Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I’m grateful for two things:
    Flea market
    Used market

Fixed it

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Free market
    Used market

... and roadsides. Roadsides are a favorite form of high-value audiophile shopping.

B)

What about REBEL roadsides?

do654c20y2u3.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Free market
    Used market

... and roadsides. Roadsides are a favorite form of high-value audiophile shopping.

B)

I've experienced that option just a few weeks ago. An audio rack and AR4x's. Just two houses apart and around the corner from me. Now to find a roadside receiver. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited July 2019
    It's still about synergy. If you hear an amp that cost $100,000 on speakers that cost $100,000 and aren't impressed, then, maybe they weren't meant for each other.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Free market
    Used market

You forgot the third Joe....

Coffee....always be thankful for coffee because without it guys like me would be in jail for choking people to death.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    tonyb wrote: »
    Free market
    Used market

Coffee....always be thankful for coffee because without it guys like me would be in jail for choking people to death.

Yeah, yeah -- but without the coffee, you'd be chokin' folks to death without much enthusiasm.

B)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    tonyb wrote: »
    Free market
    Used market

Preach it brother Tony
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Joey_V wrote: »
    My $31,000 silver speaker wires by Audioquest called the WEL. Don't get me wrong, they sound great... but does silver really cost $27,000 more than the copper version aka Audioquest Oak?

Raw silver is not expensive. Purifying the silver, then milling/drawing/polishing the wire a certain way ads cost. Then there is the cost of low noise wire insulation. Then there is R&D. Then there is a chain of people between the manufacturer and the consumer who have to make a living, plus the economies of small market size. It adds up.

We could ask the same question of a 400 series Lexus...after all, its just some steel, copper wiring, wood trim, plastic, leather, and glass. Do these materials really cost so much?
    Wilson Sabrina - $18000 for a modified MDF with X Material speaker with off the shelf (though modified) drivers? Come on. And don't say economies of scale. The factory already has the ability to build speakers so it's not like they came out with a product requiring a new CNC machine.

If Wilson is just making ordinary cabinets with modified off the shelf cabinets, then yes they are way overpriced. However, if this were the case, it would be easy to make significantly lower cost duplicates of Wilson speakers. I have yet to see that done, or even attempted.

The same goes for your AudioQuest WEL silver cables. If all AQ is doing is taking silver wire and putting them in fancy jackets with jewelry quality terminations, it should be a simple matter for a DIY'er, or another wire manufacturer, to duplicate their look and performance for significantly less money. Asian counterfeiters of AQ cables can't even accurately duplicate the look of AQ's product packaging, let alone the cables themselves.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    My $31,000 silver speaker wires by Audioquest called the WEL. Don't get me wrong, they sound great... but does silver really cost $27,000 more than the copper version aka Audioquest Oak?

Raw silver is not expensive. Purifying the silver, then milling/drawing/polishing the wire a certain way ads cost. Then there is the cost of low noise wire insulation. Then there is R&D. Then there is a chain of people between the manufacturer and the consumer who have to make a living, plus the economies of small market size. It adds up.

We could ask the same question of a 400 series Lexus...after all, its just some steel, copper wiring, wood trim, plastic, leather, and glass. Do these materials really cost so much?
    Wilson Sabrina - $18000 for a modified MDF with X Material speaker with off the shelf (though modified) drivers? Come on. And don't say economies of scale. The factory already has the ability to build speakers so it's not like they came out with a product requiring a new CNC machine.

If Wilson is just making ordinary cabinets with modified off the shelf cabinets, then yes they are way overpriced. However, if this were the case, it would be easy to make significantly lower cost duplicates of Wilson speakers. I have yet to see that done, or even attempted.

The same goes for your AudioQuest WEL silver cables. If all AQ is doing is taking silver wire and putting them in fancy jackets with jewelry quality terminations, it should be a simple matter for a DIY'er, or another wire manufacturer, to duplicate their look and performance for significantly less money. Asian counterfeiters of AQ cables can't even accurately duplicate the look of AQ's product packaging, let alone the cables themselves.

Yet the wel is basically an oak in all silver conductors. The jacket and insulation are the same.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • DarqueKnight
    Yet the wel is basically an oak in all silver conductors. The jacket and insulation are the same.

I consulted AQ's 2016 catalog. The specs for the following four speaker cable models show the only differences as conductor material and jacket color. There are wide variations in prices for an 8 foot pair:

Oak $3,040, all copper conductors.
    Redwood, $8,800, 10 copper conductors and 6 silver conductors
    Wild Wood, $18,400, 4 copper conductors and 12 copper conductors
    WEL Signature, $31,200, all silver conductors.

I sent an email to AQ asking the reasons for the price differences.

• kharp1
    I'm pretty sure there were some serious differences in insulator material. That was one of the things that separated the WEL's in that they had to have a different geometry due to the sizing and type of sandwiching of insulator material. Not sure if there was a difference in the NDR they use.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    If you want the best, in anything, you have to pay for it. Know why the Wels cost what they do ? Because people like you will pay the price.

Same with 100k speakers, 30k preamps and amps, cars, appliances, clothes, etc. Sometimes it's worth the extra coin, sometimes not. I'd opine that in the world of audio, the super high end isn't going to give you that much more in sound quality than their prices would dictate they should.

