What Listening Chair do you have???

Comments

• TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2011
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Well, I have got the chair that strikes an excellent balance between comfort and price. I know the IKEA POANG was a controversial choice, but in the end, I liked it quite a bit and got a good deal. The leather feels good and I feel the chair fits what I was looking for.

Black wood, Black leather.

poang-chair__37851_PE129808_S4.jpg
    Give us your impressions after a while (comfort and quality level).
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited June 2011
    A solid choice, SS
    I had 3 of those chairs (not as nicely apolstered) that i regretfully lent to my girlfriend-at-the-time's brother and he managed to break 2 of them and spill what looked like an entire pot of speghetti on the 3rd. I feel they are quite comfortable and I could/did sit in them for a good amount of consecutive time.

Hope you like it!
    design is where science and art break even.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2011
    Don't forget the Lexol.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited June 2011
    Yup, I got some left over from my couch.
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2011
    That's the same set up I use. I find it quite comfortable.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    quadzilla wrote: »
    I weigh 230 and am 6'2". Chair fits me perfectly. It doesn't sway, but you can rock in it a bit. So I can rock to the rock while I rock. The chair is actually stronger than it looks, though I admit that I had the same reservations before I bought mine. But then I read the literature, and the chair supports up to 375 pounds. It's very comfortable, and I like the way it looks a lot better than anything else I found, including the Ekornes (or especially, I hate overstuffed furniture). So like everything else we talk about, it all comes down to personal preferance. That, and I can't see a reason to dump 2K on a chair when 200 gets me something I'm more than happy with.
    quadzilla wrote: »
    That's the same set up I use. I find it quite comfortable.
    BTW quadzilla nice little review/report you gave on it.
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited June 2011
    I waited way too long for the same reasons. When I found one around the corner cheap, it was a no brainer. Good value for the money
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited June 2011
    Well, I have got the chair that strikes an excellent balance between comfort and price. I know the IKEA POANG was a controversial choice, but in the end, I liked it quite a bit and got a good deal. The leather feels good and I feel the chair fits what I was looking for.

Black wood, Black leather.

poang-chair__37851_PE129808_S4.jpg

I have that same chair as well, with the ottoman. Funny that so many have chosen the same one!

However... In a few years the wife and I will be downsizing. Once I no longer have a dedicated room, and my gear moves to the living room of wherever we end up, I'll be using the chair that is presently in my family room.

Before my grandmother passed away, she was moving out of her house that she'd lived in for 60-odd years. She was about to throw away my grandfather's old arm chair, with the ottoman. I've loved that chair all my life. It was definitely not in great shape, but I had it professionally reuphulstered in chocolate brown leather, with all new padding. It's good as new, cozy as hell, and was my grandfathers. Once I give up the man-cave, this chair is all I need!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2011
    I absolutely hate any listening chair which is higher than my shoulders, the sound doesn't feel right.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    madmax wrote: »
    I absolutely hate any listening chair which is higher than my shoulders, the sound doesn't feel right.
    I would hate any chair that is lower than my shoulder, totally uncomfortable for my old back/spine.
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited June 2011
    I currently use three bean bags stacked on top of each other - allows for lower back support :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited June 2011
    I currently use three bean bags stacked on top of each other - allows for lower back support :)
    Oh, I thought it was because you are too short and this was your way to do tweeter ear level adjustment. :tongue:
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2011
    Ha ha, bean bag boosters.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited July 2011
    Rex59 reported. Carry on
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited July 2011
    Rex59 wrote: »
    Hi...,
    Yes my dear i have one nice and comfortable chair only in $120.Its color is brown and in good condition.Are you interested in my offer?

ummm, can't sell out of the FS threads and probably no, yeah no will be my guess....
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited July 2011
    poang-chair__46190_PE142932_S4.jpg

This might work and it is only $80 on their website . . . but how comfortable is it? Anyone own one? I can get a foot stool for it too.

This is the chair that I use for viewing movies and listening to music. (leather version with foot stool).
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    I bought a Palliser here and really like it for my listening chair:

http://www.discountleatherchair.com/leather-recliner-ottoman.html

Time for the Palliser listening chair to go. It served me well since 2007 but did not wear well where the vinyl met the leather on the arms. Also, the padding on the seat was not comfortable anymore.

