Adorama blow out prices on LSiM series

Comments

• [quote="bostonvr6;[/quote]

I just unpacked my 707’s myself yesterday, and I’m far from athletic. Key is to do it on rug or carpet. Put the whole box on its side. Wiggle on the inner box from the outer. Pull from the front, then tip from the back repeatedly. Then cut the inner box open at the top, roll it upside down with the flaps open. Wiggle the box up and off the styrofoam. Cut all the tape. Tip the speaker on its head. Remove the styrofoam at the feet. Then tip onto its feet and remove the top styrofoam and middle styrofoam ring. Slide off plastic cover and cotton cover. Enjoy!
    [/quote]

Thats what a hand truck is for Or you could have followed the directions printed on the Box! :o

Just a quick razz. :) Congrats.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    If I had carpet I’d do it by myself. They are in a concrete storage unit so I’d be too afraid to mar up the finish
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • I also received my LSIM 707's & 706c yesterday. I concur, they are heavy sob's. My UPS driver said what the frak are these boxes. All three were double boxed and arrived in two days with barely a scratch. I was lucky this time.

Photo just for comparison of size difference between 707's - RTiA 7's - SDA 1C's
    ndyafjrqx21e.jpg
    ogdcfnchy71n.jpg

So to the other 707/5 owners that are not bi wiring/amping are you keeping the wire jumpers or are you using something else??
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You're missing a member of the family.....L800's

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Man all these posts of 707s are soooo tempting, must resist!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • The 1C is the best looking speaker of the bunch. Period!
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    Man all these posts of 707s are soooo tempting, must resist!

@rooftop59 They are in the break in period, so far just 26hrs. They are impressive.
    If you have the room, the coin and you can move them (115lbs each) you should seriously consider them.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Prices seem to have gone back up. I was looking at maybe getting the 702's and they all have gone back up
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Prices seem to have gone back up. I was looking at maybe getting the 702's and they all have gone back up

They’ll go back down...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mak99
    mak99 Posts: 362
    edited September 2019
    More to follow, but my initial thoughts from taking deliver yesterday (707s/706):
    • The Adorama double-boxing is a joke on the 707s - only one piece of tape along the flap and nothing else. The Adorama box ends were almost flapped open (not sure that makes sense) and should have been taped along the other edges similar to the Polk factory boxes.
    • UPS shipping sucks - all three outer boxes looked somewhat mangled, with one 707 box having a hole approx 1.5" square thru the Adorama and Polk boxes. Luckily no damage to the speaker.
    • I have yet to open the 706 but the Polk box is crushed in about an inch on two sides. The Adorama shipping box looked better, so makes me wonder how the Polk box was only damaged.

pseudo-Damage - one of the 707's decorative surrounds around a lower oval driver had fallen off, but was snapped back into place. I did see a lot of "used" speakers on Adorama website where many speakers looked to have the same issue. Though this surround is purely cosmetic (to hide the mounting screws I think), Polk could do a WAY better job of making these more durable and not pop off during rough shipping.

I was able to temporarily set up the 707s next to the A7s they will be replacing, swapped the speaker wires over, and play HD radio (NPR/evening jazz) to start breaking them in. I listened for maybe about a half-hour and have to say the sound out-of-the-box is quite impressive. I don't normally just listen to radio on this system (primarily for movies only) but I noticed these 707s just sounded...good. Enough so that I'm tempted to order a second pair at these prices to use in my dedicated two-channel system.

EDIT: as of 7:25pm PST, looks like Adorama's pricing is back up to MSRP...

hlpwgimf43lw.jpg
    ^^ good ol' UPS handling... :(

doyepp2ltila.jpg

abwb6zaylg05.jpg
    ^^ seriously??

ihf066pm0x05.jpg
    ^^ cover that popped off this speaker. The other 707 was just fine.

t38e9d8phdua.jpg
    ^^ size comparison to the A7.

tx0apu070371.jpg
    ^^ will move the A7s out this weekend to get the 707s properly set up and general calibration via Audyssey. Full-blown professional calibration to follow later...

