What Listening Chair do you have???

Options
SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited July 2011 in The Clubhouse
I'm moving into a new apartment next week. In order to accomodate my bank account and the need to live closer to work, I had to sacrifice some square footage. As a result, I am paying close attention to everything I place in my new listening room. I could put a couch in the room, but I fear it may squash some of the room's dynamics and soundstage. Consequently, I am looking for just a single chair solution.

Anybody listen in a small space or have a nice chair that is fairly unobtrusive? I don't want a puffy chair. I hate IKEA styling, but essentially I need something minimalist and sleek. The sound must flow uninhibited in my room!

Thanks,

Mike

PS

Here's some food for thought on how to choose a listening chair: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1578-The-Listening-Chair
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• Almadacr
    Almadacr Posts: 185
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Are you sure you want just a chair and in a certain way limiting your usable space ????

I would prefer something like this :

CISCO-HT?$productdetails$

CISCM-HTA?$productdetails$
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I have a sharper image massage chair, but if you believe less is more, then plop a old style lawn chair down in the middle of the room, throw in an aftermarket cup holder and you'll be golden....providing of coarse that the cup holder is of audiophile quality.:tongue::smile:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SolidSqual
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Honestly, I am the only one who ever listens to my gear. Maybe once in a while I will have someone over, but that's less than five days out of a year. The couch solution just represents too much of an acoustical hinderance. I might buy two chairs just so I can have one in the closet in case I have a friend over.
  • SolidSqual
    edited June 2011
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I have a sharper image massage chair, but if you believe less is more, then plop a old style lawn chair down in the middle of the room, throw in an aftermarket cup holder and you'll be golden....providing of coarse that the cup holder is of audiophile quality.:tongue::smile:

That is a little too "less" . . . I would love to find something like an Ekornes Stressless chair that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. It has to be able to keep my butt comfy during long listening sessions.

assembly.stsenatorco.real.main.jpg

http://www.smartfurniture.com/products/Stressless-Senator-Chair.html
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ikea Poang chair. on CL, $40-80.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • SolidSqual
    edited June 2011
    Options
    poang-chair__46190_PE142932_S4.jpg

This might work and it is only $80 on their website . . . but how comfortable is it? Anyone own one? I can get a foot stool for it too.
  • Almadacr
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ok gotcha something like this :

media.nl?id=72284&c=880740&h=487d7671681f24913896

broderick05-detailed.jpg
  • On3s&Z3r0s
    On3s&Z3r0s Posts: 1,013
    edited June 2011
    Options
    This may sound dirty, but...

You might like it with your tweeters above your ears. Try a LoveSac!

lovesac---king_-sacs_-supersac-2_1.jpg
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I like Ekornes,how far back can they recline? I still have a big couch,but need to get rid of it, along with other chairs and furniture for the listening room.
  • Almadacr
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The red one is on a great price

RED Chair
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I have this, but it is NLA: http://milo.com/lane-for-staples-black-tech-executive-chair-1

Due to it's shape, there are hardly any reflections. The ergonomics and ventilation are excellent too, I've fallen asleep in this chair many times.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I just suspend myself in mid air using some rope from my ceiling. Pain in the butt to change a record, but if you get a good swing going on, I feel like I'm FLYING!

jk I know Ikea isn't the greatest but I use them similar to the chair above and find it nice and cozy.

correction, mine is more of a laid back style, with a footstool.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2011
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »

This might work and it is only $80 on their website . . . but how comfortable is it? Anyone own one? I can get a foot stool for it too.
    It's not comfortable for long periods of time.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I bought a Palliser here and really like it for my listening chair:

http://www.discountleatherchair.com/leather-recliner-ottoman.html
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    It's not comfortable for long periods of time.

I got the version with the leather cushion, and the padding seems thicker and denser. Didn't like the cloth pad at all. I sit in mine for hours and find it quite comfortable. I also have the foot rest to go with it. Any who, it works for me.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2011
    Options

I have two of these for my front row seats, all black. Had them for a couple of years now. Very comfortable, even for sitting nearly 4 hours.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • SolidSqual
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ron-P wrote: »
    I have two of these for my front row seats, all black. Had them for a couple of years now. Very comfortable, even for sitting nearly 4 hours.

I like this IKEA chair. I wonder if I could maybe get some more padding . . . the price is cheap as hell.

