New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Internal??? How about the external.

Height48.6" (123.44 cm)
    Width17.94" (45.57 cm)
    Depth17.38" (44.15 cm)
    Weight118 lbs (53.52 kg)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    They do have these and the specs on the Polk website under Home Audio.
  • ptrooper wrote: »
    Can't wait to put my ears on these down under .....What equipment and cables were used on the L800's
    at the RMAF?
    Sorry if this has already been asked!

Ya I'd like to know the exact marantz gear used too. It looks like some of them are av models.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    Ken Carter is not with Polk, he moved to Def Tech.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    TopperDude wrote: »
    ptrooper wrote: »
    Can't wait to put my ears on these down under .....What equipment and cables were used on the L800's
    at the RMAF?
    Sorry if this has already been asked!

Ya I'd like to know the exact marantz gear used too. It looks like some of them are av models.

A Marantz AVR or pre/pro, a Marantz multi-channel amp and the Marantz SA10.

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    F1nut wrote: »

Oops, sorry.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Traitor....lol kidding.
    I do hope polk allowed for non common ground amps,i see no warnings on rear or dreadnaught centre of cable.interesting.
    Drugs and mirrors must be involved. :D
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    They have just been announced. Let’s see how they settle down over the next month or so.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • @F1nut

I don't recall seeing this question asked of you in any of the 698.3 threads on the L800s. So, sorry if I missed it.

How did the L800s compare to your modded SDA SRS 2.3TLs?
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    @F1nut

I don't recall seeing this question asked of you in any of the 698.3 threads on the L800s. So, sorry if I missed it.

How did the L800s compare to your modded SDA SRS 2.3TLs?

Difficult to say as my listening time was brief and some of the music I was not familiar with. I can say I didn't hear anything objectionable and they are definitely SDA's.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    F1nut wrote: »

True, but he did pop up a coupla days ago doin' some impromptu customer support "here"!

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2533232#Comment_2533232
    (or is this yet another 'Ken'?)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    @F1nut True, I am with Definitive now, but I still know everything that goes on with Polk, Denon, Marantz, and Classe. We are all in the same office. I sit next to the Brand Manager for Polk. I still want to help out when there are issues.

I reached out to the customer on the 9th, I am looking into it for him.

Also, glad everyone is excited about the new Polk Legend speakers, the team has been working hard on them for a long time!

Ken, nice to see you here! Hey, does anyone at Polk have any feedback for anyone here claiming to have particular "titles" or "offices" related to this forum? Because otherwise, I'd swear that my "Grand Poobahness" outranks anyone claiming to be, say, "President". Is this true?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Kurt300 wrote: »

Ken, nice to see you here! Hey, does anyone at Polk have any feedback for anyone here claiming to have particular "titles" or "offices" related to this forum? Because otherwise, I'd swear that my "Grand Poobahness" outranks anyone claiming to be, say, "President". Is this true?

You gotta be joking, right?

Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    @F1nut True, I am with Definitive now, but I still know everything that goes on with Polk, Denon, Marantz, and Classe. We are all in the same office. I sit next to the Brand Manager for Polk. I still want to help out when there are issues.

Also, glad everyone is excited about the new Polk Legend speakers, the team has been working hard on them for a long time!

@KenCustomerService @meganpolkaudio Is there any chance for a demo of the Legends in Vista? There are more members than I in SoCal, maybe have a demo day :)
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    mrloren wrote: »

@KenCustomerService @meganpolkaudio Is there any chance for a demo of the Legends in Vista? There are more members than I in SoCal, maybe have a demo day :)

Agreed... I have spoken to a few dealers that are part of the distribution channel Polk will be using for these speakers, and there is not one within 200 miles of Los Angeles that plans on carrying Polk Audio....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • @nooshinjohn and @mrloren

Once the Polk brand guys get back from CEDIA next week I will talk to them about that.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2019
    @nooshinjohn and @mrloren

Once the Polk brand guys get back from CEDIA next week I will talk to them about that.

This should be huge concern Ken. They are not a distribution channel as much as they are an association of retailers. As such, the individual proprietors decide what will sell or showcase within their locations. Based upon what I see, this will not be a good way to get these new speakers into the marketplace.

Here in L.A. it is all driven by aesthetics first, and everybody carries B&W or Martin Logan. Polk is not viewed by these dealers as being from even the same planet, and not worth a mention. The dealer closest to me has recently pushed Magnepan to the side not because his new lines sound better, but because nobody wants their look in their homes, and he was the number one Maggie dealer in the world.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

That gentleman you are referring to was club President LOOOONG before you signed up. I also bestowed the "Grand Poobah" title on him before your 2013 join date....
    But hey do not let that stop your righteous self important'ness.....

Good grief you have not been back from your self exile long and already back at it...
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    Agreed... I have spoken to a few dealers that are part of the distribution channel Polk will be using for these speakers, and there is not one within 200 miles of Los Angeles that plans on carrying Polk Audio....
    Wow! I'm no sales or marketing professional but the Director of Sales needs to resolve that with a quickness. Man, the headquarters is in the same State. Someone need to pound the pavement. What are we talking.... 17-18 million people in the LA - Long Beach area! There are many Audiophiles out that way. Also, they need to make it to ALL of the shows over the next year, CES, AXPONA, LA Audio Show, NY Audio Show, Capital Audio Fest, Long Beach, etc.

RMAF put Polk on notice with some in the audiophile community. Keep it going!

Many of these younger (and older) wealthy types may not know anything about Polk audio and don't see the brand as a boutique audiophile brand. The only way to change this is to get the product in that realm an give them a chance to listen to it. Polk may have to give some of these leery dealers some leverage from the norm to get them to comment or offer a trial period or something before committing to a contract.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • @nooshinjohn

ProSource is the largest specialty and consumer-electronics merchandising group in the United States. They will do well for us. The new Legend speakers are in a good spot.

@motorhead43026

I am, thank you! Hope you are too!

@Kurt300

I can't comment on the titles, I don't know if they are self proclaimed or not. No one is moderating the Forum currently so I would think they are not officially appointed by anyone here at the organization.

@pitdogg2

I think Kurt was asking a legitimate question.

• Kurt300
    edited September 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

That gentleman you are referring to was club President LOOOONG before you signed up. I also bestowed the "Grand Poobah" title on him before your 2013 join date....
    But hey do not let that stop your righteous self important'ness.....

Good grief you have not been back from your self exile long and already back at it...

Pitdogg2, I guess you did not know that my account was deleted (in error, it seems?), and quickly reinstated in 2013, but without my previous postings. It's nice to see you here, too. :) As far as righteousness and self-importance, my claim of "title" is in jest, but those labels fit others quite nicely. Thank you again for your help in pointing that out.
  • Kurt300
    DSkip wrote: »
    @nooshinjohn

ProSource is the largest specialty and consumer-electronics merchandising group in the United States. They will do well for us. The new Legend speakers are in a good spot.

I've already reached out to them to try and become a Legend dealer. We shall see what happens, but I have a feeling I'm swimming up a river where the current is too strong. They mostly deal with integrators, which I am most decidedly NOT.

Skip, I think you should simply point out to them that the greatest weakness Polk encountered in selling the high dollar LSiM line was lack of accessibility of demos. They need to avoid repeating this mistake. Should be a slam dunk (in my admittedly dealer-naive view).

I'm glad F1 is organizing the demos of the 200s. We need more of this type of thing. But they really need more retail presence as well.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2019
    And those of us that don’t want integration and simply want to hear and buy Speakers? Most integration firms I know of don’t even have a retail space. Their website is there to support members yet contains no links for the consumer to find one of their members.

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    DSkip wrote: »
    @nooshinjohn

I've already reached out to them to try and become a Legend dealer. We shall see what happens, but I have a feeling I'm swimming up a river where the current is too strong. They mostly deal with integrators, which I am most decidedly NOT.

Hopefully this works out for you/us. I for one wouldn’t mind a little trip to Texas to hear the new SDAs in a property set up space

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • @nooshinjohn

The only spot right now that will have the Legends to demo is:

Reel Time Audio Video
    26381 Via De Anza
    San Juan Capistrano, CA, 92675
    949-240-0555

We are always adding more dealers and especially after CEDIA happens this week, we will have more to add.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    In San Diego county we had Fry's which had some Polk's. Now we are stuck with Best Buy, no demo's there at all. There are a few high end shops but unless you pull up in a Benzs or BMW they try to get you out of the store.

For the Signature demo I had to go to Polk in Vista. They were very kind gave us a tour and a great demo of the Signatures. Month later I got them from Arorama.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music