Main HT:JVC DLA-RS45135" Elite Screens fixed frame, 1.1 gainMarantz SR7007 (operating as pre-pro)Emotiva XPA-1 x3 (L+C+R), UPA-7 (surrounds)Oppo BDP-103D/BDP-83Toshiba HD-XA2Panamax M5410 Pro x3Polk LSiM707s, LSiC706, 80 F/X-LS, 65-RTSeaton Sound/MCCA MFW "Turbo" + custom Dayton SA1000 sub amp (orig. AV123 MFW-15)Velodyne SMS-1I/Cs: MP 12ga/4-cond (fronts); MP 12ga (surrounds), MP HDMI (all sources), some BJC sprinkled thruoutHarmony EliteSalamander Triple 40 C/B* still need to sell older but mint gear!!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Wow, My Signature and LSiM's all arrived is SoCal just fine. Then again I do like to pick them up from the hub. if they are on the truck more than an hour they will get tossed around.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    dang! Rock on!!
    Manticore wrote: »
    I also received my LSIM 707's & 706c yesterday. I concur, they are heavy sob's. My UPS driver said what the frak are these boxes. All three were double boxed and arrived in two days with barely a scratch. I was lucky this time.

Photo just for comparison of size difference between 707's - RTiA 7's - SDA 1C's
    ndyafjrqx21e.jpg
    ogdcfnchy71n.jpg

So to the other 707/5 owners that are not bi wiring/amping are you keeping the wire jumpers or are you using something else??

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    mrloren wrote: »
    Wow, My Signature and LSiM's all arrived is SoCal just fine. Then again I do like to pick them up from the hub. if they are on the truck more than an hour they will get tossed around.

Same here, mine arrived in great shape.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • I wonder if these might still be available in a couple of months. I'll be done with my DUI classes by then. Fingers crossed.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    mak99 wrote: »
    pseudo-Damage - one of the 707's decorative surrounds around a lower oval driver had fallen off, but was snapped back into place. I did see a lot of "used" speakers on Adorama website where many speakers looked to have the same issue. Though this surround is purely cosmetic (to hide the mounting screws I think), Polk could do a WAY better job of making these more durable and not pop off during rough shipping.
    Maybe they could...but please believe that both UPS and FedEx put packages through some serious shock at times. The LSiM have some nice cast basket drivers that have awesome thin frames to aid in cooling. However, this is not a great driver when it comes to the stress of shipping given the super heavy motors.
    87676.jpg

At work, we've done shipping tests all over the Country with shock sensors in the box and found issue with both couriers. We would get packages that would look totally fine on the outside but would have large components broken off of our inverters and the extruded aluminum housing bent!!!!

The shock would break off the bridge inductors, transformers, and fans! We've tried all types of foam and the black less brittle rubbery stuff is the best...but still we would get damage at times and started shipping the larger products via freight instead of ground.
    23794782_384474918632003_4390251961683649463_n.jpg

So don't be so hard on Polk, but do point blame and a a finger at FEDEX and UPS!

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mak99
    mak99 Posts: 362
    WLDock wrote: »
    So don't be so hard on Polk, but do point blame and a a finger at FEDEX and UPS!

Fair enough, I may have been a bit hard on Polk, but I'll mostly stand by my beef against UPS :) ! I've shipped many heavy/bulky items thru the years (speakers, various gear) and have had great luck w/ FedEx. So I'm always leery when UPS is involved.

I agree the black rubbery foam is better than the white styrofoam. Both 707's middle styrofoam piece had the worst wear, but they got here without any damage which is key. If I had to ship them again, I don't think they'd do nearly as well - but if these are ever moved again it will be in the back of a vehicle/truck where I'm behind the wheel.

The one surround cover that popped off did take some wiggling/adjusting while putting back in to get all the tabs to seat properly. I can see how other speakers (at least from Adorama's pictures) had the same issue. I believe this design could be improved - instead of a purely-cosmetic rubber cover that has no structural integrity w/ the driver, make it out of black plastic/aluminum/carbon fiber-looking material and secure it with two black screws top and bottom. This might prevent a few returns and/or dissatisfied customers from a $2k speaker, and cost Polk less $$ on warranty issues. Just my two cents...exposed screw heads would not really be a deciding factor for me in purchasing speakers.

Regarding outriggers I mentioned in a earlier post, I'll be installing them on the 707s after I get a wider pair as the SBN7's are quite wide enough (SBN9's will fit the front of plinth).

