My New LSiM 703s

Adorama's recent LSiM blowout provided an opportunity to satisfy my long-standing curiosity about the LSiM 703s. I was very impressed with the sound quality after the initial brightness went away after six hours.

Music was played at moderate level (70 dB-C) continuously for 80 hours prior to the first critical listening session. Before that milestone was reached, the 703s drew me into the room many times to sit and listen for a while.

72teidzc37z5.jpg
Figure 1. One 703 was returned due to a cosmetic defect in the top left rear corner.
There were some scratches and a long run in the finish coating in that corner. The other 703 was perfect, as was the replacement 703.

Two Channel Listening

ezhm7uurgy63.jpg
Figure 2. For two channel music, the 703s were set up on Metal Technology TMT-30 30-inch stands.

The 703s were placed 6 inches directly in front of the 707s. Center to center spacing was 7 feet - 8 inches. Distance from the rear wall was 32 inches. Distance from the speaker front plane to the listening position was 11 feet.

The 703s produced a sound stage that did not extend forward of the speaker plane nor beyond the outer edges of the speakers nor beyond the height of the speakers. Depth did not extend past the rear wall. However, the sound images within the confines of that small space were very solid and well defined. The center image was particularly strong. Tactile sensation was surprisingly good for a speaker of this size.

Midrange and high frequency clarity and detail were improved by replacing the stock jumpers with my home-made jumpers made of AudioQuest GO-4 speaker cable and AudioQuest bananas.

Bass was surprisingly good, fast, and detailed, with a greater amount of clean, articulate, rumble and growl than I expected.

Movie Soundtracks

qee8f8jxtipn.jpg
Figure 3. For movies, I wanted the 703s in the same lateral plane as the 706c center. They were placed on top of the equipment cabinet.

Of course, I should have moved the 707s out of the room and put the 703s in their place, but I didn't feel like expending that amount of effort for this mini-review.

I also did not rerun the prepro's speaker setup. Even with that transgression, the 703s were not "overpowered" by the 706c center and blended in very well with the 706c center, 702 F/X surrounds, and SVS subwoofer.

When I was redoing (downsizing and upgrading) my home theater system during spring/summer of 2017, I considered using a pair of 703s as surrounds. However, I quickly became enamored of the sound of the 702 F/X surrounds mounted high and the idea of 703 surrounds was ditched.

In my home theater system, going from the 703s, to the 705s, to the 707s resulted in an increasingly bigger, better, and more tightly integrated surround sound stage, with increasing levels of clarity, detail, tactile sensation, and bass quality.

I briefly considered digging out my modified LSi9s to compare to the LSiM 703s, but I recalled how the LSiM 705s stomped my modified LSi15s, and, by way of extrapolation, decided that wouldn't be a good use of my time.

After listening trials were completed, I put on a pair of white cotton gloves, carefully repackaged the 703s, then stored them with the rest of my "out-of-service" Polk speaker collection:

1. SDA SRS (hot-rodded).
2. SDA CRS+ Pair #1 (hot-rodded).
3. SDA CRS+ Pair #2 (hot-rodded).
4. LSiM 705.
5. LSi15.
6. LSi9.

Associated Equipment

LG OLED65C8PUA OLED Television
Yamaha CX-A5100 Preamp Processor
Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray Player
Synology DS918+ NAS
Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player
Revelation Audio Labs Dual Conduit USB Cable1.25m
PS Audio PerfectWave P5 AC Regenerator For Source Components And TV
PS Audio PerfectWave P10 AC Regenerator For Prepro And Power Amps
PS Audio PerfectWave AC-5 Power Cords For AC Regenerators
Two 20 Amp Dedicated AC Circuits
PS Audio Soloist SE In-Wall Power Conditioner For AC Circuit #1
PS Audio Soloist SE In-Wall Power Conditioner For AC Circuit #2
PS Audio Statement SC Power Cords, 2m - 7 Total (PrePro, Front Amp, Center Amp, BDP-1
Surround Amp, Blu-ray, TV)
Adcom GFA-565 SE Power Amp (250 wpc) Surround Speakers
Adcom GFA-565 SE Power Amp (250 wpc) Front Speakers
Adcom GFA-565 SE Power Amp (250 wpc) Center Speakers
Polk Audio LSiM 706C Center Channel Speaker (Biwired)
Polk Audio LSiM 702 F/X Surround Speakers
SVS PB12 Ultra/2 Subwoofer
PS Audio xStream Plasma Power Cord For Subwoofer
Signal Cable Silver Resolution Reference XLR Interconnects for Power Amplifiers
DSR Silverline (9 Gauge) Speaker Cable - 36 Foot Pair For Surround Speakers
50 Feet/Side Monster UL/CL3 In-Wall 12 Gauge Speaker Cable For Surround Speakers
Salamander Quad 30 Audio/Video Cabinet
36 Foot Blue Jeans LC-1 CM Rated In-Wall Subwoofer Cable
AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI 2.0 Cable 2m Prepro To TV
AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI 2.0 Cable 2m Prepro To Blu-Ray
Douglas Connection DCF-92 Speaker Cables, 10 Feet/Side, Center Channel And Front Speakers.

References

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176162/downsizing-home-theater-5-1-to-3-1/p2

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182984/how-my-lsim-707s-sound-to-me-a-review

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176867/another-lsim-705-review

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/183250/tweaking-home-theater-pt-11-douglas-connection-dcf-92-speaker-cables

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/177729/yamaha-cx-a5100-av-preamp-processor-review#latest

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178193/tweaking-home-theater-pt-10-oppo-udp-205-blu-ray-player
Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!

Comments

• Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Thank you. Nice review!
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Dang Ray! Lot of good stuff sitting on the bench waiting to be pulled out and used again lol.

I’m jealous!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    703’s at Adorama sales prices are perhaps the best bang for the buck out there. Very nice speakers.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    As always nice review. You might as well pick up the 704 for $200 to complete the LSiM family. LOL!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    I am considering a second 706c for future use in another HT system.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited August 2019
    Again, another fantastic review from you. Thank You.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    I am considering a second 706c for future use in another HT system.
    The 706 is such a nice center. I though about picking up one again myself...then I would have to get 705's. I don't know... I have some other things I want to try. I'll just have to see how things play out.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • diverdog
    diverdog Posts: 27
    Nice review, I bought 6 to use as surrounds in my new Atmos room. I need to unpack and check them out.