Good ole UPS

oldrocker
oldrocker Posts: 2,590
In my neck of the woods we don't have many places to go listen to speakers.

I've been trying different speakers off and on for a while now. Order some, listen for a while and keep looking.

A few days ago, this is what UPS left out by the road. Although I was outside at the time of delivery, he just sat these on the ground next to where I was standing, got in his truck and off he went.

Perhaps I expect too much by way of customer/delivery service??????

Lovely boxes eh?

c44y5pdfsqw1.jpg
fbi6ulceqlun.jpg
2z569qvab6bj.jpg
katvtzpmflzo.jpg
77ybrka9syrm.jpg

All packed up and ready to return.
Dead tweeter in this guy.

dvewd4gac6td.jpg

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I bought a 34" curved widescreen computer monitor a couple months ago. Large and awkward double boxing. Saw the UPS guy tipping the box end over end all the way up my driveway. No harm though since it was extremely well packed by the manufacturer to survive UPS. Once he reached my front door, I picked the box up myself and carried it in my house! It had grab handles.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    And the putz has a dolly
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • oldrocker
    Got some KEF's supposed to be here tomorrow, probably be the same guy :(

He'll carry them to the house this time, I just got a bad back..... >:)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    You HOPE he'll carry it to the house. He might just stand by his truck and toss them at the front door!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Got some KEF's supposed to be here tomorrow, probably be the same guy :(

He'll carry them to the house this time, I just got a bad back..... >:)

What kind of KEFs?
  • oldrocker
    Trying the Q950's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I bought a 34" curved widescreen computer monitor a couple months ago. Large and awkward double boxing. Saw the UPS guy tipping the box end over end all the way up my driveway. No harm though since it was extremely well packed by the manufacturer to survive UPS. Once he reached my front door, I picked the box up myself and carried it in my house! It had grab handles.

You hit on a key point, "extremely well packed by the manufacturer", which unfortunately too many don't do. I just had a pair of monitors here on demo. Each weighed 26lbs., so not a lot. They were packed one speaker per box with TWO soft bags protecting the finish, cradled top and bottom in spongy foam then TRIPLE boxed. Impressive!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I bought a 34" curved widescreen computer monitor a couple months ago. Large and awkward double boxing. Saw the UPS guy tipping the box end over end all the way up my driveway.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    And the putz has a dolly

FedEx gets their licks in too. It really depends on the attitude of the driver though.

At the beginning of the year FedEx delivered a 55" OLED TV to my home. I was expecting a morning delivery and I heard the truck when it stopped in front of my house. I stood at the front door as the driver went to unload my TV. To my horror, she began rolling the long, flat box end-over-end across my lawn. I screamed out "Lady STOP! That's a glass panel television!". She stopped and I ran out to her. I asked her why didn't she use the dolly that I KNEW had to be on the truck. She said the box was heavy (62.5 lbs.) and she didn't feel like putting it on the dolly (but she felt like rolling it end-over-end to my door). I asked her to show me where her dolly was. She did and I wheeled the TV inside my house myself. She was supposed to wait until I inspected for damage, but she said she didn't have time for that. I noted her refusal on the acceptance bill and I notified the shipper of the horrible delivery service.

My second 55" OLED TV was also delivered by FedEx, but the driver rolled the TV inside my house. He was courteous, professional, and waited until I inspected the TV for damage before leaving.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Does the first TV work?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DarqueKnight
    Yes. No problems at all. I inspected its physical and electrical condition immediately after the FedEx driver left.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116

FedEx gets their licks in too. It really depends on the attitude of the driver though.

Exactly!! I've had horrible drivers but my latest is a fairly young gal that's a bit petite. She has a dolly and will even knock on my door and ask me for help if she needs it, she knows I'm glad to.

Just today she did that very thing, it was a box with a pair of LSiM702's, she said, it's kinda heavy for me, but probably not for you!! She's a good kid :)
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL. Kudos to unknown manufacturing/packaging company.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I watched the UPS guy walk on my Magnepan MG20 boxes, and by the look of them, he had been doing it all day. I went off on the guy.... I swear they get the circus gorilla rejects.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    :s Crazy!!

It's like a guy with a big belt buckle working on an engine leaning over a fender! STUPIDS! >:)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Great. You guys have me all nervous. UPS is delivering my replacement Auralic this week 😐
  • Tony M
    Maybe you'll get an empathetic driver to deliver it. B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Tony M wrote: »
    Maybe you'll get an apathetic driver to deliver it. B)

Fixed to reflect the most likely scenario...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Good ole Fedex is no better. This tuner was packed by them and only had to travel about 100 miles to my house. The sad part is I told the seller not to let them do the packing.bo57nxiplfua.jpg
    w59ffq17xqfi.jpg
  • F1nut
    Ouch!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Wow. Terrible.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    That'll buff right out
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Lesson learned-I've thought about letting FedEx pack shipments so they would be held accountable

Guess it only gets packed well pending on who's doing the packing :'(
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Good ole Fedex is no better. This tuner was packed by them and only had to travel about 100 miles to my house. The sad part is I told the seller not to let them do the packing.bo57nxiplfua.jpg
    w59ffq17xqfi.jpg

good thing is if it's damaged they can't deny the claim as they packed it.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Lesson learned-I've thought about letting FedEx pack shipments so they would be held accountable

Guess it only gets packed well pending on who's doing the packing :'(

FedEx only has bubble wrap and peanuts for packing material. Neither is sufficient for audio/video gear.

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    Good ole Fedex is no better. This tuner was packed by them and only had to travel about 100 miles to my house.
    w59ffq17xqfi.jpg

That looks deliberate.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    My guess is it got speared by a forklift. Probably didnt even make to the truck in one piece
  • DarqueKnight
    My guess is that it got thrown and landed on its face.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited July 2019
    My guess is that it got thrown and landed on its face.

Agree,

Forklift would have a lot more damage and a big fork hole going through the box. I'm a warehouse manager and I see a lot of broken computer equipment come in. If it goes FedEx, UPS or OnTrac it will get tossed, stepped on and dropped. Just today the FedEx guy tossed a $3500 scanner on my dock, like dude what the... I just finished the RMA on it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Tony M
    WOW. :o

I'm glad you're sending it back!