What Listening Chair do you have???

Options

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2011
    Options
    10 years or so ago I spent $1200 dollars for one of those Scandinavian recliners pictured above. Worst $1200 I ever spent. At 6' 3" I am to tall for it. Rather than the edge of the chair being where my knees are, it is about 6" or so to short. This makes it very uncomfortable to sit in, even with the foot stool, for extended period of time. Now I use it as a coat rack, and let guests use it since they think they are getting the 'good' chair. Ha ha, little do they know.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited June 2011
    Options
    unc2701 wrote: »
    I think you might be worried about the wrong thing- in most residential construction you're not going to over-do the absorption; reflective surfaces are a much bigger issue. The big couch is usually a good thing. If it sounds bad, it's probably because it's making you notice the bad wall reflections MORE since it's creating some space w/o them.

So- if you've already got the couch, I'd invest the cash in new wall treatments, not a new chair.

Unc, my room is fuly treated with Gik Acoustics. I got bass traps and diffusers and plants.

Honestly, another reason I don't want the couch in there is because it would make the room that much smaller.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I agree SS, a big old couch has a footprint of about 3'x10'? I've even got a loveseat that takes up another 3'x6' or so. Thanks for the pic of the chair and ottoman you got at BigLots, it looks like a nice set, especially for the price:) Can you adjust the recline on it?
  • renowilliams
    renowilliams Posts: 920
    edited June 2011
    Options
    This is my powered reclining sofa. It was a great investment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/renowilliams/5643044829/in/photostream
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Don't forget Herman Miller either. A pinch pricey, but wicked comfortable for sitting extended periods.

edit- I was thinking of office chairs from HM. Holy crap at the leather pricing...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2011
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    It is hard for me to understand people that are willing to invest a bundle and more for their gear, room treatment, cables etc... and bails out when it comes to investing in comfortable seating to enjoy the listening from their expensive toys??? High end electronics and then settles for IKEA lower end seating, sorry but... :confused:

Are you stupid? Had to ask based on this stupid comment.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited June 2011
    Options
    This is going in the listening room this fall.

618001284.jpg

$299 at big lots too

Right now I use a club chair and an ottoman, but the chaise will be more comfortable for longer listening periods. It's usually just me in the listening room so this will work well.

I seem to get decent use out of Ashley products. Perhaps it's because only adults use my furniture.

Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • Evrythngmatters
    Evrythngmatters Posts: 187
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I am asked this question anytime someone finds out I love audio. I give the same answer year in and year out. Do yourself a favor and try one out if you have access locally. I know you want to stay at $500.oo or less but this is an investment your body will thank you for later. Just my .02

http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless/
    Everything matters. That is all.
    Money cannot buy happiness, but it sure can buy a bad **** boat to pull up along side it though.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Every suggestion is made from leather but you have to bear in mind that leather makes the balls and **** crack sweat
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Every suggestion is made from leather but you have to bear in mind that leather makes the balls and **** crack sweat

Not good leather....by the way TMI:eek::biggrin:
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2011
    Options

My Lazy-Boy isn't leather. Personally, I hate leather for seat coverings (home or car), but women look nice in leather.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited June 2011
    Options
    On3s&Z3r0s wrote: »
    This may sound dirty, but...

You might like it with your tweeters above your ears. Try a LoveSac!

lovesac---king_-sacs_-supersac-2_1.jpg

This x2
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Thrift store leather couch. 180.00
    It's VERY comfortable!!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • SolidSqual
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    I agree SS, a big old couch has a footprint of about 3'x10'? I've even got a loveseat that takes up another 3'x6' or so. Thanks for the pic of the chair and ottoman you got at BigLots, it looks like a nice set, especially for the price:) Can you adjust the recline on it?

I haven't purchase anything yet. I'm still looking right now.
  • camp21178
    camp21178 Posts: 273
    edited June 2011
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Just bought a new Lazy-Boy recliner for the two-channel. I wonder if I can sue them for naming their company after me? :biggrin:

You beat me to it!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I nice Polk Audio directors chair or my couch....moreso the couch as of late.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ricardo
    edited June 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I nice Polk Audio directors chair or my couch....moreso the couch as of late.

Are those my director chairs?

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2011
    Options
    No, I still have yours Ricardo. They'll see you at Polkfest.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Whatever is comfortable and affordable. I have an old cheapo leather recliner I got from my parents' home. Nothing special but you could fall asleep in it, so make sure you've got some upbeat tunes on before you ride it!

Really, you could spend a fortune on a chair, on your rack, on...well everything!

But don't you think you should spend most of your coin on the system itself?

Good luck with the search!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2011
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    I have no problem spending money on seating. I just feel my young **** will be just as comfortable in a $500 chair as opposed to a $1700 chair. I think seating has the same diminishing returns as audio gear. I really don't want to spend more than $500.
    Agreed on the same diminish return as the audio gear so would you agree that like your audio that demo is key rather than online shopping? Like your audio, your pick is driven by many variables which will be different from user to users.
    strider wrote: »
    No need to apologize. Your confusion may stem from an assumption that good quality is always equal to good performance. I don't care how much it costs, whether it be equipment or a listening chair, as long as it does it's job. Hopefully that makes it easier for you to understand.
    Agreed that pricing does not always equate performance however we too have to agree that up to a certain point ''you get what you pay for'' (not that 500$ would always be considered cheap for a single chair (variables there too)).

In 95 I paid 1K$ for a simple sofa and unfortunately the upholstery and support did not last too many years despite the fact that the sofa was used mostly by adults.

Last year I ''cheaped out'' on my recliners purchase seeing a deal that I felt I should not pass well, weeks after the purchase the recliners were returned. The reclining mechanism had issues right out of the boxes, upholstery material was cheap and I felt it would not last too many years.

I move to a more expensive set which so far I honestly can't complain. However, I have to admit I can not relate to the 500$ mark since I aim more toward living room, HT and comfort seating thus not a single chair (different variables).
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Are you stupid? Had to ask based on this stupid comment.
    What is stupid here dude? Quite the opposite, my comments are legitimate. Didn't you take the time to dedicate a thread about your chair purchase? Wasn't your chair selection an important factor for your listening room? You want a stupid question, why didn't chose a milk crate for your sitting position?:rolleyes: Your comment is actually the stupid comment, it does not bring anything to the table! I have not called anyone stupid or ridiculed them for their personal choice or opinion but rather asked questions to uderstand one's choice (which the OP replied). My question was related to some examples of Ikea chairs at $80 price range. I have more respect for people than calling them stupid for choosing such avenue but I would rather ask them why they would chose such for their expensive gear. Have a nice day Mr.. bright light!

For me, furniture purchase like my gear has to match my personal budget which I have to admit is humble and average. I consider my gear to be moderate-medium end but I try to maximize my spending looking for sales and best deal possible. When it comes to the seating I use to enjoy my gear, they are equally important, they need to be of decent quality and last for as long as possible. The comfort of the seating is equally important as the SQ of the gear as otherwise I would not enjoy my audition experience sitting on a milk crate type chair. So now that I've explain my self to Mr.. BrighLihgt I can let the OP carry on and will no longer disturb his thread on searching for his ultimate listening chair. :smile:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Ricardo
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The way I read it, you were ridiculing somebody for buying an $80 Ikea chair.

Mark, won't be at Polkfest this year. If you are bringing them, give one to Lou which was the original plan, and raffle the other one towards the Gittens Center.

SOPA
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited June 2011
    Options
    In the seeet spot . . . a vintage 70's lawn chair with torn and tattered green and white webbing.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    edited June 2011
    Options
    +1 on Ekornes Stressless line.

They come in different body sizes and styles; the underling metal frame design & lumbar support will last a lifetime (ie the reason they bring high $ used).

Most comfortable chair I've ever owned.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I've had one of those with the footrest for about 9 years. The frame is still in good shape, but the cushions are losing their support. No big deal, I can buy a new set from Ikea for relatively little.
    No need to apologize. Your confusion may stem from an assumption that good quality is always equal to good performance. I don't care how much it costs, whether it be equpment or a listening chair, as long as it does it's job. Hopefully that makes it easier for you to understand.
    Strider, considering the frame design I just wonder how much you weigh? I mean, take for example a guy like me that is 6'2'' and slightly over 200 pounds, wouldn't that chair tend to swing (the frame design doesn't seem to offer much rear support)?

BTW Ricardo, no ridiculing here just trying to understand. Strider provided good points and so did SolidSqual for his purchase reasoning. We all have different way of looking at things and this definitely determines our purchase behavior. I have to admit IKEA never appealed to me (I however give them a chance when in the market for some they carry) but this is by no mean any reason for ridiculing anyone that choose their products.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2011
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    Strider, considering the frame design I just wonder how much you weigh? I mean, take for example a guy like me that is 6'2'' and slightly over 200 pounds, wouldn't that chair tend to swing (the frame design doesn't seem to offer much rear support)?

I weigh 230 and am 6'2". Chair fits me perfectly. It doesn't sway, but you can rock in it a bit. So I can rock to the rock while I rock. The chair is actually stronger than it looks, though I admit that I had the same reservations before I bought mine. But then I read the literature, and the chair supports up to 375 pounds. It's very comfortable, and I like the way it looks a lot better than anything else I found, including the Ekornes (or especially, I hate overstuffed furniture). So like everything else we talk about, it all comes down to personal preferance. That, and I can't see a reason to dump 2K on a chair when 200 gets me something I'm more than happy with.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited June 2011
    Options
    On3s&Z3r0s wrote: »
    This may sound dirty, but...

You might like it with your tweeters above your ears. Try a LoveSac!

lovesac---king_-sacs_-supersac-2_1.jpg

I just got one of these :D

Not the best for critical listening with my set up but its in the study and its perfet for reading, playing guitar or watching a movie. Mine is the two person moviesac and is crazy comfy
    design is where science and art break even.
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm digging it.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited June 2011
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    I haven't purchase anything yet. I'm still looking right now.

Have you checed CL for an Ekornes Stressless? I always see them on CL Chicago and often in excellent shape <$700

I'm thinking of picking one up myself. I was using a chair from my Le Corbusier set but It's really not as comfortable as I'd like.

If you don't need armrests a Westnofa Siesta is a way comfy chair, and good looking. Or check out Innovation, who make some awesome convertible loveseats and chairs. Saw them at MOMO last year. Also I just yesterday sat in the new Restoration Hardware version of the Copenhagen chair that I ordered for a client and it's unbelievably comfortable. The hair-on-hide and leather cobo is stunning, albeit a little pricey.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • SolidSqual
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Well, I have got the chair that strikes an excellent balance between comfort and price. I know the IKEA POANG was a controversial choice, but in the end, I liked it quite a bit and got a good deal. The leather feels good and I feel the chair fits what I was looking for.

Black wood, Black leather.

poang-chair__37851_PE129808_S4.jpg
  • SolidSqual
    edited June 2011
    Options