For my new chair I wanted one that was 100% real leather everywhere with a better quality cushion on the seat. I was thinking for audio optimization I wanted a chair with a lower back, but did not find anything for my size that I liked.

Eventually I found a chair made by a company called Fjords which is "the other" Norwegian chair manufacturer besides Ekornes. They cost less than Ekornes but are still real leather everywhere and excellent quality compared to similar style chairs I saw at the big box furniture stores. I demoed the chair and it fit me perfectly and was very comfortable.

Unfortunately, they didn't stock the upgraded leather and colors I wanted so they had to order it from the factory which will take about 3 months to get. The image below is a stock picture. I went with a Mocha color and walnut colored base.

c28rpho2dtyr.png

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    This has been my listening chair/stool for the past week or more... :)
    ymzwrlvg5fvb.png

The newly brought back to life 12b's ( thank you again Chris ;) ) were further apart until the other night. They present an awsome sound stage! I can quickly put them back wider but this picture shows my progress in rearanging my stuff as of last night after working on those AR4x's until 2:30am ;) . I'd bet ANY of you would be amazed at what you'd hear sitting in this temporary bar stool. Amazed with GREAT sound. Yea, there's those Audio shows with $$$$ systems set up just right in empty hotel rooms. I wonder if my messy room sounds BETTER than some of those. I don't know but this little set-up with a cheap JVC Cd player and NAD receiver sure sounds close to perfect for my ears playing the Triton Ones. The whole 18' wide by 10' high wall becomes the sound stage. I've heard that before with the Newform Research r645s also years ago.

I'm easy to please aren't I.
    czqwwopgs1ic.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Tony, you need to check and see if Dynamat comes in 55 gallon drums of a sprayable version. :p
  • Tony M
    Jim, you need come over with a few Cds and sit in this bar stool. :p
  • Polkitup2
    It looks like you have plenty of diffusion on the front and back walls, it should sound airy! :p
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    tonyb wrote: »
    I have a sharper image massage chair, but if you believe less is more, then plop a old style lawn chair down in the middle of the room, throw in an aftermarket cup holder and you'll be golden....providing of coarse that the cup holder is of audiophile quality.:tongue::smile:

That is a little too "less" . . . I would love to find something like an Ekornes Stressless chair that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. It has to be able to keep my butt comfy during long listening sessions.

assembly.stsenatorco.real.main.jpg

http://www.smartfurniture.com/products/Stressless-Senator-Chair.html

That's the chair I have, in tan though.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Polkitup2
    The Ekornes are definitely nice with very smooth recline action. You definitely get what you pay for. Though I think the Fjords at about 40% less would make a lot of people think twice about the Ekornes.
  • Tony M
    I used to have an original Eames chair w/ottoman as my listening chair. I didn't have much back then either. One stereo. ;)

Now I don't have my barstool or maybe I do... if I move the Polk M4's off of it and slide the couch forward a bit. It's now behind my couch out there. The couch slides very easily on the slider-coasters under the feet. Little by little...

My old friend stopped by and we listened some and he helped me move some things around. ;)B) He loved the Polk 12b's A LOT. I knew he would! He's a jazz fanatic from NY. Old-school jazz. B)
    1dmbqmxfv594.png
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    This has been my listening chair for some time now...
    TIL-TRFS1-Black-2.jpg?1555334680
    Not my chair, exactly, but it's close (Image taken from the interweb) :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Tony M
    edited July 2019
    That's them if that's the large version from the 60's. <3B) Mine was dark brown wood though. I didn't know the value though when I gave it away. :s Oh well. It went to a great guy!

I gave it to a boss of mine the day he was moving back to Africa. I hoped he would in-turn give me his Carver TFM35 (?). Nope, he wanted to keep his amp. I thought he was a damn good boss to me for a couple of years and made my life easier than it could've been, so I just said take it, and thanked him for his kindness to me.

I had a nice Lazy Boy recliner. A REAL NICE ONE that took it's place for 30 years more. I still have the Lazy Boy on my back porch. Anybody who has ever sat in it...LOVES how it sits. :D

Same with my couch out in the cottage. It's very comfortable to sit on or lay in to try and fall asleep when the pain was too much years ago.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Natuzzi recliner in gray leather

yui3qs078ruh.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    This is mine. It may explain why I miss half my listening sessions.

4690_bronson_chestnut_recliner.jpg
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • Tony M
    I would miss half of them too. ;)