Polk Signature S60 vs Polk LSiM 705 for HT

Options

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    bostonvr6 wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »
    Sorry I couldn't reply, was busy at work.

I had the S60 for over 2 years, They are a very nice speaker that are hard to beat for the price. I thought they were going to be the last speaker I ever purchased.

Then comes the Adorama sale on the LSiM. For some reason the wife agreed to letting me get them :)

with my RTi-8 wife said "oh speakers again". with the S60 wife said "they look better". With the LSiM-705 wife said "these look great and have a big sound to them". Kids like them too. My future son-inlaw is a classical music nut. They came over, I dropped in a SACD dude said "oh my" sat down and started listening.

My thoughts on the 705 vs the S60 is the 705 is a much better speaker. I am about 50/50 music/movies. These do very good with both. If I had to pay retail I'd get the S60. At these prices the 705 are the way to go.

Is there a reason for wanting the Denon 6500? It's a fine AVR but if you're already thinking of an amp go for a Marantz 7705 pre-amp then add a good amp.

Amp choices are all budget dependent. If you'r going 7.1.2 then a Monolith 9 or XPA9 would fit the bill, I'd go for the Monolith as it has more power to the surrounds.

I use an XPA 3 for my front 3 and drive everything else with my AVR-X4400H in my 5.1.4 setup.

Sub, if all you'r doing is HT then one or two HSU or SVS sub

BTW; the 706C is one big center speaker, plan for a lot of room for it. I had to get the 704C wife said no to me building a new TV stand. I've had 704C for the week + I don't miss the CSiA6 at all.

Welcome to club Polk, we will help you spend your money. In the end you'll be broke but have one nice system to listen to.

On last thing. the day you receive your speakers open them up to inspect them, make sure there is no shipping damage.

thanks for the info. I’ll look into your amp and preamp suggestions. The reason I was thinking Denon x6500 was 1. It has good video processing and potential for hdmi 2.1 upgrade 2. Not too many good avr’s that can handle the 9 channels I need. 3. If I do an external amp for the L/C/R then the x6500 should be enough to power the 4 remaining surrounds and 2 ceiling speakers as they generally don’t need to get pushed as hard. This would allow me to save money by only needing to buy a 3 channel external amp rather than 9. This is all theory of course, I still need to educate myself on power, amps, pre-amps, etc etc.

Thanks for input on 706c size. I’ll go read the specs and measure before it ships.

The AVR-X6500 will have more then enough power for surround duty with an amp driving the L/C/R. I use a 4400 and a 3 channel amp, it is more than enough. Monolith, Emotiva, Anthem and Parasound all make good 3 channel amps.

One thing not to forget or skimp on is good wiring. This can make or break a system.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    For HT I have to agree with the LSiM suggestions. However, I feel simplicity succeeds and complexity fails. So, keep it simple with a 5.1 HT setup. That is all that is needed for a successful HT.

I do agree to a point. A good 5.1 setup right will sound much better than a slapped in 7.2.4 set up. I have a 5.1 in the bedroom and a 5.1.4 in the family room. both are setup good but not ideal. The family room is much more enjoyable. I've seen it both ways when extra channels have been added. Some systems it makes an improvement and others adding extra speakers ruined the system.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Because Polk's current flagship speakers are on sale now.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bostonvr6
    bostonvr6 Posts: 34
    edited August 2019
    Options

For wiring I got Monoprice 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable. It’s already run through my walls so no turning back now.

Glad do know your Denon 4400 runs your surrounds without issue, I think that helps me feel that I don’t need an external 9 channel amp, and just one for the LCR should do well.

As far as slapped together 7.2.4 systems hopefully you don’t feel a system made of all Polk LSiM and LS is slapped together :-)
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    Why not wait for the Polk Legends? B)
    Why not wait for the Polk Legends? B)

I can’t imagine what those will cost, and who knows when they will be released to retail. Not to say high price equals high quality but I just bought $4200 msrp worth of speaker for $1300. Can’t imagine the legend line will be discounted like that for a long long time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

For wiring I got Monoprice 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable. It’s already run through my walls so no turning back now.

