Adorama blow out prices on LSiM series

Comments

• mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,128
    I'll have to make do with my XPA3 on my 705's. Only reason I was able to get them was the heavy discounted price.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mak99mak99 Posts: 329
    Slightly OT, but wanted to know if any current 705 or 707 owners have installed outriggers such as the SoundoCity SBN series. My current A7s have SBN9 up front, SBN7 rear. SoundoCity website indicates the 705 uses SBN7 up front, SBN9 at rear so I might be okay to use these on the 707.

I can also post this question in the general Speakers forum but thought I'd ask here first...thanks in advance!
    Main HT:
    Epson 5020UBe
    135" Elite Screens fixed frame
    Marantz SR7007
    Emotiva XPA-100 x3 (fronts), UPA-7 (surrounds)
    Oppo BDP-103D/BDP-83
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax M5410 Pro x2
    Polk LSiM707s, LSiC706, 80 F/X RT (80F/X Ls needs installing), 65-RT
    Seaton Sound/MCCA MFW "Turbo" (orig. AV123 MFW-15)
    Velodyne SMS-1
    I/Cs: MP 12ga/4-cond (fronts); MP 12ga (surrounds), MP HDMI (all sources), some BJC sprinkled thruout
    Harmony 1100
    Salamander Twin 30 C/B

* FOR SALE NOW: Onkyo TX-SR805, CSi40, Harmony 890 Pro NIB, Harmony One NIB
  • stangman67stangman67 Posts: 1,295
    I have about a year to figure out what I’m gonna power my 707s with. Gonna be in a ht situation so likely a receiver to start and I’ll eventually pick up a budget three channel for the front end
    2 Channel - Major reduction complete

KEF LS50W I Rega P6 w/ Ania MC I Rega Fono MC I Audience Ohno ICs

• Inspector 24Inspector 24 Posts: 1,229
    mak99 wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but wanted to know if any current 705 or 707 owners have installed outriggers such as the SoundoCity SBN series. My current A7s have SBN9 up front, SBN7 rear. SoundoCity website indicates the 705 uses SBN7 up front, SBN9 at rear so I might be okay to use these on the 707.

I can also post this question in the general Speakers forum but thought I'd ask here first...thanks in advance!

I bet those help the A9's a lot. The spikes are pretty chincy.
    Dunno about the 707, they look a LOT beefier and are adjustable with a hex wrench from above. They look plenty adequate.
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,221
    DSkip wrote: »
    All you guys saving big on these LSiM 707 should really take that savings and get a T+A amp to light them up. I’m talking about older used units of course. New ones are north of $20k.

Nothing on Ebay or audiogon, and I'm sure they're well out of my price range, the only reason it's happening now is they're so cheap! I wish 'saving' $3700 meant I had it to spend! I guess they'll have to make do on the 3500. :p

They are rare. Erniejade bought my unit for about a tenth of that $20k figure. Keep it on your radar and if one comes up, do not hesitate to snag it if you really want to hear what those 707 can do. It will justify their original price tag and might even make them seem like a bargain.

I’ve heard many LSiM setups - too many to count - and nothing can close to that pair. The 703 didn’t match as well but was still Pretty nice. I’d look at other options for that model.
    Interesting. I'm into my 3500 a few pennies, Big Sky Audio upgrade pennies, it had better be one sweet deal when I find it!
    Down

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000
    Interesting. I'm into my 3500 a few pennies, Big Sky Audio upgrade pennies, it had better be one sweet deal when I find it!

Not to diss the Parasound because it is nice, but the T+A gear is a different level. T+A is one brand I wouldn’t mind representing at some point. The only time I wasn’t a fan was when I heard it paired with Magico. Norma is still tops for me, but with the right synergy T+A is right there.
  • Geoff4rfcGeoff4rfc Posts: 1,778
    edited September 15

Not to diss the Parasound because it is nice, but the T+A gear is a different level. T+A is one brand I wouldn’t mind representing at some point. The only time I wasn’t a fan was when I heard it paired with Magico. Norma is still tops for me, but with the right synergy T+A is right there.

The PA 3100 HV looks pretty sweet...….hook me up man, actually, the A 3000 HV looks pretty sweet too
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

HT
    Source: Oppo 103 - Display: Samsung QLED 65F
    Pre/Processor: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2

2CH
    Emotiva: ERC 3 connected via XLR's

Speakers
    PolkAudio Mains: LSiM707, C-706, SS: 702F/X, RS: RTiA9

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is
  • DSkip wrote: »
    heard many LSiM setups - too many to count - and nothing can close to that pair. The 703 didn’t match as well but was still Pretty nice. I’d look at other options for that model.

Out of curiosity... are there any less pricy amplifier lines that you typically recommend for good synergy with the lsim line?
    edited September 15

No diss at all! At $20k new it should walk over anything From Parasound and give eargasms doing it!

Also curious what you think a good amp pairing or the LSiM series.
    Down

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000
    For the 703 I like the Dayens Menuetto. The 703 likes a more linear sounding amp because of the bloat in the 40-50 hz range. A used Classe could probably be a great pairing too.

For the 705 I liked tubes. They don’t have to have a ton of power to open up and give you good music. Something like the MastersounD BoX.

For the 707, the only time I’ve heard it ‘wake up’ was on that T+A PA1530R.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,248
    I liked the look of these vertical T+A amps I saw at Axpona:

7hpd6snyjw55.jpg
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."

Is that the kind of amp that would make any good speaker sound amazing? Or is there something special about that particular combination?
    Down

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,117
    Just wish there was a deal link for the 705s in Cherry. Oh well.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mak99mak99 Posts: 329
    I bet those help the A9's a lot. The spikes are pretty chincy.
    Dunno about the 707, they look a LOT beefier and are adjustable with a hex wrench from above. They look plenty adequate.

They really helped on my A7s (don't have A9s), mostly because of the very thick rug that's sitting on the basic carpeting in the room. I had to push down on the top of the speakers to have the spikes pierce thru the rug and carpet into the subfloor. The extra few inches of width of the SoundoCity spikes made for a rigid install.

So that's the primary intent for using the outriggers on the 707's - the extra width for more stability. But I'll wait until I set them up to see if the outriggers are really needed...
    Main HT:
    Epson 5020UBe
    135" Elite Screens fixed frame
    Marantz SR7007
    Emotiva XPA-100 x3 (fronts), UPA-7 (surrounds)
    Oppo BDP-103D/BDP-83
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax M5410 Pro x2
    Polk LSiM707s, LSiC706, 80 F/X RT (80F/X Ls needs installing), 65-RT
    Seaton Sound/MCCA MFW "Turbo" (orig. AV123 MFW-15)
    Velodyne SMS-1
    I/Cs: MP 12ga/4-cond (fronts); MP 12ga (surrounds), MP HDMI (all sources), some BJC sprinkled thruout
    Harmony 1100
    Salamander Twin 30 C/B

* FOR SALE NOW: Onkyo TX-SR805, CSi40, Harmony 890 Pro NIB, Harmony One NIB
    Just by pictures they look a lot more solid than the A9's. I'll post up my thoughts on them when they arrive.
    Down

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Is that the kind of amp that would make any good speaker sound amazing? Or is there something special about that particular combination?

The amp did not sound good on Rosso speakers. It rather stole the magic that the speakers had. On the other hand, the 707 was pure magic. Displayname and Marvin got to hear it as well.
  • Thanks for your reply on amp pairing, skip
  • DSkip wrote: »

The amp did not sound good on Rosso speakers. It rather stole the magic that the speakers had. On the other hand, the 707 was pure magic. Displayname and Marvin got to hear it as well.

I totally agree. That combo really took the 707 to a new level. Sometimes things just mesh perfectly. I thought really hard about taking that combo off Skip's hands. To me is was one of the greatest proving points for anyone that believes specs are all you need to match gear.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
    If I see a good one listed for 10% of retail I'll jump!
    Down

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000
  • ManticoreManticore Posts: 405
    What a bunch of enablers! I love it!!!

Been following the LSiM threads and Adorama sales. One minute its 1999.00 next min its 549.00. Even my wife thinks its crazy. So i bit the proverbial bullet and jumped on 707's a 706c in Mt Vernon cherry for less than 1500. The links @CottageChz posted still work (thanks for posting) so i ordered on Mon. Two days will be here tomorrow on Wed.

Cant wait to hook these up to my 60watt avr and blast them...har har har LOL. Just kidding. Photos to follow.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
    edited September 17

Like I said, the older generation is much more affordable. Right now there is one listed on USAM that I think is probably too high. They don't have the looks of the newer ones, but the sound is definitely there. The problem with nailing down used pricing is that they weren't a widely distributed brand at that time in the US, so availability, original importing fees, and demand (especially considering new T+A pricing!) will all add value to these units.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649537301-ta-pa1260r-integrated-amplifier/
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,681
    edited September 17
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,736

Like I said, the older generation is much more affordable. Right now there is one listed on USAM that I think is probably too high. They don't have the looks of the newer ones, but the sound is definitely there. The problem with nailing down used pricing is that they weren't a widely distributed brand at that time in the US, so availability, original importing fees, and demand (especially considering new T+A pricing!) will all add value to these units.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649537301-ta-pa1260r-integrated-amplifier/

While that's not 10% of retail, it is 46%. Maybe time to jump @Inspector 24 . :)
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,091
    I am still digging the T+A. I am not currently running polks now but, I did run the T+A on SDA and LSI25 Both sounded fantastic. I agree on whats being said here. Polk and T+A in general has an amazing synergy.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

Got my 706 today, 707s coming tomorrow. Adorama double boxed the speaker which I am happy about. It was definitely dropped a few times as the styrofoam endcaps arw destroyed. The speaker looks bo worse for where tough.

Polk definitely needs to step up their packaging game, the styrofoam is as cheap as it gets and doesn’t survive typical shipping conditions. My focal 926 (a lower MSRP series than the LSiM) came packed exquisitely with nice softer styrofoam with some give. I’m sure Polk has lost plenty of revenue from shipping damage with this line

• EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,515
    The first 706C shipped to me by ground was destroyed. Needed to be double boxed at least but there really was not enough styrofoam to protect a cabinet that large. The replacement was not double boxed but was sent next day air and arrived perfect without a mark on the box. The 707s are packed much better from the factory.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
    I just realized how garbled my previous post is. Sorry for that, posting from my phone apparently is a terrible strategy

702’s arrive today, 706 And 707 Monday, shall we place bets on whether or not they arrive unharmed??
    Down

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000