And for anyone that might be driving the 707s home from the office/UPS depot, they just fit in the back of a second generation Lexus RX!

kwtr7ag2zaao.jpg
    Main HT:JVC DLA-RS45135" Elite Screens fixed frame, 1.1 gainMarantz SR7007 (operating as pre-pro)Emotiva XPA-1 x3 (L+C+R), UPA-7 (surrounds)Oppo BDP-103D/BDP-83Toshiba HD-XA2Panamax M5410 Pro x3Polk LSiM707s, LSiC706, 80 F/X-LS, 65-RTSeaton Sound/MCCA MFW "Turbo" + custom Dayton SA1000 sub amp (orig. AV123 MFW-15)Velodyne SMS-1I/Cs: MP 12ga/4-cond (fronts); MP 12ga (surrounds), MP HDMI (all sources), some BJC sprinkled thruoutHarmony EliteSalamander Triple 40 C/B* still need to sell older but mint gear!!
  • Received the 707s, 703s and the 706 yesterday and the UPS guys where hilarious. They had all but one of the 707s on one hand cart that was being held together with a bungie cord. Ended up dropping one of the 703 into the street that I picked up myself and carried inside. So far no damage that I can find. I wasn't expecting these to be so big, but man, my god they sound incredible and I need more power. The Denon receiver can keep up in stereo but whenever I go into 5.1 they beg for more wattage. I've been rocking a pair of Infinity Monitors for 31 years that I bought in 1988 at the Army PX. They got me through the rest of my time in the military, college and the next 20 years as my mains in a very modest home theatre. So long old friends. Hello my new best friends in the universe. I can't believe the price of these. I didn't know that music could sound this good.
  • You need all the big amps for that setup!
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• I wasn't really ready to make the purchase and I just stumbled on the deal. I had been looking at buying a full RTI setup that has been in my shopping cart for over two years when this deal came around. Current plan is to get the Onkyo RZ-840 and a three channel amp to power the fronts. I'm also looking to get a couple 700LS height speakers for a 5.1.2 Atmos. I feel the receiver can handle those back four channels in my small room setup.
  • mrloren
    I'd stay away from Onkyo, they've had HDMI board problem the last few years. Denon Marantz or Yamaha is what a lot of people like. A4L can make thing more affordable https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

For an amp Emotiva and Monoprice monolith are good entry level amps that will rock those 707's you can only go up from there.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Main reason for the onkyo was for the Sonos integration and "supposedly" the new amps have better hdmi boards. I know it's not the most sound reasoning for choosing an amp. No pun intended. But I'm probably a couple of months from that purchase unless I run into another insane deal like the speakers so there is plenty of time to look into some other amps.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    edited September 2019
    Main reason for the onkyo was for the Sonos integration and "supposedly" the new amps have better hdmi boards. I know it's not the most sound reasoning for choosing an amp. No pun intended. But I'm probably a couple of months from that purchase unless I run into another insane deal like the speakers so there is plenty of time to look into some other amps.

I ran Onkyo during the bad HDMI period. The units ran real warm, REAL warm. After my out of warranty fix, I started running laptop fans on top of all my gear. No issues after that.

Nice purchase! Welcome to club Polk.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mrloren
  • So @mrloren how do you like these? If you had to buy again would you get the same model or a few models up?
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    @mrloren those are pretty sweet.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2019
    I just posted this earlier today but it’s applicable here too

1dse4muy44tw.jpeg

Have two, one for me B&K (not really needed but why not), and one for my Denon.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrloren
    I do like them, they do their job very good. I got the S8 on top of both my AVR's. Just 3 push of a button and they are in automatic mode. I didn't like the one's with the digital display, just another distraction.

At full power they are a little loud but most of the time they don't go beyond 50%. Yesterday was a little warm out 80f+ and I had music going all day around -17db, it never went past 50%
  • Do either of you find the light on these fans distracting if close to your TV?
    I am asking because my AVR is directly below my TV screen and from what I've read the light can not be dimmed.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2019
    Light isn’t a big deal, but electrical tape or window tint stickers would fix it if it bugs you.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Thanks Dan! :)
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's