That's not just a personal observation either, we've all been to shows and heard a 50k system you wouldn't give 2 nickels for sound wise.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    Here is the response from AudioQuest:

"The difference was conductor quality. It's unfortunate that, as good as good quality silver is, it's expensive. But it's so obviously better than even very high quality copper. However, the new cables are vastly superior to the old models, even comparing new cables at a much lower price to one in the previous line. This is thanks to their design. While conductor quality is obviously a very important element of cable design, it's only part of the story, as the new ZERO cables prove."

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited July 2019
    Well of course they are going to tow the line and say the new cables are VASTLY superior to the older design. No company is going to say well these are great BUT no difference than the older cables but we'd like you to pay for our R+D for trying to better ourselves.

One thing I wish audioquest would bring back is their cable archive page to be able to tell exactly what the older cables they've had in the past are made of to be able to compare newer cable to their older lines. Sometime in the last two years they completely remove any and all references to these older lines of cables. That page went back 25 yrs. Even their recent cables like Diamondback and King Cobra cables are gone for reference.

• joecoulson
    I agree completely Ivan, I like AQ stuff, but there is definitely some fluff in their products for the name - I have only once paid retail for their stuff, that was the type 4 cables i got from BB, if you can find good deals, there stuff is worth it, but not at their retail prices
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well of course they are going to tow the line and say the new cables are VASTLY superior to the older design. No company is going to say well these are great BUT no difference than the older cables but we'd like you to pay for our R+D for trying to better ourselves.

One thing I wish audioquest would bring back is their cable archive page to be able to tell exactly what the older cables they've had in the past are made of to be able to compare newer cable to their older lines. Sometime in the last two years they completely remove any and all references to these older lines of cables. That page went back 25 yrs. Even their recent cables like Diamondback and King Cobra cables are gone for reference.
    If you've got a link*, there's always the Wayback Machine :)

https://archive.org/web/

EDIT: Question: @pitdogg2 was the cable archive page you mention an earlier version of this?
    https://www.aqarchive.com/

• mhardy6647
    edited July 2019
    mmm... looks like maybe they did a pretty good job of bleaching their past pages(?)

5zlj90soz2ir.png

a8svdo5qsw1z.png

• pitdogg2
    edited July 2019
    mmm... looks like maybe they did a pretty good job of bleaching their past pages(?)

5zlj90soz2ir.png

a8svdo5qsw1z.png

See I told you so :D:D:D

EDIT: Question: @pitdogg2 was the cable archive page you mention an earlier version of this?
    https://www.aqarchive.com/

You da MAN Doc !! yes that is it. it is a great reference.. well IMHO yours may differ

I'm not near smart enough to find that which you dug up.
    ;)
  • pitdogg2
    If you go back you'll see for an example Python became Viper then Viper became King Cobra and now it is Yukon in the newest series.The only thing that changed is the name and colors of braiding used. Unlike the previous series the step below that uses (PSC) like the Diamondback was to the King Cobra( PSC+) which used air tubes as well the Mackenzie now uses Hard Cell Foam insulation which was two steps down in previous cables. Now Mackenzie still used triple balanced geometry where two steps down in previous lines was only double balanced

I do believe Audioquest intentionally does this to combat counterfeiters. Of course price does increase along the way either because of material cost or other unknown reasons.
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If you go back you'll see for an example Python became Viper then Viper became King Cobra and now it is Yukon in the newest series.The only thing that changed is the name and colors of braiding used.

Those... those... churlish rascals! :)
    Unlike the previous series the step below that uses (PSC) like the Diamondback was to the King Cobra( PSC+) which used air tubes as well the Mackenzie now uses Hard Cell Foam insulation which was two steps down in previous cables. Now Mackenzie still used triple balanced geometry where two steps down in previous lines was only double balanced

I do believe Audioquest intentionally does this to combat counterfeiters. Of course price does increase along the way either because of material cost or other unknown reasons.

• joecoulson
    Ivan, do you own (and like) Audioquest stuff?
  • joecoulson
    Here we go again.
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 2019
    Ivan, do you own (and like) Audioquest stuff?

Yes it is all King Cobra except in the case of my 3 meter amp to pre IC's Black Mamba. I've used many of their IC's. I like both the diamondback and King Cobra's. I've also used the evergreen and Topaz series.

You might be onto something Skip. That was just my logical guess is all.
  • kharp1

"The difference was conductor quality. It's unfortunate that, as good as good quality silver is, it's expensive. But it's so obviously better than even very high quality copper. However, the new cables are vastly superior to the old models, even comparing new cables at a much lower price to one in the previous line. This is thanks to their design. While conductor quality is obviously a very important element of cable design, it's only part of the story, as the new ZERO cables prove."

That's interesting...I read this article a few days ago and was referencing it when I made my post. Curious which one is true, or, how much of each is true:

https://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/component/content/article?id=218:audioquest-wel-signature-interconnects
  • pitdogg2
    kharp1 wrote: »

That's interesting...I read this article a few days ago and was referencing it when I made my post. Curious which one is true, or, how much of each is true:

https://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/component/content/article?id=218:audioquest-wel-signature-interconnects

Nice read Kerry :)
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I believe the new AQ line has zero characteristic impedance but they want you to basically buy 2 full looms for each speaker’s mid/hi and bass.

No thank you.

Is it better? Maybe. But I can think of many more things I would rather benefit from for the money.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mhardy6647
    zero characteristic impedance.

all righty then.

• DarqueKnight
    I believe the new AQ line has zero characteristic impedance but they want you to basically buy 2 full looms for each speaker’s mid/hi and bass.

No thank you.

It costs a lot to live well in southern California.