What about this? Perhaps my ears would be too low. Not to mention, I don't know if I always want to recline.

spacer.gif
    http://www.vcf.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10153&langId=-1&partNumber=1311468&N=4294966715+4294967163+22&Nao=13&Ns=P_Price|1&categoryId=4294967256&referrer=shelfPage
  • SolidSqual
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Not bad from Big Lots: 618001633.jpg

http://www.biglots.com/browseItem/recliners-chairs-ottomans/3856

It's not that I don't have the money to buy some more expensive furniture . . . it's just that I'd rather spend $1700 on a new piece of gear. No what I mean?
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I think you might be worried about the wrong thing- in most residential construction you're not going to over-do the absorption; reflective surfaces are a much bigger issue. The big couch is usually a good thing. If it sounds bad, it's probably because it's making you notice the bad wall reflections MORE since it's creating some space w/o them.

So- if you've already got the couch, I'd invest the cash in new wall treatments, not a new chair.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Not bad from Big Lots: 618001633.jpg

http://www.biglots.com/browseItem/recliners-chairs-ottomans/3856

It's not that I don't have the money to buy some more expensive furniture . . . it's just that I'd rather spend $1700 on a new piece of gear. No what I mean?

I bought a cheap imitation like that last year in March for $250. It's already falling apart, and wobbles horribly, it might last another 6 months. Mine's even real leather.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Just bought a new Lazy-Boy recliner for the two-channel. I wonder if I can sue them for naming their company after me? :biggrin:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2011
    Options
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106307&highlight=macy%2A

Macy's. Love it. Actual pictures in the second page of the thread.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2011
    Options

I've had one of those with the footrest for about 9 years. The frame is still in good shape, but the cushions are losing their support. No big deal, I can buy a new set from Ikea for relatively little.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2011
    Options
    strider wrote: »
    I've had one of those with the footrest for about 9 years. The frame is still in good shape, but the cushions are losing their support. No big deal, I can buy a new set from Ikea for relatively little.
    It is hard for me to understand people that are willing to invest a bundle and more for their gear, room treatment, cables etc... and bails out when it comes to investing in comfortable seating to enjoy the listening from their expensive toys??? High end electronics and then settles for IKEA lower end seating, sorry but... :confused:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited June 2011
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    It is hard for me to understand people that are willing to invest a bundle and more for their gear, room treatment, cables etc... and bails out when it comes to investing in comfortable seating to enjoy the listening from their expensive toys??? High end electronics and then settles for IKEA lower end seating, sorry but... :confused:

Maybe they spent all the money on equipment?:smile:

Personally, we just bought new carpeting, sofa, chair w/matching ottoman, and a recliner for my listening/HT room. Carpeting should be installed on 7-7, hopefully get the new trim installed the same day, and then furniture the next day.

I can't wait, took 10 years to talk my wife into new carpet (it's over 30 years old!). Although I'm not looking forward to tearing the system down, emptying the room, and then re-installing it all.
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited June 2011
    Options

I have this as well... in red... I have no problem sitting in it for hours on end I think its a cheap comfortable seating option and you can get other cushions which are more comfortable than the base cushion, you'll pay more for the upgraded cushions but its a good chair overall IMO.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • SolidSqual
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I have no problem spending money on seating. I just feel my young **** will be just as comfortable in a $500 chair as opposed to a $1700 chair. I think seating has the same diminishing returns as audio gear. I really don't want to spend more than $500.
  • SolidSqual
    edited June 2011
    Options
    All points are well taken on the Big Lots and IKEA stuff. It's all cheap Chinese garbage. Hmmmmm . . . I'm just gonna have to shop around and see if I can find a deal on some nice chair.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2011
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »

No need to apologize. Your confusion may stem from an assumption that good quality is always equal to good performance. I don't care how much it costs, whether it be equpment or a listening chair, as long as it does it's job. Hopefully that makes it easier for you to understand.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Wife bought me this for our anniversary last November.

http://www.csnstores.com/Comfort-Products-Leisure-Recliner-Chair-with-8-Motor-Heat-Massager-60-078011-CFP1056.html

It's pretty well-made (holds my 250lbs:eek:), and is very comfortable. Also has lots of different massage options as well as heat.

She shopped around quite a bit, this was about 1/2 the price of any chair she liked.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/