Tesla Model S Police Car's Battery Ran Dry During High Speed Chase

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Hydrogen fuel cell tech looks to be a better answer than EV.
    EV is going to become bigger, but it will most likely lose to
    better tech. The light bulb thing was a good comparison.
    Those stupid mini fluorescent bulbs were horrible, and lasted
    about the same as the average bulb. Better ICE and car design
    will also extend the life of current tech. EV tech development
    ironically will also help the hydrogen fuel cell tech since
    a lot of the car past the batteries will be exactly the same.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Might I remind you that most of these supposed questions came up after you had already made this idiotic narrow-minded statement: "Driving a Tesla isn't about saving money on gas or the environment. It's a statement car, like a Benz or Ferarri. A car so rich people can ease their conscience."

So tell me then, those who own a Tesla, did you buy the car to save money, save the planet, or it's practical use ? If you answer no to that, then my statement isn't so wrong then is it.

….and there is nothing wrong with buying a "statement" car either. I know many who do, 100k Benz or Beemers, Foreign sports cars, etc. Just don't hide behind the "I'm saving the planet" B.S. or everyone else is evil for buying gas powered cars.

Many I know with electric cars, also have boats, planes, diesel powered trucks, or some other gas guzzling , emission spewing toys. Maybe they view it as offsetting their carbon footprint, I dunno. A tesla is basically a luxury electric car, while a Prius or Leaf is your basic commuter car designed to save people money. Nothing wrong with owning a luxury car, electric or gas. If you want to sell the virtues of a luxury electric car, then you also have to look at the downsides too. I do the same with gas cars, so I'm not picking on Tesla per say. The whole industry of electric cars has it's pluses and minuses, to make an informed decision if one is right for you, you need to ask pointed questions. You would do the same with any other product.

Just like in audio, there are statement pieces, 30k pre amps/amps, 100k+ speakers, blah blah. Some may actually be worth that price in sound, many aren't though, but some buy gear for the name, the price, because it gives them status, not necessarily better sound.

Again, nothing wrong with any of that, life is short, live it like a rock star if you can. Just don't try selling the agenda crap as the reason.

….and THAT statement is in general and not pointed at you cmy330go.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    charley95 wrote: »
    Gasoline powered cars are far better for the long term health of the planet than battery power will ever be. Just one volcanic eruption emits more CO2 during its cycle than mankind has done in 150 years of the Industrial Age.
    HOW DARE these volcanos emit harmful gases into our atmosphere! :D

Does Greta know about these?

;)
  • mhardy6647
    I guess Tesla has a new roadster coming that's gonna be a pretty serious piece of hardware (and commensurately priced).

https://www.tesla.com/roadster

e451b2wm0dj1.png

Now (and strictly FWIW) -- my personal opinion is that Elon Musk is the biggest shyster/charlatan in the car biz since Preston Tucker... but Musk (and, to a far lesser extent, Tucker) has built some interesting cars that do deliver to a surprising extent on their hyped promises.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    So much political virtue signaling.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Gasoline powered cars are far better for the long term health of the planet than battery power will ever be. Just one volcanic eruption emits more CO2 during its cycle than mankind has done in 150 years of the Industrial Age.
    HOW DARE these volcanos emit harmful gases into our atmosphere! :D

Does Greta know about these?

;)

She would just give the aforementioned volcano the icy glare treatment.

xh54j42mutv0.png
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2019
    The little girl has aspergers, if you don't know what it is look it up.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    BlueFox wrote: »
    ne'ermind.

Was it too difficult to type the letter ‘v’?

vc0hisp3bzjr.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited September 2019

How nice of the enviro-fringe to trot out a girl with special needs to dress down the U.N. for not doing enough about climate change.... if you disagree with her, it’s because you are a douchenozzle picking on a young child because she has a disability and not because her statements were demonstrably false...

Predictable, and just what I would expect....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    BlueFox wrote: »
    ne'ermind.

Was it too difficult to type the letter ‘v’?

But, nay!
    I was waxing poetic -- channeling my muse.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

How nice of the enviro-fringe to trot out a girl with special needs to dress down the U.N. for not doing enough about climate change.... if you disagree with her, it’s because you are a douchenozzle picking on a young child because she has a disability and not because her statements were demonstrably false...

LOL.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    I just LOL'd a little bit.

:*

• My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709

BINGO!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Don't forget people, Miami won't exist in 3 years if ya'll remember that one?! I gotta go there since I've never been there before it's gone. :D
  • mhardy6647
    Don't forget people, Miami won't exist in 3 years if ya'll remember that one?! I gotta go there since I've never been there before it's gone. :D

It'll be there, but the bling-y SUVs'll be replaced by gondolas (gondolae?) :/

sjx4lah4o7xo.png
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065

Yes I know she has and what it is and she hasn't let it get in her way of what she is doing.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    F1nut wrote: »
    The truth of the matter is electric cars are anything but green.

