The Polk Legend Series is coming

Options

Comments

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
    Options
    Im game for a pair of bookies in my music room, but a center probably isnt going to happen.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I would love to be able to sit down with Stu and ask the stupid questions like what made them angle the baffles like that and did they have issues over-coming the directional tendencies of the ring radiator or does the ATMOS array option on the top affect the SDA imaging and if so is that capable of being disabled in 2-channel listening or did they just require a separate input for the ATMOS array which would mean that there's no ATMOS signal reaching the ATMOS array in 2-channel listening so it's muted by default when the SDA imaging would be most desired.

Also, I wonder how difficult it would be to use smaller drivers in a bookshelf and make an SDA array out of it and use a down firing woofer with a rear firing PR with a pair of 5 inch woofers and 22mm tweeters? It'd be a fat little bookie but with the angled baffle you'd save some width. Depth would be no worse than the LSiM703's.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    I can answer the angled baffle question, but later. Gotta be somewhere.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    This is getting confusing, too many threads and posts with the same links in them. :o:p

All part of the fun! 3 threads to keep up with! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited September 2019
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Well...aren't you somethin'?!? ;)
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    Options

Tease, tease, tease....for months. Then, on reveal day, uh....I gotta be somewhere.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Rick88 wrote: »
    This is getting confusing, too many threads and posts with the same links in them. :o:p

All part of the fun! 3 threads to keep up with! :)

Now 4 threads! :)

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187719/crazy-impossible-until-it-isnt-sda-is-back#latest
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • JayCee
    edited September 2019
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »

Tease, tease, tease....for months. Then, on reveal day, uh....I gotta be somewhere.

On second thought....will you be on the live-stream reveal? Hmmmm.....
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • verb
    Options

I took off work early, sitting in my office, rocking the rig, anxiously awaiting the live stream event! :)
  • JayCee
    Options

I took off work early, sitting in my office, rocking the rig, anxiously awaiting the live stream event! :)

Going out to the garage to work on my new power installation...set alarm on my phone and will take a break 10 minutes prior. Anxiously awaiting, too.
  • Jstas
    Options
    I'm gonna hafta find a place local to listen to these. $6K for a pair is steep but if they compare and best my SDA 2B's, then they'll be worth it. Right now, I'm gathering that they are LSiM levels of sonic accuracy layered over the SDA imaging and my imagination is telling me that would be a pretty spectacular speaker. My 2Bs are as pure as SDA got, paired down to the basics. Dynamically, they aren't as stout as the bigger models but they are easy to drive (8W per channel tube amp handled them fine) and the SDA imaging is probably the most pronounced that I've heard because of how basic they are.

That said, my LSiM 703s put the 2Bs to shame in accuracy and dynamic range. However, the 8W per channel tube amp would probably die trying to drive them. But imaging-wise, as good at it as the 703's are, they get trounced by the 2Bs.

So if these Legends combine the driver tech of the LSiM series with the crossover tech of the SDA, even if it wasn't improved over the original SDA, then that's something I want to hear for myself.

My concern is the crossovers. The LSiM crossover networks are some of the best I've seen in a mass produced speaker that hasn't been modded. At the LSiM's price point and above it. The Legend crossover, from Stu's video, is understandably complex but without some detailed look at it, it's hard to say if it's on the same level as the LSiM.

But right now, I'll have to save up a bit, but I'll probably be in the market for these. Which is saying something because there hasn't been a new speaker that I've seen that actually made me want to go check the credit card balance to see if I could fit it on there.

I just did that, about 10 minutes ago.

• verb
    Options
    I've been looking, dreaming, about the holy grail of SDA's, the SRS 1.2TL's!

Still going along that path, ya never know, but this new offering from Polk has got me thinking!

Choices! What fun! :)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    Options
    Mine are available and they are all done with the mods and Dreadnaught.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Ok, I'm somewhere hurrying up to wait.

The baffle is at 15 degrees. Polk wanted to do this on the original SDA's, but technology and cost prevented them from doing so. As we all know the original side by side tweeter SDA's imparted a phasey effect and sound better with the SDA tweeter disconnected. Unfortunately, demo time was limited with the new L800, so I can't say for sure if that issue is there or not, but I didn't notice it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Send me an FF coupon code and I will buy em. JK, I am 9 months out from retirement and am saving for important stuff like hookers and blow.
  • Jstas
    Options

• verb
    Options

I'm in!
    g3u3b8h8cxw1.png
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    Options
    So gotta laugh at myself. I don't have a FB account, but found the livestream on You Tube!

