likes of which have not been seen by anyone living now.

What a waste, and all because of miss-guided, feel-good politics. Sad.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    A planned power outage because of the power company's incompetence? That's insane! Only in Cali....
  • Jstas
    Options
    This is what I'm referring to. Nobody in NJ is "raking the forest. lol"

This picture is the intersection of Llewellyn Ave and Landis Ave in Milmay, NJ in the Richland section of Buena Vista Township. Zipcode 08340

39°28'22.4"N 74°51'29.3"W

What this picture shows is the road clearance on either side. If you go to Google Maps, you can see that every road that cuts through the Pine Barrens has this buffer zone. Even if it's covered with trees, that buffer zone is still there, under the canopy, where satellites can't see it. The buffer zones get burned frequently and cut with mowers to keep the road sides clear to limit fire potential and ease maintenance.

Anyhoo, the large line of what looks like clear cutting is exactly that. Clear cutting. Circled in red are two transmission line towers. These are the paths that the transmission lines cut through the forest. Every year, Asplundh Tree Service is contracted with the state and power companies and flies helicopters with cutting equipment up and down these paths to keep the trees from growing over the lines. They also roll these massive brush cutters up and down the path to keep stuff from growing up into the power lines. The forestry service runs their bulldozers through with ripper hooks and creates fire breaks in the root systems along these lines too. All of this is for fire prevention/containment. We don't have many transmission line problems because the vegetation isn't close enough to the lines to cause problems. When we do have a failure, it's never down long because the lines are easy to get to and fix. NJ also maintains these areas by seeding with native plants and grasses that help keep unwanted stuff at bay while providing habitat and food sources for local fauna.

This goes locally too. I have 450 feet of road frontage on my property. It borders a county route so there's perpetual traffic running between towns. Two years ago, Asplundh was out cutting my trees back. They stopped where I thought it was dumb and I asked why. They told me the owner of the house doesn't want his trees cut. I told them I'm the owner. They didn't believe it because we had just bought it so I had to go get the "SOLD" sign to show them. Then I told them "Cut what you have to, it's dangerous not to." They were so happy that someone reasonable was living here now that they cut a few trees below power lines that they didn't have to just to help me out. But they have a state mandated 10 ft area around the power lines that they have to keep clear otherwise the trees and plants get risky for storm damage to power infrastructure which causes outages, fires and injuries as well as other damages. So I have a bunch of trees that look like they got topped because of the power line requirements and forestry management that NJ says the power companies HAVE to do. But then again, NJ doesn't tax and fee the power companies into insolvency either.

This is what is meant by proper forestry management. Man has an impact here whether we want to acknowledge it or not. NJ makes a concerted effort to manage that impact. Lots of other states up here from Maryland to Maine do this too. We still get fires from time to time but because of these management techniques, they don't spread very quickly. And there have been years where the weather has been so dry that even the Cohansey Aquifer is threatened and the crazy deep municipal wells are in danger of running dry. So our pine forests can run a very similar risk to what So-Cal has in their drought times as well.

v3jcqgwzbhxo.jpg

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Ok then, if the current power company is that frickin' bad, why are you still using them ? Nobody else available to supply power for the state ?

I mean, it's not rocket science here, if they're doing such a horrible job, get rid of them or make them improve by regulations set onto them. Having power lines on the ground....is just unacceptable.

...and California needs to get their heads out of their rear ends and allow the forests to be cleaned up a bit. Again, it isn't rocket science on why that needs to be done.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited October 2019
    Options
    One more reason to avoid buying a Tesla car. :)
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Bud do you have battery back up for your solar? I don’t believe you will have any solar power once the power is cut.

That is how my solar panels work.

Thanks
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    can you not get that hamster to start running on its wheel
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Tonyb's post reminded me of another major headache during our blackout. For some reason McDonalds was the only restaurant or grocery store in the area that had power. The drive-thru was probably an hour wait at the 2 locations near by. They got downtown up and running overnight, so I was able to go in before work for breakfast, and had lunch down there.
    But for dinner I drove about 20 mins away to areas that had power and didn't have insane waits. If it's going to effect restaurants and grocery stores, it's something to consider.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ok then, if the current power company is that frickin' bad, why are you still using them ? Nobody else available to supply power for the state ?

I mean, it's not rocket science here, if they're doing such a horrible job, get rid of them or make them improve by regulations set onto them. Having power lines on the ground....is just unacceptable.

...and California needs to get their heads out of their rear ends and allow the forests to be cleaned up a bit. Again, it isn't rocket science on why that needs to be done.

California hasn’t allowed any new infrastructure to be built(power plants, refineries, etc) in the last 50 years... in fact, government has forced many that exist to shut down through regulations and stopped others from being built through red tape and endless environmental lawsuits. Now, if they need to take a refinery down for maintenance, gas prices spike to absurd levels overnight.

Bottom line isn’t there is no backup plan here. CA is a house of cards waiting for the next disaster....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited October 2019
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    No generator, but solar for the day. Hopefully, that will keep the refrigerator okay, assuming this all happens. People are already complaining even though it hasn’t happened yet.
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Bud do you have battery back up for your solar? I don’t believe you will have any solar power once the power is cut.

That is how my solar panels work.

Thanks
    ^^That's correct... unless there is a hybrid setup with batteries and AC coupling, a grid-tie Solar inverter will shut down and stop producing when the grid goes down.
    "Grid-tie inverters are also designed to quickly disconnect from the grid if the utility grid goes down. This is an NEC requirement[2] that ensures that in the event of a blackout, the grid tie inverter shuts down to prevent the energy it transfers from harming any line workers who are sent to fix the power grid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid-tie_inverter

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    This is going to be a shitshow. Stupid PG&E.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Just got an automated call saying power might go off at noon for up to 5 days. It’s on now, but who knows how for how long. The power outage affects every power user (home, business, hospital, etc.) in the affected area.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    "Up to 5 days". They're out of their minds.