....go on...
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021

BINGO!!!

This forum is WAYYYY too Right.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    So I was basking in my bliss after the Cary drama, only to catch up on this thread!

In fact, I was gonna throw the old rectifier tube in the trash.

But maybe now I should disassemble it, and part it out in the appropriate recycle containers! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    OK -- there are myriad issues with the electrochemical cells used to make the batteries. That's (probably!) what some of this thread's naysayers are dancin' around vis-a-vis how 'green' (and how 'low CO2 footprint') current electric car technology is.

First and foremost is the use of some materials (lithium and some other 'strategic materials') that don't have the best cradle to grave reputation (and for good reason) and carry certain geopolitical penalties.

Some of y'all probably know this, but the rather rapid shift from AlNiCo (an alloy of Aluminum, Nickel, and Cobalt) to ceramic magnet materials for loudspeaker drivers wasn't driven by technology, but rather with constriction of the supply (and consequent price spikes) for the strategic material cobalt. I think cobalt may factor in Li-ion battery production, too.

Mining the necessary raw materials isn't a particularly green industry, either.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2019
    deronb1 wrote: »

BINGO!!!

This forum is WAYYYY too Right.

Is it not wrong to fill the mind of a challenged young girl with a bunch of crap and convince her the world is coming to an end before she has a chance to turn 30, because of something that has not been shown to be true?

Seems to me that the best thing would be to help her grow and be productive rather than fearful and afraid.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited September 2019
    Thank you @mhardy6647 for rescuing the thread, which was headed in a very sad direction.

Until we get around to massively recycling or repurposing large lithium ion batteries, we won’t be able to assess the environmental impact of EV’s, which is partly to blame for my preference for Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles. I doubt that those will ever happen now, but it’s not as if the petroleum industry is the cleanest of industries either. It’s pretty much filthy.

There were lot’s of interesting points made before everything veered off to climate denying and hating on a teenager.

Your own point about Musk is a valid one, IMO. He does overstate his case constantly, but possibly, so did you. He consistently exaggerates the capabilities of Autopilot (which is actually Level 2 adaptive cruise control), and he exaggerates the capabilities of the newly released summon feature. And yet, from 2012 to the present day, his vehicles remain very relevant, and their advanced adaptive cruise control (ACC) features are equal to the best of what is available in other luxury vehicles. His spacecraft are also impressive, his balance sheet is not. So he’s not quite the charlatan, since there is some verifiable success in his endeavors, but he is a bit of a showman.

When one examines what he has done with solar roof panels and the incredibly attractive solar roof tiles, as well as the Powerwall batteries (one way to recycle EV batteries, which Nissan/Renault have done as well), there is much to like about his products.

Just recently, he launched the possibility to install a solar roof for a mere $65/mo to $130/mo (1,500 ft² to 3,000 ft² homes) “rental” fee.

ICE motors, by contrast, have had to add dual turbos to maintain interest, and nine or ten speed transmissions to improve fuel efficiency, and yet, they still pollute to some extent. Not only does the mechanical complexity increase significantly with these new technologies, but imagine the cost of replacing one of those transmissions!
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2019
    Until we get around to massively recycling or repurposing large lithium ion batteries, we won’t be able to assess the environmental impact of EV’s, which is partly to blame for my preference for Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles. I doubt that those will ever happen now, but it’s not as if the petroleum industry is the cleanest of industries either. It’s pretty much filthy.

I could see myself buying into Hydrogen as a fuel source. The only gripe I have with EV is the horrific damage strip mining for rare earth elements to make batteries does and the unknown issues of recycling and disposing of them. Sometimes the devil you know is far better than the one you get stuck with later on. All the talk about range and such is something the consumer needs to be smart about when they make their choice to buy a vehicle.

Here in CA, there is a push to ban gasoline sales and the vehicles that use it by 2035. I think the consumer should be the one to decide how to spend their money.... Then again, the privately owned automobile may go extinct by 2040 anyway.

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    The problem with hydrogen, to my mind is that, to the best of my knowledge, it has to be used as such. 2H2 + O2 -> 2 H2O. The thermodynamic equilibrium lies way to the right (in other words, it's an efficient and spontaneous oxidation reaction) and a fair amount of energy per mol of hydrogen is generated by oxidizing it to water... and, of course, no C-H bond oxidation, so no CO2 generation, and no N-H bond oxidation, so no NOx generation...

BUT

1) it would be really nice to generate hydrogen in situ, e.g., electrolysis of water, but that's thermodynamically unfavorable and not practical in a small platform like a car -- so the hydrogen powered vehicles use refrigerated (high pressure, low 'temperature') liquid hydrogen as a fuel source.

2) The activation energy barrier is high. The reaction only goes if some energy - usually in the form of a spark - is added to the system.

then...

dmhg74dqkj96.png

So... yeah... I am not crazy about hydrogen as a fuel source.