Well that's a cryin' shame. In my opinion, if your going to run in-wall cables, buy a darn good cable off the bat. Least for the front 3 speakers that is.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrloren
    edited August 2019
    Options

Glad do know your Denon 4400 runs your surrounds without issue, I think that helps me feel that I don’t need an external 9 channel amp, and just one for the LCR should do well.

As far as slapped together 7.2.4 systems hopefully you don’t feel a system made of all Polk LSiM and LS is slapped together :-)

What I mean by slapped together is I've seen a lot of people just add speakers for no good sound reason at all. Speakers do need to be place in a correct arrangement or close to it. I've seen people when they run calibration it would error out due to misplaced speakers. One guy his AVR had hookup's for 12 speakers, so what did he do? He hooked in 12 speakers. it wouldn't pass calibration. He some how got it to work, sounded like he stepped on a cat or something gross.

The Monoprice 12AWG is not bad wire, not the best there is but not bad. If it's for surround duty then it's pretty good. The builder of my house used a mix of Belden and Arrow 16awg. To make it work in my rearranged room layout I had to splice in 3 different spots. So yes I'd be happy with a solid run of Monoprice 12awg to each of my surrounds. Use at least some of Doug's Furez ( https://douglasconnection.com/product/furez-12-awg-2-conductor-speaker-cable-raw/ ) for your front 3 if you can. Check Offerup, C/L and eBay for some Audioquest, MIT or Kimber
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • bostonvr6
    edited August 2019
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Well that's a cryin' shame. In my opinion, if your going to run in-wall cables, buy a darn good cable off the bat. Least for the front 3 speakers that is.

Yea unfortunately my builder put a gun to my head out of nowhere about getting him the cables. Even though they sat untouched after I gave them. Home building is an irritating process.

Hopefully they should still be decent, worst case for the fronts I could probably rerun myself following the edge of the carpet or something, but i we’ll see.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Yea unfortunately my builder put a gun to my head out of nowhere about getting him the cables. Even though they sat untouched after I gave them. Home building is an irritating process.

Hopefully they should still be decent, worst case for the fronts I could probably rerun myself following the edge of the carpet or something, but i we’ll see.

If you decide that it's worth your time and effort to run new cables,

The following may work well for you:

Douglas Connections - Polk Forum members get a discount!

Also, from Audio Advisor:

Audioquest

Cardas
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Congrats and you did well.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mrloren
    Options

There's nothing wrong with Mononprice 12AWG speaker wire. It's not CCA but it's not Audioquest. Great wire for the cost. From what I've seen lately a lot of builders putting in this CCA crud in peoples homes.

I would look at something better for the L/C/R
  • bostonvr6
    Options

There's nothing wrong with Mononprice 12AWG speaker wire. It's not CCA but it's not Audioquest. Great wire for the cost. From what I've seen lately a lot of builders putting in this CCA crud in peoples homes.

If i can run the LCR wiring in an elegant way without having to rip open my walls, ill look into it. Might be possible, shall see.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options

You mean that monoprice cable that is known to turn green.....yeah good stuff.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    edited August 2019
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

You mean that monoprice cable that is known to turn green.....yeah good stuff.

The in-wall stuff doesn't turn green I just looked at the ones I've been using here at work for the last 12 years. Now the clear jacket stuff will in 6 months

I'd take the Monoprice stuff any day over that CCA crud my in-laws have running through their house.
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    They arrived pretty damn quick!

iho7yl1pm7el.jpeg
    ub1nrjnw1wj0.jpeg
    jamzspqqu334.jpeg
    l105q0osql2l.jpeg
    r1f8uzcoud85.jpeg
    n42vgkp5qsow.jpeg
    ud0xzby2dlzc.jpeg
    5xd9rgyigztk.jpeg
  • bostonvr6
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I should probably point out that that’s my 52” tv from 2008 sitting on a box used as a tv stand haha, and definitely not my final setup. Aiming for an 85in mounted to the wall in the next few months.

One of the LSiM boxes looked a little beat up but inner box was fine. And woww the 706c center channel is huge. Thinking maybe cutting into the wall a little so it can be recessed back a bit. Will see.
  • mrloren
    Options
    I should probably point out that that’s my 52” tv from 2008 sitting on a box used as a tv stand haha, and definitely not my final setup. Aiming for an 85in mounted to the wall in the next few months.

One of the LSiM boxes looked a little beat up but inner box was fine. And woww the 706c center channel is huge. Thinking maybe cutting into the wall a little so it can be recessed back a bit. Will see.

Don't recess the 706C, it's rear ported. Need at least a foot to breath. Maybe build or buy a stand. Most speakers work their best a least a foot off the wall.
  • bostonvr6
    Options

Don't recess the 706C, it's rear ported. Need at least a foot to breath. Maybe build or buy a stand. Most speakers work their best a least a foot off the wall.

Ah ok, I’ll just figure out a stand for it then. Or maybe a heavy duty shelf I can bolt into the wood studs.
  • halo
    Options

Ah ok, I’ll just figure out a stand for it then. Or maybe a heavy duty shelf I can bolt into the wood studs.

That is an insanely large center channel speaker. They do make dedicated center channel speaker stands, if you are so inclined.

Congrats on the acquisitions! They look superb :)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    halo wrote: »

That is an insanely large center channel speaker. They do make dedicated center channel speaker stands, if you are so inclined.

Congrats on the acquisitions! They look superb :)

Lol yep its big, its practically the size of the towers.

I looked online and found center channel stands so i guess i will be going that route.

Now to start researching amps to power these puppys
  • halo
    Options

Now to start researching amps to power these puppys

I guess that will depend on your budget. A few people here seem to like the Stellar line from PS Audio. You can go with a single 2-channel amp or mono blocks or both (2-channel stereo amp for the mains & a mono block for the center channel).

Many other options out there for you as well. :)
  • mrloren
    Options
    Amps there is an almost endless choice.
    from least expensive.
    Monoprice Monolith, I've only hard the first gen 5CH not bad
    Emotiva, I own an XPA 3 G3 and like it a lot
    Outlaw I've heard the 5000 nice amp for the price it can't be beat. Their bigger amp are more expensive
    Anthem friend has one even makes Kliscph sound decent. I keep asking to trade for a weekend but he won't.
    Parasound A little pricey but great amps

If you're getting a AVR-X6500 I'd try that first then add a good HSU or SVS sub then an amp.

• shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    I am using a D-Sonic amp that has 800wx3 and 400w x4 for my LSiMs.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    Okay im having buyers remorse. The 707's are now only $100 each more than what i paid for the 705's about a week ago. Think its worth exchanging for?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    NO
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Okay im having buyers remorse. The 707's are now only $100 each more than what i paid for the 705's about a week ago. Think its worth exchanging for?

Maybe...read this: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182984/how-my-lsim-707s-sound-to-me-a-review
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Maybe...read this: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182984/how-my-lsim-707s-sound-to-me-a-review

That almost makes me think that it is worth the upgrade.

My room is 15 x 17 with open stairway running accross the back. Not sure if that is too small of a room for the 707's that would cause boomyness that some have reported.
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    NO

Anything specifically why other than no cause its a hassle?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    NO

He thinks the 705s are more balanced top to bottom. I have never heard either tower only owned the bookies so I don't know. But @DarqueKnight has some pretty damn good ears so if I were you I would also be tempted...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • bostonvr6
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    NO

He thinks the 705s are more balanced top to bottom. I have never heard either tower only owned the bookies so I don't know. But @DarqueKnight has some pretty damn good ears so if I were you I would also be tempted...

Yea that review is what got my tempted for sure! Perhaps my room size may make the bigger speakers not sound as good however is what im sometimes reading.
  • mrloren
    Options
    I'd just keep the 705 and be happy with them. I know I'm not having 2nd thoughts.