Uh, video is kinda poor, the AVS Forum production kinda amateurish, but, gotta love these Polk guys anyways! :)
    https://youtu.be/LrrNZJrT_CI
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Well, the cat(s) are out of the bag!

Entry level 5 1/4” Polk Legend bookshelf speaker is $1200 for the pair.

The flagship SDA floorstanding speakers are $6000 for the pair but, I’m guessing, that doesn’t include the optional Atmos driver(s) on the top of the cabinet?

Happy to hear about this from Polk! Woot!!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

Pinnacle Ring Radiator Tweeters:
    Decades of tweeter innovation, design and prototyping led to the development of the new 1-inch high definition Pinnacle ring radiator tweeter. Developed by Polk Audio, it delivers ultra-clear, crisp highs without unwanted coloration or distortions. The Pinnacle tweeter features a finely tuned waveguide, which dramatically improves the dispersion of high frequency energy ensuring a broad "sweet spot," while the critically damped rear-chamber helps defeat unwanted resonances. Hi-Res certified, the Pinnacle Tweeter is designed for today's two-channel music listening as well as multi-channel 3D audio found in music, movies, sports, and video games soundtracks.

Turbine Cones:
    Polk developed the new Turbine cone specifically for the Legend series to ensure the natural reproduction of the mid-range--the frequency range human ears are most sensitive towards. The Turbine cone combines Polk's proprietary foam core and the molded Turbine geometry, which dramatically increases stiffness and damping without adding mass, resulting in a smooth, detailed mid-range and effortless bass.

Enhanced Power Port Design:
    Extending the low-end, the upgraded Power Port technology produces less port noise and more bass than traditionally ported loudspeakers. Polk Audio improved the traditional Power Port design by smoothing out the port flare, which offers a smoother transition into the listening area and adds multiple dBs of bass response.

Advanced Cabinet Construction:
    The intensively engineered cabinet designs add rigid bracing and structure to control vibration and eliminate unwanted audible distortion.

Ideal for Immersive Home Theater Systems & Two-Channel Listening, The Legend Series is composed of the L100 5.25" bookshelf speakers, L200 6.5" bookshelf speakers, L400 center channel speaker, L600 tower speakers, L800 SDA tower speakers, and L900 Height/Elevation module, all of which can be used for home theater and two-channel listening applications. The line is fully compatible with today's home theater audio formats including Dolby Atmos, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology, DTS:X and DTS Virtual:X.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    Options
    Very cool! Already on their homepage! :)
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Searched for my nearest Legend dealer... 120 miles south in San Juan Capistrano! About 4 HOURS in L.A. Traffic.

Polk Audio, if you are listening, I will volunteer my home to serve as a demo location in the Los Angeles market. B)

• verb
    Options
    PA Polkies! Lucky Dogs! :)
    apxtrugsgt5v.png
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Wait, wait wait... is that just on that day or are they official dealers? We are gonna be in PA mid October, we may have to stop by if it's permanent!
    Edit: doesn't look like it from the pic. Where is that from Dave?
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    Options
    From the Polk Audio homepage! There's a link to listening events!

None anywhere near Detroit! Closest to me is Chicago!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    So I’m avoiding the mind-boggling thread overload and sticking with this “official” thread from @F1nut, but here is the first, somewhat neutral (not especially enthusiastic) review from Digital Trends.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Manticore
    Options
    Very nice indeed. Looking forward to hearing them.

I hope i don't have to wait 20 plus years to buy them like my 1c's :)
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    So I’m avoiding the mind-boggling thread overload and sticking with this “official” thread from @F1nut, but here is the first, somewhat neutral (not especially enthusiastic) review from Digital Trends.

there was no review in that at all... read more like a press release to me.

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    there was no review in that at all... read more like a press release to me.
    Yeah... true. They don’t really do a listening evaluation or anything, but some interesting details nevertheless, and at least this is a high visibility digital news outlet giving them some exposure.

Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Send me an FF coupon code and I will buy em. JK, I am 9 months out from retirement and am saving for important stuff like hookers and blow.

Good to see someone with a solid grip on his priorities.