boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited September 2019
    I dont think Polk stocks them anymore.
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    vader540is wrote: »
    gmcman wrote: »
    Congrats on the 2B's....wonderful speakers. My $.02...once you add up the price and time involved in using the stock boards and the RDO-194 tweeters, you will surely kick yourself if you end up with the RD0-198 and Gimpods boards. I would go all-in with the crossover upgrade..(boards and RDO-198).

Here's a pic of the placement guide, facing forward on the same plane and distance from side walls is critical. Actually....the whole setup is critical...and again, absolutely zero toe-in....enjoy.

5rxon44g0nnh.jpg

Would this place be ok to purchase from?

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/polk-sl2500-tweeter/

Yes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vader540is
    vader540is Posts: 177
    edited September 2019
    These things are amazing! I cant wait to set these up in my dinning room they will have a perfect spot for two channel listening.

I played some bass heavy Hip-Hop tracks and I didn't hear any cabinet rattle or noise at all!

I'm very happy with these the way they are and I will put off upgrading them for a couple months and just enjoy them the way they are.

Only issue is when I push in the PR,the speakers retract right away, takes about two seconds. Ill order some hurricane nuts for the PR and two drivers. Where can I find new gaskets? I checked VR3's site and their link is broken to buy new gaskets. Should I remove the old glue in the cabinet or just patch it with new glue? I will also JB weld the magnets and inspect the crossover & note the model # on the drivers.

ye4tdzomo2zl.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Get a flashlight and check all of the rubber surrounds for cracking or splits
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Reuse the gaskets if not torn or compromised. Not nessary to remove the old glue.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    Push the PR in and HOLD IT IN. The mid-drivers will pop out immediately and begin to recede immediately, but slowly.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    Push the PR in and HOLD IT IN. The mid-drivers will pop out immediately and begin to recede immediately, but slowly.

You are correct! I was letting go of the PR too quickly! Thanks again! Now I don't feel so bad about having leaks! So I guess I'll just do the JB weld then.... Should I skip on the hurricane nuts & glue?
  • la2vegas wrote: »
    We have the same exact speakers, except mine have the grills. Regrettably I bought them a year ago but have yet to hear them. :'(

Nice! Why haven't you set them up already? What are you waiting for? I have the grills they are in perfect condition, just took them off for the picture.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Congrats on the new speakers!

Which link by chance was broken?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Nightfall
    F1nut wrote: »

You are correct! I was letting go of the PR too quickly! Thanks again! Now I don't feel so bad about having leaks! So I guess I'll just do the JB weld then.... Should I skip on the hurricane nuts & glue?

Larry's rings. If you can find them.

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Congrats, vader540is, I started my vintage Polk quest exactly 10 years ago with the same speakers. Simple design compared the larger SDA's but they sound quite nice. They'll only get better as you work on them.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • vader540is
    edited September 2019
    VR3 wrote: »

Thanks! I gotta buy some stuff from you!

So I was looking at getting a newer SDA cable as mine will get stuck from time to time and I was also looking for a new gasket.

Here is one broken link I can't find the other one on the gaskets.

https://www.version3audio.com/neutrik-nl4-cables

• VR3 wrote: »

Found the other broken link

https://local.armacell.com/en/armacell-india/

It's on your main page, item # 12
  • F1nut
    As long as the original gaskets are not ripped there's no reason to replace them. They are supposed to be paper thin.

Do the Hurricane nuts and socket head cap screws.

President of Club Polk

As long as the original gaskets are not ripped there's no reason to replace them. They are supposed to be paper thin.

Do the Hurricane nuts and socket head cap screws.

Thanks! Will do.

I need to get a budget amp.

I found this on my local Facebook marketplace...onkyo p-301 & m501for $200 a good deal?
  • Nightfall
    edited September 2019
    Looks like not bad but nothing special. Decent for an extreme budget starter setup. @TroyD liked his. Better than a new $200 AVR if strictly for 2 channel audio.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/onkyo-m-501.396999/

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/24966/short-onkyo-m501-amp-review

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/30366/onkyo-p-301-pre-and-m-501-amp

• Nightfall wrote: »
    Looks like not bad but nothing special. Decent for an extreme budget starter setup. @TroyD liked his. Better than a new $200 AVR if strictly for 2 channel audio.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/onkyo-m-501.396999/

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/24966/short-onkyo-m501-amp-review

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/30366/onkyo-p-301-pre-and-m-501-amp

Thanks! I'll probably check it out this weekend and test it out make sure everything works. Later on I'll definitely upgrade to a better pre-pro and amp.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Want a starter amp? Pick up a NAD 2x00 PE series off eBay (2100-2600, with the 2100 and 2400 being most common). Another option is Adcom, GFA 535, 545, or 555. Or if the budget is a bit tight, Sonance 2120....
  • Geppy has what looks like a nice Parsound HCA-1200 for sale. These HCA amps play real nice with SDA's.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Awesome thank you for all the wonderful recommendations everybody. I decided not to buy the Onkyo... I may have a deal on a parasound Halo ... Something funny happened last night as I was moving my 2b , The interconnect cable is stuck I cannot unplug it on one speaker... I pull on it pretty hard I can wiggle it up and down and it still won't budge almost to the point where the plastic cup starts creaking I feel like I'll just break the plastic cup right off... I have the blade forward/pin type.
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    edited September 2019
    It must be oxidization that is making the SDA cable stiff, either on the pin/blade or inside the plug (or both). I would use contact spray on the plug and plug, unplug, plug, unplug until it stops to be stiff. ..or replace the cable and plugs with speakOn plugs and cable.
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    gmcman wrote: »
    Congrats on the 2B's....wonderful speakers. My $.02...once you add up the price and time involved in using the stock boards and the RDO-194 tweeters, you will surely kick yourself if you end up with the RD0-198 and Gimpods boards. I would go all-in with the crossover upgrade..(boards and RDO-198).

Here's a pic of the placement guide, facing forward on the same plane and distance from side walls is critical. Actually....the whole setup is critical...and again, absolutely zero toe-in....enjoy.

5rxon44g0nnh.jpg

Agree with ^. Did mine piecemeal and paid in spades............
  • vader540is
    edited January 2020
    Alright, I finally got some free time now that the holidays are over. I'm gonna use some JB weld ( unless something is better?) xtfwpnhxqmia.jpg
    on my magnets Tonight. Here are my drivers, they have different part numbers? I'm sure they are different for the SDA to work. I'm a noob and forgot to note which driver goes where? I did note the black & blue wire are on the positive terminal.
  • F1nut
    The MW6511 are the SDA drivers.

President of Club Polk

So those would go on the outside?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471

Yes outside.
    6503 go on inside
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yes outside.
    6503 go on inside

Thanks!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited January 2020
    The 4 ohm 6511s go on the outside. On 4th and 5th generation SDAs, the dimensional circuit is 4 ohm.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • vader540is, welcome to the Polk Audio Forum. You will continue to be amazed by the SDA 2B's.

I missed this thread last year. Everyone who has posted has provided the epitome of how the customer service at Polk should work - we wish. The people at Polk should review this thread and use it as an example to train the customer service personnel. Impressive everyone.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA