Polk Signature S60 vs Polk LSiM 705 for HT

Options
13»

Comments

• shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    I love my 705s and the tweeters are right at seated ear level.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    Luckily the decision to not exchange for the 707's was made for me. The price went up from 549 to 849 over the course of a day that i was thinking it over. Its a sign i guess. Ill just stay happy with the 705s. (of course ill keep an eye out on the 707 pricing for the next 30 days of exchange period haha)
  • dkhc
    dkhc Posts: 15
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    Sorry I couldn't reply, was busy at work.

I had the S60 for over 2 years, They are a very nice speaker that are hard to beat for the price. I thought they were going to be the last speaker I ever purchased.

Then comes the Adorama sale on the LSiM. For some reason the wife agreed to letting me get them :)

with my RTi-8 wife said "oh speakers again". with the S60 wife said "they look better". With the LSiM-705 wife said "these look great and have a big sound to them". Kids like them too. My future son-inlaw is a classical music nut. They came over, I dropped in a SACD dude said "oh my" sat down and started listening.

My thoughts on the 705 vs the S60 is the 705 is a much better speaker. I am about 50/50 music/movies. These do very good with both. If I had to pay retail I'd get the S60. At these prices the 705 are the way to go.

Is there a reason for wanting the Denon 6500? It's a fine AVR but if you're already thinking of an amp go for a Marantz 7705 pre-amp then add a good amp.

Amp choices are all budget dependent. If you'r going 7.1.2 then a Monolith 9 or XPA9 would fit the bill, I'd go for the Monolith as it has more power to the surrounds.

I use an XPA 3 for my front 3 and drive everything else with my AVR-X4400H in my 5.1.4 setup.

Sub, if all you'r doing is HT then one or two HSU or SVS sub

BTW; the 706C is one big center speaker, plan for a lot of room for it. I had to get the 704C wife said no to me building a new TV stand. I've had 704C for the week + I don't miss the CSiA6 at all.

Welcome to club Polk, we will help you spend your money. In the end you'll be broke but have one nice system to listen to.

On last thing. the day you receive your speakers open them up to inspect them, make sure there is no shipping damage.

Hey @mrloren, I was wondering if you tried pairing the S60's with the 706C. I'm still building my media cabinet so I haven't set up my signatures yet but I went and bought a 706c just in case. If you tried it and they don't play nice, then I'll just sell the 706C off as " new in unopened box". I'm sure someone here in Canada would like to get their hands on it.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited September 2019
    Options
    [/quote]
    Hey @mrloren, I was wondering if you tried pairing the S60's with the 706C. I'm still building my media cabinet so I haven't set up my signatures yet but I went and bought a 706c just in case. If you tried it and they don't play nice, then I'll just sell the 706C off as " new in unopened box". I'm sure someone here in Canada would like to get their hands on it.[/quote]

No never tried the 706 with the Signatures, I did use a CSiA6 and that went good with the Signatures but not the LSiM 705. Signatures are in between LSiM and RTiA line, it might play nice. Make sure to run calibration first. I ran into my problem with the CSiA6 when I put on a SACD in pure direct, epic fail. In AFD is was almost listenable. The 704C for now is doing it's job well I do need to build my new stand still.

I started my new cabinet but had to scrap it. I leaned some boards up and didn't lean one far enough. turned to get another board and one came down cutting my leg knee to ankle. I'm just this week getting able to walk normal. It was a rather gnarly event. Me being the dummy wrapped it in paper towel and continued working. Between the blood loss and pain I did a poor glue up. Next day it went into the dumpster. I'll start again in a few weeks.
    dkhc wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »
    Sorry I couldn't reply, was busy at work.

I had the S60 for over 2 years, They are a very nice speaker that are hard to beat for the price. I thought they were going to be the last speaker I ever purchased.

Then comes the Adorama sale on the LSiM. For some reason the wife agreed to letting me get them :)

with my RTi-8 wife said "oh speakers again". with the S60 wife said "they look better". With the LSiM-705 wife said "these look great and have a big sound to them". Kids like them too. My future son-inlaw is a classical music nut. They came over, I dropped in a SACD dude said "oh my" sat down and started listening.

My thoughts on the 705 vs the S60 is the 705 is a much better speaker. I am about 50/50 music/movies. These do very good with both. If I had to pay retail I'd get the S60. At these prices the 705 are the way to go.

Is there a reason for wanting the Denon 6500? It's a fine AVR but if you're already thinking of an amp go for a Marantz 7705 pre-amp then add a good amp.

Amp choices are all budget dependent. If you'r going 7.1.2 then a Monolith 9 or XPA9 would fit the bill, I'd go for the Monolith as it has more power to the surrounds.

I use an XPA 3 for my front 3 and drive everything else with my AVR-X4400H in my 5.1.4 setup.

Sub, if all you'r doing is HT then one or two HSU or SVS sub

BTW; the 706C is one big center speaker, plan for a lot of room for it. I had to get the 704C wife said no to me building a new TV stand. I've had 704C for the week + I don't miss the CSiA6 at all.

Welcome to club Polk, we will help you spend your money. In the end you'll be broke but have one nice system to listen to.

On last thing. the day you receive your speakers open them up to inspect them, make sure there is no shipping damage.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    Soooo I couldn’t resist the 707’s for $549. I returned my 705’s yesterday, same day the 707’s arrived.

Packing and unpacking wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but the 707s definitely gave me a workout.

Just couldn’t shake the feeling of always wondering, should I have gone for the 707’s? Now I won’t have to wonder. :-)

94wbszad8vxo.jpeg
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Congrats on the new speakers, but I dunno about "looking good". Center on the floor, speakers toed in extremely like that and close together. I know it may be temporary though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Congrats on the new speakers, but I dunno about "looking good". Center on the floor, speakers toed in extremely like that and close together. I know it may be temporary though.

haha yea i agree absolutely DOES NOT look good! Not even close to final.

Those towers are going to be moved. Thats just where they ended up after unboxing, damn things were heavy for me to maneuver alone on carpet. The white outlet covers on the wall to the right and left in the image is closer to where they will be, where the speaker wiring comes from.

Need new TV, AVR, 3 Channel Amp, stand for Center Channel, and sofa set still. Probably wont be done until spring.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I remember when I got spanked pretty hard when I had temporarily set my new amp on it's shipping box! :)

Congrats Boston! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,685
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    I remember when I got spanked pretty hard.

*WINK*
  • tonyb
    Options
    bump
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    bump
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    when you got spanked, was it with a T+A amp? been thinking of getting those. :-P

https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/
  • tonyb
    Options
    bump
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds