Polk LSiM 705 & 707 towers just went on sale (7/16/19)! Which to get, and why?

Options

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    Thanks. The only way to know for sure is to ask Denon, but their reluctance to publish a 5 channel power spec makes me think getting such information from them would be difficult.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Landmonster
    Options
    Not to detail the thread.

Any amp advice for this proposed set-up?
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options

I think this would make them sing nicely: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasound-HCA-1205A-5-Channel-140-watts-Amplifier/183877919639?epid=66783576&hash=item2acffa6397:g:MLEAAOSwxM1dJtiV
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Bryston also a good option for the LSiMs.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Skip..tusk tusk

Always peddling the T+A

km2utqt71c2f.png
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Skip..tusk tusk

Always peddling the T+A

km2utqt71c2f.png

Keiko worthy...
  • juice2544
    juice2544 Posts: 22
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have the 705s & 706 on the way with a cheap Yamaha receiver and was also wondering which amp would be ideal (any options for lower price range?)
    mfn9d78s5en1.png
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Maybe a used ADCOM from CL
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Been a while since I paid much attention to HT, but I would get separate pre-amp and amplifier. Figure around $5K for a start. You get what you pay for.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    For new, Emotiva is the starting point and it all goes up from there.

A nice Marantz 8802 pre with a good Parasound amp is ideal
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • marvda1
    Options
    @landmonster, did you get achance to go listen to the sonus fabers ?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • juice2544
    juice2544 Posts: 22
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    For new, Emotiva is the starting point and it all goes up from there.

A nice Marantz 8802 pre with a good Parasound amp is ideal
    Can I keep my current tsr 5830 and add either Parasound 2125v2 150w, Marantz MM7025 140w, or Emotiva XPA 2 or 3 Gen3? (will the LSIM 706 need to be on an amp? Sorry, trying to grasp the basics of what I need to get it running with hopefully minimal cost)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk Juice. Unfortunately, your Yamaha doesn't have preouts to add a separate amplifier. You will have to save more money, and replace it with a much better receiver. Denon, Marantz, Pioneer are favorites around here. Here are a few to take a look at that would fit the bill.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3400h/denon-avr-x3400h-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5012/marantz-sr5012-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR5013-7-2-Compatibility-Streaming-Automation/dp/B07FMPVMRL/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=marantz+receiver&qid=1563718184&s=gateway&sr=8-3

These will do until you are able to get a separate amp to add to it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk Juice. Unfortunately, your Yamaha doesn't have preouts to add a separate amplifier. You will have to save more money, and replace it with a much better receiver. Denon, Marantz, Pioneer are favorites around here..

Crazy how Amazon is growing with availability!!! Here's another choice from AC4L @juice2544 https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marmm7055/marantz-mm7055-5-ch-x-140-watts-power-amplifier/1.html

Sorry for derailing your thread @Landmonster

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • joecoulson
    Options
    I have the SR5013 and it’s a great inexpensive HT option.
  • Landmonster
    Options
    No worries, and thanks for the input so far. It seems clear that the 707s now will sound better than the 705s, given appropriate amplification. So, that would be my preferred long-term goal.

The problem is, however, is that I can't afford "proper amplification" (ie. an expensive amp) and also 707s at the same time without going into debt. :'( I could swing it sooner with a pair of 705s, since they are about $520 cheaper.... and I could get a decent 2 channel used amp.

As an update, Adorama just dropped the price the on these speakers again. Lol.... see link here:

https://www.adorama.com/g/polk-audio-LSiM-series-sale?sdtid=12992437&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

I'm still trying to make sense of my options, given my budget constraints.

Options:
    1. Get the 707s, wait several months to get an amp.
    2. Get the 705s, get an amp much sooner.
    3. Get an amp now to power my 703/706c combo, and wait to get towers later.

Questions:
    1. Does anyone know when these LSiM speakers will truly no longer be available for sale new? I keep hearing rumors that these will be discontinued at some point.
    2. Would either the 705s or 707s be passable with the Denon? Or would both sound equally frustrating/under-powered/flat, etc?
    3. Would the 703/706c combo benefit from a power amp? Or does the main benefit of the power amp pertain to the 705 or 707 towers?

• Landmonster
    Landmonster Posts: 79
    edited July 2019
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I think this would make them sing nicely: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasound-HCA-1205A-5-Channel-140-watts-Amplifier/183877919639?epid=66783576&hash=item2acffa6397:g:MLEAAOSwxM1dJtiV

I'm sure that is a nice amp, and the price seems good. However, other comments have led me to think the 707s sound best with 250+ real watts per channel.

Edit: However... I'm sure that would be a pretty nice amp for the 703s? One option I haven't fully explored would be to buy more 703s for all around, use an amplifier like that one.... then add a sub sooner.
  • Landmonster
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Nothing has ever lit up LSiM speakers like the T+A amps. You might be able to find an older amp for a decent price.

What is a T+A amp? I'm not familiar with the terminology there.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Nothing has ever lit up LSiM speakers like the T+A amps. You might be able to find an older amp for a decent price.

It's not a term, but a manufacturer of high-end audio.

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • marvda1
    Options

https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/?doing_wp_cron=1563739678.2817680835723876953125
    Puritan PSM156
  • Landmonster
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/?doing_wp_cron=1563739678.2817680835723876953125

Ah ok. The 3000 HV amp comes in at a cool $19,000.

If I had that kind of cash for an amp, I'd probably be looking at speakers better than LSiMs, and a have a dedicated media room with all sorts of treatments.
  • Landmonster
    Options
    This is one amp I was considering. Not sure if it is well regarded here, or not.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15593
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Geesh dude, just buy something.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    This is one amp I was considering. Not sure if it is well regarded here, or not.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15593

Monoprice just got into the amplifier market, and as far as I know no one on here owns one. We all have to start somewhere.

It's got good power and 5 channels, which is the most important thing. If you can afford it as well as whichever of the LSIM towers you decide on go for it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I'd get the 707 at that price and save for a good amp. Emotiva are not bad (I use one and like it). I almost got the Monoprice but a couple of reviews saying they get burning hot stopped me.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Monoprice amps are made by ATI.

There's nothing wrong with a class A/B amp getting hot. Generally, that means it's biased to class A, which is good thing. A bad reason for one to run hot is insufficient heatsinks. Looking inside the ATI/Monoprice it's almost all heatsinks, so it must be biased to class A since it runs hot.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I forgot to mention another reason for an amp like that to run hot. People shove them inside cabinets without allowing for proper airflow. An amp needs a minimum of 6 inches above with the cabinet open front and back.

President of Club Polk

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I recommend Outlaw for about the same money as Emotiva or monoprice.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7000x.html
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant