4K Blu-ray. Any early adopters out there?

Comments

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited February 2019
    unk2fo03bdov.jpeg
    I finally found this on DTS CD💿in 5.1 at a reasonable price. It sounds AMAZING on the Oppo!
  • k7j46ojzhox1.jpg

Bright is usually the word I would use to describe this CD 💿 overall. Now, while it CLEARLY was eq’d with some tipped up highs. It doesn’t sound so bright and unpleasant. I can hear more information coming through and it actually sounds good. You can definitely hear the presence peak eq’d into Gordon’s voice though!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    cm0levk82h3q.jpeg

My all time favorite track from this group (and the Porcaro family who anchored this group are from Connecticut my home state) ANYWAY on the Oppo Steve Lukather’s voice sounds a bit more three dimensional compared to the Pioneer. The drums have a bit more impact and have a bit more bass. The differences which I’m describing are not huge here and again the Pioneer is not at all embarrassed. On the Pioneer his vocals are a tad thinner sounding and brighter.

If you like Toto (we got somthin' in common after all... LOL) and don't already own it, get this Bluray, it's a very strong performance IMO. I have a BDP-103 and it looks and sounds fantastic.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • 6j7k9s12ypcp.jpg

The Oppo's have been accused of sounding "cold and clinical". I respectfully dispute that now that I've heard this played on the Pioneer and then the Oppo. The Pioneer sounded cold and clinical compared to the Oppo. I thought it sounded just fine in the Pioneer until I decided to just for the halibut play it in the Oppo right afterwards. It sounded so much more warm and musical in comparison and suddenly I didn't want to listen to the Pioneer anymore :'(
  • dodm6788q8pe.jpg

WOW!!!
    Cranked up four db past THX reference level (good thing none of the neighbors are home ;) ) and these MIT S1 cables and this Oppo are showing their quality captain!
  • WHEN IS THIS BLOODY ALBUM GONNA COME OUT ON SACD?!?!?!????!!!?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    jaj8nocd023d.jpg

Just in time 8k will be coming out soon :D
  • honestaquarian
    @pitdogg2
    Let me know when they iron out an 8k standard. Hopefully we won’t be too old to remember what it is😂
  • pitdogg2
    Well they have demonstrated some 8k sets this year at one of the big trade shows. I'd be surprised if some panels are not being sold by the end of next year. JVC i believe has an 8k projector coming out.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    May as well buy a 4K set and enjoy it now instead of waiting for the 8/16/32K set to be finalized and released.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    The 8K sets are already on sale. However just like when 4K first appeared, there was no standard yet in place and now those sets are all but useless.
  • BlueFox
    Hence the word ‘finalized’. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    I'm still not a 4K guy ...'yet'... still plodding along with my Pioneer Plasmas (42" & 55") along with a modded Oppo 103 & 105D (Oppomod - out of So Korea). But I will say this, in the waning days of Oppo 203/205 production I did get myself on the list, and have a 205 in my clutches. Now LG OLED is gen2 with their x9 line... maybe this Christmas/New Year I finally pull the trigger on a 4K TV...? More likely, I save my pennies to have ModWright do a fantastic upgrade on my 205 first, and wait for greater savings on series 2 OLEDs, or buy a gen3 set. In the meantime, still luvin' my 1080p plasma with Darbee Visual Presence.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • BlueFox
    Been watching 4K BluRay with an Oppo 203 for around four years on a 75" Sony Z9D and a 65" 900XBR. Fantastic picture.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Update this Xmas, Mr Hz . . . I promise you won’t look back with regret 😳
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • polrbehr
    So I stepped off the ledge and got into the 4K fraternity last week. So far I'm liking it. A lot. But now I am wondering, since I still don't own any 4K discs or even a 4K capable player, am I better off with a (relatively) cheap 4K BDP, or sticking with my
    Oppo 103 and 1080p Blurays (own about 80) for now?

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• pitdogg2
  • polrbehr
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Get a player
    OK, maybe once the sting of paying for the TV wears off a little LOL
    So is this one any good? If I can get one for the same price at Best Buy I will probably give it a try, as long as it's returnable without return shipping BS...

• pitdogg2
    polrbehr wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Get a player
    OK, maybe once the sting of paying for the TV wears off a little LOL
    So is this one any good? If I can get one for the same price at Best Buy I will probably give it a try, as long as it's returnable without return shipping BS...

it will do to get your feet wet......
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Another option to view 4K content with HDR is through the streaming apps built into most new 4K TV sets. HDR may be more important than 4K. On the audio side there are no real benefits for moving beyond Blu Ray.
  • polrbehr
    edited August 2019
    @Emlyn I'll give them a try, there seem to be choices built into this thing even though it says it's a 2018 model. I may also consider renewing my NetFlix account (unless you want to sell me your 203?? o:) ).

Feet wet, LOL that's a good one, look how long it took me to just get into the world of 4K. And I'm sorry I did now, my 3 other 1080p sets pale in comparison.
    Post edited by polrbehr on

• pitdogg2
    edited August 2019
    polrbehr wrote: »
    @Emlyn I'll give them a try, there are seem to be choices built into this thing even though it says it's a 2018 model. I may also consider renewing my NetFlix account (unless you want to sell me your 203?? o:) ).

Feet wet, LOL that's a good one, look how long it took me to just get into the world of 4K. And I'm sorry I did now, my 3 other 1080p sets pale in comparison.

Trust me I had a second from the top Panasonic plasma and when I laid eyes on the Sony 950 I knew sooner or later one would be mine. INCREDIBLE DETAIL !! I just hope I'm satisfied with my current Dish programming as the Panny sure made it look at times terrible on SD stuff. BUT HD and movies WHOA yea baby B):D
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited August 2019
    I will say this. My sister & her husband bought some 75" ? (a biggun') 4K TV from Costco. Brand escapes me, but man, is that set in need of a calibration! But I've never said anything... I don't want to come off as a snob/pr*ck. They love it, and that's what counts. Besides, they feed me during the holidays. lol ('poor bachelor' syndrome)
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • polrbehr
    Mr_Hz wrote: »
    I will say this. My sister & her husband bought some 75" ? (a biggun') 4K TV from Costco. Brand escapes me, but man, is that set in need of a calibration! But I've never said anything... I don't want to come off as a snob/pr*ck. They love it, and that's what counts. Besides, they feed me during the holidays. lol ('poor bachelor' syndrome)

Next time you go there for the holidays, buy them a calibration disc. Subtle, but maybe they'll get the hint? You'll be doing them a favor.
    I was basically in the same boat with my new 4K (Samsung), one of the first things I did was dive into the settings menu and turn down the retina-scorching colors!